fta recievers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And I tell ya something else, I would be scared to death to download any of those softwares from the Hacking websites. It may just be a FBI sting to get as many folks who want to hack their receivers to get all the "goodies... "
I thank God for my honesty and for this great site who put down hacking... This site make FTA a great and honest hobby!
Keep up the great work, Satelliteguys!!!!

I don't understand why so many people confuse FTA with hacking.

The law is very simple. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) forbids the DECRYPTING of any ENCRYPTED signal or stream. This means from a satellite dish or from a DVD, it is all the same.

If the stream is NOT encrypted, then no law is being broken, as no reverse engineering of copy protection is being employed.

Every so often, I run into someone who, for some reason or other, talks satellite with me. Invariably, the subject always comes down to hacking, and I have to insist that FTA is something completely different, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with hacking.

It is an interesting perspective. For example, CCTV4 is part of a Direct TV package which is sold for $46.98/month. However, it is offered free on G3C. So someone might look upon this as stealing CCTV4 which is part of Direct TV's subscription package. I seriously doubt Direct TV is paying CCTV4 for its content.

Disagree

Directv must be paying CCTV to sell its content; it cannot just unilaterally re-sell it as there are copy right issues etc.

It sells the CCTV broadcast to people who want it and do not have FTA systems. This is good for CCTV, which can be seen and collects a fee.

Tron's "perspective" as Galaxtis desribes it, is correct. You can put an antenna outside and receve any unencrypted free signal. It is not illegal decryption when the antenna receives the signal and transmits it to a TV which converts it into a visible image.

That is why you can receive free local broadcasts. The same holds true for an unencrypted sattelite signal. the dish receives it and a receiver converts the signal into an image which can be shown on TV.

Directv sells local stations. But, you do not need DIRECTV to see your local stations.

In these days where cable and sattelite providers dominate the scene, it is easily forgotten that all you need to watch TV without paying is an antenna.

Using the Directv/CCTV example as an illustration. CVCTV, like local stations, broadcast in the clear. But, if you do not have an FTA system, you cannot get CCTV (just like if you do not have an antenna,you cannot get local stations). In that case, you have to pay a provider who carries it (just like you pay for local stations on Directv).

That said, it is illegal to to use a device which decrypts encrypted signals which are for sale. Thus, receivers which have softwear to do that are illegal.

And,that is the difference between hacking and honest FTA'ers like me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.