FTA sat only

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I thought that the 2 year contract releases you from that obligation. If you terminate the contract prior to that you have to pay a penalty but I always thought that either way you owned the equipment. But, DN's business practices have to be viewed with scrutiny. In other words, you better read the fine print.

We haven't even had Directv again for a year now and my wife and I are talking about cutting the cord again, there's just too little to watch, we are in a promo so all we pay is 55/mo, but we use it so little, its a waste of money. They upped the ETF to 20/month, so its gonna be quite a chunk of change to sent it all back, but I just may have a few things to sell to cover some of that...and directv's boxes and labels at least are prepaid. JUST MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE TRACKING INFORMATION NO MATTER WHAT, because they tried to charge me one time when they said I didnt send their boxes back...OH no, pal, I saved the tracking info...FEDEX says YOU have them, signed for and all. :D

I haven't had dish or cable for several years now. Don't miss it at all. I never liked most of the garbage they had on there anyway. I've got three fta dishes(101w, 97w, 30w, 125w) and about ten OTA channels. I'm happy with what I got.

I bought my own dshnetwrk equipmt several yrs ago on ebay. I have since subscribed and canceled two or three times. As above, my wife wants the locals and family package all on one remote. When I came into C-Bandife changed. It's all we watch.

But there is never a problem with canceling. They always ask why? Answer is always the same; "we don't watch it. Check the log and see"; but they already know.

I thought that the 2 year contract releases you from that obligation. If you terminate the contract prior to that you have to pay a penalty but I always thought that either way you owned the equipment. But, DN's business practices have to be viewed with scrutiny. In other words, you better read the fine print.

I thought the same. You own the equipment after the contract is up. Am I wrong or have they changed their policy?

RADAR

We haven't even had Directv again for a year now and my wife and I are talking about cutting the cord again, there's just too little to watch, we are in a promo so all we pay is 55/mo, but we use it so little, its a waste of money. They upped the ETF to 20/month, so its gonna be quite a chunk of change to sent it all back, but I just may have a few things to sell to cover some of that...and directv's boxes and labels at least are prepaid. JUST MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE TRACKING INFORMATION NO MATTER WHAT, because they tried to charge me one time when they said I didnt send their boxes back...OH no, pal, I saved the tracking info...FEDEX says YOU have them, signed for and all. :D

I haven't had dish or cable for several years now. Don't miss it at all. I never liked most of the garbage they had on there anyway. I've got three fta dishes(101w, 97w, 30w, 125w) and about ten OTA channels. I'm happy with what I got.

I bought my own dshnetwrk equipmt several yrs ago on ebay. I have since subscribed and canceled two or three times. As above, my wife wants the locals and family package all on one remote. When I came into C-Bandife changed. It's all we watch.

But there is never a problem with canceling. They always ask why? Answer is always the same; "we don't watch it. Check the log and see"; but they already know.

Yeah, why are you cancelling your subscription to our service? Well... It sucks! That's why!

I haven't had a sub account for many years. One of the main reasons I got away from it, besides the cost, was that their programming was really quite lame.

If they would allow the "A la Carte" subscription, I think that many people would stick with it. But, they can't make money that way (or so they believe).

I believe that if they offered the "A la Carte" subscription, that they would find out that specific channels would be refused by the viewers and be cancelled eventually.

To my way of thinking, that is the proper approach. If the service, the channel, is lame and no one likes it, why should it be subsidized by the veiwers to keep it on the market? If it is crap get rid of it. If it is good, people will want to buy it through the "A la Carte" system.

They just want to sell us on something that we don't want, don't use and don't like.

How about allowing us to chose what is good for us to watch, rather than THEM telling us what they want us to watch?

Yeah, that is why I like FTA satellite TV. I don't have to pay some jackwagon to watch something I don't like.

They proclaim that they offer the newest movies available, fresh off the cutting room floor... I don't want to watch those movies, they are crap. I want to see the good stuff! There are NO good actors anymore, they are all deceased or retired. There are no good directors or movie writers either. They haven't made many good movies since the 80's. Only a few since then.

The last movie I saw in the theater was "Star Trek - The Motion Picture" back around 1980 or so. There hasn't been a movie as good as that to prompt me to go to a theater since. Why would I want to watch movies at home if I don't like them in the cinema? If it is a junk movie in the cinema, it's a piece of junk on my TV , too. Why should I pay for it if I hate it?

With FTA, I can turn it off and it didn't cost me a dime! Doggone right, this is the way it SHOULD be!

RADAR

If they would allow the "A la Carte" subscription, I think that many people would stick with it. But, they can't make money that way (or so they believe).

Back in 2000 Charlie did offer "A la Carte" and that is why I fell for him! I watched my package for a month or two and decided what channels I wanted to keep. When I got on the phone with "Peggy" he said that they do not offer "A la Carte"anymore. Then my credit/refund just kind of vaporized!!! :mad:

I think that the cost per channel to the consumer in a "A la Carte" package would be more even in their big "home mortgage" package. The pizza shops would make a lot more money and stuff their pockets so full that their pants would drop! I only watched about 10 different channels so "A la Carte" would of cut my bill to less than half! Yes I probably would of stayed eating pizza but you know what happens when pizza gets caught in the rain!!! Like Sargent Shultz on Hogan's Heros would tell you, "I see nothing!" :eek:

Would like to see some mechanism to control the cost of talent, and a la carte maybe is one of them. ESPN would need to hit back hard on their content providers, the NFL, the NBA, etc., and that isn't going to happen if every cable subscription, including those who don't watch ESPN, is forced to purchase their package. Seems to me ESPN has too much money which it spends like there's no tomorrow.

For me, give me better HD picture quality and fewer cat box filler chump channels. You say the Oprah Channel wants to get paid? Not with my dime! The experts say a la carte would increase costs, but then why are costs so astronomical without it? So they'd be even higher under a la carte? Really, do you think the younger generation who already sees little need for pay TV aren't going abandon an expensive multichannel subscription model as the present customer base gets even grayer and finally dies off? You wanna buy a new Oldsmobile, sonny?

Last edited:
I thought the same. You own the equipment after the contract is up. Am I wrong or have they changed their policy?

If you purchased the equipment then yes you own it and can do what you want with it. There is also no contract
If you go with the 2 year agreement you are leasing the equipment and it has to be returned when you cancel.

If you purchased the equipment then yes you own it and can do what you want with it. There is also no contract
If you go with the 2 year agreement you are leasing the equipment and it has to be returned when you cancel.

I thought that was the case with the IRD (with a contract and lease), but I had the impression that they left the dish and LNBF. Maybe that was dependent on how old the outdoor equipment was and left up to the discretion of the local installer / un-installer? Don't they have to leave the mount at least, regardless, since it is physically attached to the house?

RADAR

alot of it does have to do with how old the equipment is.

Most Legacy equipment (the older non dish pro) or if you leased says a 311 receiver (basic SD receiver) they usually dont want it back. It all depends on when you cancel what you have.
As noted if you can't get to the LNB then Dish wont throw a fit. But they do like the receivers back.

I still get letters from Directv asking me to come back ever since I divorced them several years ago. When that satellite went up, I was one of their first subscribers with a subscriber number of 034000+. We had to buy the equipment and, at the time, they charged $big $bucks for it....around $850, if I recall correctly. I installed the dish myself. My first installation. Finally couldn't pay the bill so suspended the account for 6 months...but they wouldn't allow me to suspend an additional 6 months and I cancelled. It was nice to have when the kids were around. I only ever watched The Simpsons the last few years, so the price per episode was pretty high.
FTA is soooo much more fun because often it's about the content of the programming, but mostly it's about the fun and challenge of taking aim at that invisible bird in the sky and getting a hit.
I don't miss Directv AT ALL!

I still get letters from Directv asking me to come back ever since I divorced them several years ago.
I never had them and I get letters from them all the time, too. The local DirecTV guy lives across the street from me. I noticed he was doing a new install two doors down from me yesterday, on Sunday. Does he get time and a half on Sunday? Oh, cable and Dish send me letters all the time, too. Must cost a fortune to do all that direct marketing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)