FTA System Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glikus

Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Hello,

I have purchased a FTA package (samsung dsr3800 receiver, Samsung High Gain LNB-msdu2232aa, and 34" dish) from ebay as a gift for my husband. He has tried to do the install but was unable. I want to try to take over and show him how it is done. Can anyone help me?

This is the information that I have.

I am located in Maryland with lat=37 and lon 77. I am trying to get Telstar 5 or AMC 1 or Gal 10R. I set my dish to elevation around 40 and azimuth around 220 (This is southwest for me correct?) but can not get any signal quality. I follow all the instructions from a website that I found < http://www.roxsat.com/DSR37_3800SysMenu.htm >. For now I get signal strength of 72 but no signal quality. What am I missing for this install? Should I get professional help?

Hope we can help, write down everything it says on the LNB for us, maybe you know if its a universal or a standard LNB? I checked the net for details on this LNB and could not find much.

siganl strength doesnt mean a hill of beans, its the quality part that matters :)

When you say "around" you should be as close as it says. Since FSS satellites are lowered power, its not as easy to tune in as DBS (Dish & Direct). If ther elevation is 35.6, make sure its as close to thast as possible.

When you move it, move the dish 1/4" at a time and wait a couple of seconds. Then repeat if necessary.

Once you get close, a little bump can mean the difference betweek 75 quality and 10 quality

If you think you are close you can always try a scan for channels, sometimes this works, if you get any then you can peak in the signal on the dish, as Tony said very tiny movements, with a few second delay before moving on.

Iceberg said:
siganl strength doesnt mean a hill of beans, its the quality part that matters :)
Actually, signal strength could very well mean you're pointed at a hill of beans (from what I've been reading about it vs. quality) :)

I would also stick to T5 (IA5) until you are all set up....

Elevation should be 42.2 deg
Azimuth=211 deg.

(Distance to satellite= 37650 km this is for reference only)

signal means there is something there

If I unplug the coax from the LNB, I still register a 30 signal..I can point it straight north and the signal stays about 60...quality changes :)

I would also punch in the below channel to use for pointing the dish at T5

Canal Algerie
11874 Freq.
H Pol.
01260 s/r

Thanks everyone.
I will try the above suggestions and report on Saturday morning. I will also report more detailed information on my LNB. Hope we figure this out and show him how things are done :)

Hello everyone,
PSB, I tried the above suggestions but still nothing. I am still trying though. I am pointing to Southwest. I am using Azimuth of 211 and elevation of 42.2. I live in zipcode 21044.

This is all the information that I think is needed to answer your questions:
All of the LNB information:
Samsung Electro Mechanics
High Gain LNB
Model No: MSDU2232AA
Input Freq: 11.70 - 12.20 GHz
Noise Figure: 0.6dB
(Barcode Number) 7231220 023831

LNB Settings in Receiver:
LNB Power: On
Satellite: Telstar 5 (97.0 W)
LNB Lower LO: 5150 MHz
LNB Upper LO: 10750 MHz
DiseqC Mode: Off
Tone 22KHz: Auto
Switch 0/12 V: 0
Positioner DiseqC 12: No

Manual Scanning settings in receiver:
Load TR: NEW (There are 16 other preloaded TRs)
Frequency: 11874 MHz
Symbol Rate: 1.260 MS/s
FEC: Auto
Polarity: Horizontal
Scan Mode: All
Network Search: Yes
PID Searching: No
Video PID: Auto
Audio PiD: Auto
PCR PID: Auto

Please tell me that some of the settings are incorrect, otherwise I don't know what to do.

"LNB Lower LO: 5150 MHz" this incorrect it should be at 09750 Mhz. for your universal LNBF, right now it is set for a C-band LNB, good luck.

And try to punch in the below channels details, if you cant just try all the listed transponders, a scan should help.

Canal Algerie
11874 Freq.
H Pol.
01260 s/r

PSB, I have tried to set the LNB Lower LO: 9750 MHz in the past and the LNB Upper LO: 10600 MHZ but nothing either. I will try again and be very carefull with my moving the dish.

It is correct that I am pointing southwest for me. Right? Because someone said that most satellites are southeast.

Also, I do not need one of those cards in the slots, correct?

It may be a standard LNBF then the L.O. should be set at 10750, the satellite (T5) is to your SW. at 212 azimuth, still trying to find info on the LNBF but the 5150 L.O. will never work!

Yes, It looks like that. The first 3 pictures look similar. But not like the last picture. Of course, I only have one LNB.

PSB,
In other words my LNB Settings in Receiver should be:
LNB Power: On
LNB Lower LO: 9750 MHz
DiseqC Mode: Off
Tone 22KHz: Auto
Switch 0/12 V: 0
Positioner DiseqC 12: No

Why are there a LNB Lower lo and LNB Upper LO. Should I set them to be the same?What is the SWITCH 1/12 V?

Thanks for all your help so far.

I have the below setting on my receiver, try that

LNB Lower LO: 10750 MHz

Switch 12 V: 0n

Or try 09750
09750 as I still think its a universal LNBF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts