fta system in chicago

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rstokas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
I am new to this but really want FTA to watch sports and news from other cities. I see that ABC and FOX from other cities is available on G10.

Now what do I do? Are there installers who do this stuff? Is it better to get a whole system with a motor? Or will just seeing G10 be enough to get some extra MLB and NFL games?

Can I buy a system and install somewhere? If not how hard is it to do yourself? Anyone near Chicago that can help me.

really want to get a fta.

I would look into getting a complete motorized setup. Sadoun has some nice set ups as does Satellite A/V. I started without the motor, but added one within a few months. As for setup, I would think that in your area there are installers. But, if you have some very basic skills, it is very do-able. WELCOME to the world of FTA, and fire away with any questions. :)

If you can read a level and operate post-hole diggers you can probably install your own system. Can you see the southern sky without trees or buildings, if not, how much of it can you see? Get a compass and look to the south, turn your head east and west to check. If you can see the dishnetwork sats at 110 and 119degrees you can prob get the G10 sat at 123 degrees. There's plenty of instructions in threads here, just read , read , read. A motorized system will get you more channels of course. A c-band dish (6-10') will get digital stuff on the c-band satellites too (lots of network feeds and sports)
Price a system with some of the sponsors here, click on their links at the top, come back and ask for more info. Good luck-you will be happy with fta.

channels

what networks will i get with a motorized FTA?

They cost about $250?

All you pay then is the equipment cost? Then its free every month?

FTA is just that - FREE! :) No programming fees! BUT, keep in mind that at anytime the feeds can be gone/scrambled, etc. There is FOX, ABC, NBC (primetime) and my favorite - RTN. There is lots to be had!

$799

I called a place and they quoted me $799 for install and the dish/receiver. That seems high

The "highness" of that price depends on what they are providing.
If they were providing a 10ft c/ku dish and c/ku lnbf, mounted on pole with 36" actuator, a diseqc compatible mover, and a HD PVR FTA DVB receiver, then you're getting a HECK of a deal.

In reality, for that price you're probably paying high retail price @ approx $150 for a decent bottom-barrel receiver, maybe another $100 for a dish, another $100 for a motor, another $35 for RG6 - which is about $385. So that's about $400 for the install (2-4 hour depending on where/how it has to be mounted)

Depending on what they're providing, they could easily justify that price. But if you want to get started cheaply, you might consider doing the thing yourself. A decent dish/motor/receiver can be had for well under $300 shipped. It's not that tough, and you've got a whole community of people here to help you. Of course, it could easily take you 4,6,10,or 12+ hours to get your install working. So if your time is valuable, and you don't prefer this sort of "fun", then keep calling around and find someone a bit more reasonably priced for your install.

800bucks for install, that would have to be one fancy system, dish and receiver.
I think the wildblue satellite internet guys are only getting 150 to install a complete ,similar system, maybe less, I would choke having to pay that much for a similar satellite install.

WOW! That is high. I would keep checking. But if you don't mind doing the work yourself, you would be better off. That way future upgrades or reapis, you are somewhat familiar with the set up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)