FTA setup problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sfour001

Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi, I'm trying to setup an fta system with a 33' dish, one Sonicview linear lnbf,
& a new Sonicview 360 Premier. The dish mast is plumb & grounded. I've been
trying to aim the dish to the coordinates to recieve AMC4 101.0 W. @ el. 45.9 & azim. [mag.] @ 137.2 deg. I got this info from dish finder.com , according to my location. All I can get so far with many dish readjustments is a good signal
strength 90+, but always 0 quality level on the setup screen. I also tried
different LNB & transponder settings on the setup screen, to no avail.
I had a small TV & the reciever up on the roof with me While doing all this.
Also, I was using cheapie analog inline db meter & it registered a strong signal
at some points, but still no luck. The logo on the dish front has been spray
painted over, would this matter? I am very new at all of this, any help?

Painting over a logo wouldn't hurt anything. Is your lnbf a universal or standard? The setting for a universal should be 10600 in the satellite setup screen on your receiver, a standard lnbf should be 10750. That's listed as "LO" or local oscillator in the satellite setup. Pick an active transponder from your target satellite, and slowly pan the dish east and west, watching for signal activity. If nothing, try adjusting the elevation down a little and try again, the indicators on satellite dishes can be off by quite a bit. Takes patience and time but you should hit the satellite signal by panning back and forth.

Play with the skew. Rotate the lnb slowly clockwise or counter clockwise. If you are on the bird, that should get you some quality. You can "guess" where it should be by pointing true south, then marking the 6 oclock position. Line up the lnb with that. That should get you close. Minor adjustments will be needed I'm sure as that is a rough way to get started with skew. Have a great day!

What has helped me in the past is to blindscan the sat you have a strong signal on and find out what bird your pointed at. If you find some channels you can use TheList on this site or lyngsat to determine which sat it is, if the receiver doesn't tell you.
Once you know which satellite your aimed at you will know which direction to move the dish to get the one you are looking for.

I found out using this method that I was over 10 degrees west of the satellite I thought I was pointing my dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts