Full Screen Program Guide no longer an option - thanks Dish!

bgee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Albany NY
All of a sudden today, my 722K displayed a Program Guide Banner and it wouldn't shut off even when I set Preferences-ProgramGuide-Banner Off. Instead of the guide screen being 100% channel rows, I now have 60% channel rows (7 rows) plus a banner consisting of highlighted program info (top left) and video (top right).

I went through Tech Support and they were unable to fix it (after several reboots/check switch/etc). Finally I asked for a supervisor and he told me that a Banner-free guide option NO LONGER EXISTS with the latest software. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(and it might help if you told Level 1 support)

All of a sudden today, my 722K displayed a Program Guide Banner and it wouldn't shut off even when I set Preferences-ProgramGuide-Banner Off. Instead of the guide screen being 100% channel rows, I now have 60% channel rows (7 rows) plus a banner consisting of highlighted program info (top left) and video (top right).

I went through Tech Support and they were unable to fix it (after several reboots/check switch/etc). Finally I asked for a supervisor and he told me that a Banner-free guide option NO LONGER EXISTS with the latest software. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(and it might help if you told Level 1 support)

Post a picture....

The banner ad should disappear when you tell it to shut off. As for the video part, Dish said that as part of the new software update, they would get rid of the option to have a guide without the video. I think it's on the last page of the pdf.
EDIT: Look on Page 5

Attachments

• ReceiverMenuUpdates_EXT.pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 937
Yeah, what Dish is calling the banner is the PPV ad that takes up the bottom-most row of the guide if you don't shut it off.

you can also press the Guide button one more time and the banner ad disappears and is replaced by an additional channel of guide data. I admit to leaving the banner on now and just press guide one more time.

To be clear, I wasn't referring to the banner ad. "Banner" was the wrong term to use. I'm talking about the top 40% of the screen consisting of the highlighted program info on the left and the currently playing video on the right. I guess the proper Dish terminology is that the Full guide display option that does not display video has been eliminated in the latest software "update".

You now only have 60% of the screen available for guide info.

"Eliminated Guide Display options that do not display video" - reason: "Simplified to include the most customer friendly options" - Dish, ARE YOU GUYS FOR REAL? What is customer unfriendly about the ability to scroll through program choices 40% faster?

Last edited:
Sounds like your "Preferences-Guide Display" got changed. Menu/Preferences/Guide Display ...extended without OR with video, your preference. There has NEVER been a 100% guide screen. Always has shown program info on top.

Sounds like your "Preferences-Guide Display" got changed. Menu/Preferences/Guide Display ...extended without OR with video, your preference. There has NEVER been a 100% guide screen. Always has shown program info on top.
I'm talking about the 722K, not sure what DVR you're using. My guide screen used to be 100% rows of channel info.

The guide options you reference ("extended", "without video") no longer exist in the 722K after the update. See page 5 of the PDF linked above in this thread to see a screen shot of the new Guide Format Preferences screen.

I don't believe you have that option anymore with the update. Video is always there.

I'm talking about the 722K, not sure what DVR you're using. My guide screen used to be 100% rows of channel info.

The guide options you reference ("extended", "without video") no longer exist in the 722K after the update. See page 5 of the PDF linked above in this thread to see a screen shot of the new Guide Format Preferences screen.
Is there a newer version from L683? I just changed to extended, no video on my 722K with the process I described earlier.

The choice to have or not have video in the guide has always been on my receivers - 508, 612, and on my Father - In - Laws 722k. The most recent updates are changing it to the only option being having the channel you are watching displayed while in the guide. There is the option of how many rows by changing the size.

I suspect this change is for the same reason as many when there is an option and then it is taken away. I believe most people absolutely want to be able to see the program they are watching, and I'm betting Dish was getting too many calls from people who didn't know it could do it, (complaints) or changed it and forgot how to change it back. On the one hand I like having the option, on the other hand....I have never used it.

Boo. I definately had my video off before. (On for DVR menu's) but off for channel guide. With 200+ channels that 40% more rows helps with the ammount of page flipping.

I'm surprised there are people that don't want the program info & video at the top. That's the only way I can tell if that's an episode I want to see. I reduce my paging thru by using favorites lists.

I'm surprised there are people that don't want the program info & video at the top.
Are you kidding me? Typical use - I turn on the TV in the middle of the day and I'm searching for something to watch. I don't want to see any freakin' video until I find my target program in the guide and select it, at which time I will revert to full screen view. I don't want to see a partial screen of guide plus video. When I'm searching for that target program, I want to see as much guide info as I can at once, to minimize all the scrolling.

Are you kidding me? Typical use - I turn on the TV in the middle of the day and I'm searching for something to watch. I don't want to see any freakin' video until I find my target program in the guide and select it, at which time I will revert to full screen view. I don't want to see a partial screen of guide plus video. When I'm searching for that target program, I want to see as much guide info as I can at once, to minimize all the scrolling.

I think the thing that irks me about changes like this is that it removes user choice. I personally have no use for the guide with no video, but just because I don't use it doesn't mean other people don't. I mean, who was it hurting? Was it that difficult to support? And then to justify its removal by saying its to give people "user-friendly" options is a load of hooey, especially to users like you who now can't view the guide like you want to.

You've got to be kidding, the speed you can move with page up/page down thru seven rows is too much effort?

You've got to be kidding, the speed you can move with page up/page down thru seven rows is too much effort?
With that logic, why not just have one row?

If it took me 5 scroll downs to get through my guide before, now it will take 9 or 10. It's not about "effort", it's about ergonomic design. I want to see guide info, so use the entire available screen to maximize that info display (like it used to do).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts