Full time RSN's on Dish?

Could it be that the reason DISH is blacking out the RSN HD feeds for 8 hours every night is because Charlie's contracts with the RSN's are for part-time HD feeds, which could have lower license fees (than the 24-hour HD feeds) ???

Thus, he may be trying to dodge paying higher license fees for the 25 RSN's by keeping them "part-time".... Given DISH's long history of playing games with license fees (i.e.. Disney HD feeds) this idea just hit me tonight as a plausible reason for such a ridiculous non-logical action by DISH (ie. shutting down the HD feeds every night).....

Nonetheless, if this theory proves to be right, wouldn't the RSN programmers quickly cry "foul" as this being a violation of the "spirit" of the original contracts and force Charlie to pay up (for the upgraded feeds) ?
I'm thinking the engineers are still messing with stuff and possibly replacing encoders and just seeing what more than can get away with since the resulting increase in bandwidth. That is all IMHO. I really have no clue as to why.

you guys might want to check this article out about YES and SNY
With SportsNet LA and Yes Network pay-TV impasses, sports TV is in 'crisis mode,' analyst says
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/sp...sses-sports-tv-crisis-mode-analyst/2016-03-28
I think this is much more about the the one-channel for one-team services. It represents little value all year-round. The RSN's are in a better position because they offer more than just one of the home teams and some other sports content like university or small college sports or niche sports like swimming, diving, gymnastics, ets, so paying for that year round for such a service makes some sense to an MVPD.

Ironically, it seems to be the internet and the leagues going "behind the back" of the RSN's that can make it possible for many to not have to depend upon an RSN for their local sports or other sports fix.

I think this is much more about the the one-channel for one-team services. It represents little value all year-round. The RSN's are in a better position because they offer more than just one of the home teams and some other sports content like university or small college sports or niche sports like swimming, diving, gymnastics, ets, so paying for that year round for such a service makes some sense to an MVPD.

Ironically, it seems to be the internet and the leagues going "behind the back" of the RSN's that can make it possible for many to not have to depend upon an RSN for their local sports or other sports fix.
Exactly, combine the Dodgers and Lakers and you can ask for the $5 or so you're looking for from Dodgers only.

And that's the problem with CSNNE in Boston. One major sport, (and the fourth popular one at this time in Boston) a couple of night time sport shows and that's the bulk of their programming. Thus no one has really cared DISH no longer carries them.

Something I noticed in the guide since the change to RSN's being in HD most of the day - in the alternate channels, you now can see the pregame and postgame shows for the various leagues. For example, on 440 right now, there is the Fox Sports Wisconsin feed of the Magic and Bucks. From 6:30-7pm you have the pregame and 9:30-10pm is the postgame with a 2 1/2 hour window for the game. It used to be that it was a single 4 hour block for the game, so if you were out of area, you couldn't see the pregame in HD because it was blacked out on the RSN HD feed. Interesting how the programming guide now differentiates the pre and post game slots.

Scott has hinted that Dish isn't finished with this maneuver yet, so perhaps them going off-air between 2AM and 10AM is only temporary.

I was saying that because I heard a rumor that DISH was talking to YES Network since COMCAST dropped them it would have been a way to get new customers from Comcast. Unfortunately no deal was done.

My guess (and I have no inside info here) on why they go off at night is because DISH uses that bandwidth to send VOD movies to the hard drives of their Hopper Systems. So this way people without high speed internet can still have VOD... plus for those without fast enough internet still h ave access to a lot of the 4K VOD content DISH offers. This is the only thing I can think of.

I was saying that because I heard a rumor that DISH was talking to YES Network since COMCAST dropped them it would have been a way to get new customers from Comcast. Unfortunately no deal was done.

My guess (and I have no inside info here) on why they go off at night is because DISH uses that bandwidth to send VOD movies to the hard drives of their Hopper Systems. So this way people without high speed internet can still have VOD... plus for those without fast enough internet still h ave access to a lot of the 4K VOD content DISH offers. This is the only thing I can think of.

This is the most plausible explanation offered yet.... Because otherwise it makes no sense to shut them down for 8 hours every overnight when there are no HD bandwidth needs at those hours...

And it has to be generating extra calls to DISH when re-broadcast sports events/ sports newscasts are being cut off at 3AM ET/ 12 Midnight PT without explanation as people are watching the HD channels and no notice is being given to keep watching the events on the SD channel....

In fact, all the shows (on the 25 RSN networks) get interrupted in progress with an engineering screen message that says the channel is no longer available and is off the air.... Very messy and unnecessary viewer confusion being generated every night....

In fact, all the shows (on the 25 RSN networks) get interrupted in progress with an engineering screen message that says the channel is no longer available and is off the air.... Very messy and unnecessary viewer confusion being generated every night....

If Dish is going to have it this way, it definitely would be better to have the slate up where you can actually turn on the channel as opposed to that engineering screen message. And on the slate it could say to turn into the SD version of the channel for programming, just like the setup used to be when the RSN's were in HD only during a live game.

I would love to know the technical reasoning behind why Dish has it setup the way they do. Definitely the geeky side of me.

If Dish is going to have it this way, it definitely would be better to have the slate up where you can actually turn on the channel as opposed to that engineering screen message. And on the slate it could say to turn into the SD version of the channel for programming, just like the setup used to be when the RSN's were in HD only during a live game.

I would love to know the technical reasoning behind why Dish has it setup the way they do. Definitely the geeky side of me.

Totally agree ... This is a big mess and they should clean it up.... DISH is not some small town cable stick with a Mickey Mouse head-end that can't put up appropriate viewer instructions/ slates, etc....

I wish Dish would offer more free VOD events this way, instead of cluttering up the hard drive with nothing but movies that cost extra money.

I also wonder why so many channels have to go "Off-Air" every night, and not only the "most-time" HD RSN feeds. My guess is that Dish uses this time to re-map those feeds to the appropriate channel numbers for that day's events on the out-of-market sports packages. (MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, etc.) I also have no idea why Dish can't technically put a slate on those channels during that time, or remove them from the My Channels list when they are Off-Air so you won't get all of those error (engineering) screens while flipping through the channels.

I wish Dish would offer more free VOD events this way, instead of cluttering up the hard drive with nothing but movies that cost extra money.

I also wonder why so many channels have to go "Off-Air" every night, and not only the "most-time" HD RSN feeds. My guess is that Dish uses this time to re-map those feeds to the appropriate channel numbers for that day's events on the out-of-market sports packages. (MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, etc.) I also have no idea why Dish can't technically put a slate on those channels during that time, or remove them from the My Channels list when they are Off-Air so you won't get all of those error (engineering) screens while flipping through the channels.
i too wish something would be done so we can have our rsns 24/7 scott said that more changes are going to be happening real soon.i wish dish would add the rest of our rsns that fox sports,root sports,comcast sportsnet,yes,sny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts