Full Circle

tinman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
waldorf, md
Back in '98 I switched to E* from Comcast which in my area at that time had a mere 44 channels. E* was still fairly young and I was taking a risk. I paid around $1000 to get E* installed (this was about a year before all of the free deals starting coming out). At the time it was well worth it. Shortly after the first DVR's came out, I paid another $300 for that as well. When I moved 4 years ago, I schedule through the Dish Movers program and thought at least finally I'm getting something free from them. After I moved in and called to see if the installer was on his way, I was told that the call had been cancelled. They even admitted that it was cancelled by them and not me but could not find a reason why. The next install date was 2 weeks away! There was no way that I could wait that long, especially with two kids. I ended up paying several more hundred dollars to get it up and going (fortunately I hadn't settled on my old house yet and went back and took the dish down).

In January of this year I took a chance on another fairly new and even shakier satellite company. Voom of course. I purchased my first hdtv for V* and I paid $1 for install and $50 for an additional box. I kept 1 E* stb (my DVR) with the basics while a) waiting for my antennae to be upgraded (couldn't get most of my locals) and b) until a DVR came was available. As everyone of course knows, Voom didn't make it. I have very much enjoyed V* and with the exception of the additional holes in my roof for their satellite, I don't consider the $51 a waste.

While looking at going back to E* for all of my tv's or switching to D*, I checked out Comcast. Not only do they have more HD channels and video on demand, I was able to get 3 digital stb's, 1 hd DVR stb, every channel they offer (with the exception of the adult ones) for only $45 per month plus $20 install.

When I originally called E* to see if there was anything they could do to get me to stay, the offered me an hd DVR (forget which model) for $350 or so. When I called to cancel today, the best they could do was to offer an 821 receiver for $100. That probably is a deal to most but not after I have spent so much money over the years with them.

I have very much enjoyed reading everyone's comments over the past few month's and I will miss this forum when it is gone. This forum is the reason why I switched to V* in the first place. I will still lurk around Satelliteguys as I think this is a great site with very informative (and sometimes passionate members). Sean Mota is the best. He welcomed me on my first post and I have enjoyed his comments, expertise and insight the most.

Sorry for the long post but I had to vent a little with the demise of V* and my switch back to cable after 7 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)