Full 8 TB now available on external EHD's

Why couldn't you use a 1 TB usb stick for your EHD? Hooked up to a powered usb hub? Has anyone ever tried that?
Just wondering because I don't need a huge amount of backup space.

Why couldn't you use a 1 TB usb stick for your EHD? Hooked up to a powered usb hub? Has anyone ever tried that?
Just wondering because I don't need a huge amount of backup space.

I think you could. IIRC I tried a 64B thumb drive on my 722 years ago. No powered hub.

Circling back to this....I bought a new unpowered WD 4TB EHD to go along with the existing older powered WD 2TB EHD. Both are non-SSD and connected via a powered 3.0 USB hub. Everything seems to work ok but some mornings both show up and some mornings only 1 shows up. Any advice on what could be going on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything seems to work ok but some mornings both show up and some mornings only 1 shows up. Any advice on what could be going on?

Curiouser and curiouser! We hypothesized that the 7TB stated limit is a combined total. When we exceed that total, some people such as myself can't see the bigger disk. Bookworm reports that he can use a powered hub, unpowered, and always see both his 6 and his 2TB disks. But your 6TB combined total is below that max number and should always work.

When it's only showing one disk, is that one the 2TB disk?

Circling back to this....I bought a new unpowered WD 4TB EHD to go along with the existing older powered WD 2TB EHD. Both are non-SSD and connected via a powered 3.0 USB hub. Everything seems to work ok but some mornings both show up and some mornings only 1 shows up. Any advice on what could be going on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your under the limit so I'm postulating that the unpowered one is the culprit. I not sure the USB port carries enough juice to try to supply power to multiple devices in a chain. Remember, even though one of your EHD's are powered and I assume your hub is unpowered, then there would be a voltage drop across each device.

What do you get when you connect each one separately (still going through the hub)? If all work fine, then it may be the hub or the reason I stated above.

Curiouser and curiouser! We hypothesized that the 7TB stated limit is a combined total. When we exceed that total, some people such as myself can't see the bigger disk. Bookworm reports that he can use a powered hub, unpowered, and always see both his 6 and his 2TB disks. But your 6TB combined total is below that max number and should always work.

When it's only showing one disk, is that one the 2TB disk?

Krell,

Have you tried getting one of the cheap unpowered hubs like I have and tried it?

Have you tried getting one of the cheap unpowered hubs like I have and tried it?

I had several of those hubs at one time. Do you think I can find even one now that I need it? Of course not!

I know I took one to work. But I'm not at work.

I get 8 TB for 4K, but for HD... that is what, 1200 hours? I have stuff on my 3 TB I still need to watch.

I had several of those hubs at one time. Do you think I can find even one now that I need it? Of course not!

I know I took one to work. But I'm not at work.

Have you tried this one, the one I bought is no long sold but Amazon points to this.

USB Hub

I just left it unpowered and plugged in the 6TB drive closest to the cable and the 2TB the farthest away. The only two switches turned on are, of course, the 1st and last. To get your drives to work, 17 bucks isn't much to try. And you can always return it!

Reactions: TheKrell
I just left it unpowered and plugged in the 6TB drive closest to the cable and the 2TB the farthest away.

I am thinking I can try a passive hub, rather than a powered one. Is there any electrical difference between a passive USB2 and a USB3 hub?

My hub is powered and i can turn off/on each plug.....and 1 EHD it self-powered and 1 is not. Someone posted something that implied the USB plug order on the switch might make a difference....or even if the switch is on or off. I should have kept closer track of what happened when I tried each of these configuration variation. A couple of questions:

1) Which USB plug on the back of the hopper should I use? Is either of them USB3.0? I had a less success using the lower plug.

2) Overnight, the Hopper resets itself (mine is set to 3a). Is pressing the red reset button on the front panel the same thing that happens as the overnight reset? I’m wondering if I need to wait for the overnight reset to test each configuration or can i just use the front reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s interesting that I had less success with it recognizing 2 EHD’s using the lower one given it’s USB 3.0. I would have expected better success. It almost seems like itgoes so fast in looking for an EHD that it doesn’t wait around long enough to see if another one is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s interesting that I had less success with it recognizing 2 EHD’s using the lower one given it’s USB 3.0. I would have expected better success. It almost seems like itgoes so fast in looking for an EHD that it doesn’t wait around long enough to see if another one is present.
I think you may have nailed it. Perhaps the trade-off is that you can get more TB's, but at a lower transfer speed.

Off topic, but I think the OTA scan has the same issue. This is why I get such wildly different results each time I scan the OTA locals, since it may not be taking enough time to find and identify the signal on stations that have marginal reception at the moment. On the ViP receivers, the OTA scan is slower, and tends to be much more consistent than the OTA scan on any receiver with the Hopper interface that I have ever used.

What drives will work with Hopper/Walley
For portable drives (powered through the USB cable) look for ones with USB 3.0, since others have reported issues trying to use the USB 2.0 ones. WD portable drives work well, and some other brands may also work. The official upper limit for Wally is 4TB, and for Hopper (any model) it is 7TB. (Although, as being discussed in this thread, some members have had luck with more than 7TB.) The minimum size for Wally is 500GB. I think you can go slightly smaller than that for Hoppers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)