Full-timing in RV

bobinraymoremo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Raymore MO
My wife and I are a couple of months away from selling our house and full-timing across the country in a fifth wheel. We are TV junkies so want the conveniences of high definition televisions and dvr programming. We plan on a dvr in the living room and a dvr in the bedroom. Since the bedroom is not conducive to tv watching we want to watch the dvr programs from the bedroom on the living room dvr.

We think we need a coax to run from dvr to dvr and have the bedroom remote setup uhf so that we can operate bedroom dvr from the living room.

Not to start a war but is Dish or DirecTV a better option?

Also, is my technical description above correct?

Dish has the better dual tuner HD dvr, you can set receiver in living room and run second set of connections to the bedroom (should you want HD on both tv's, HDMI to one set and component to the other, and since the hard drive spinning is audible, having the receiver in the living room will not keep you awake). Anything recorded would be viewable on both tv's.

I hope there are no dumb questions :)

We have two DVRs with our cable system now and sometimes have to watch programs so that we can add more programs. Did I mention we like to watch TV. So we are trying to decide between having two DVRs for storage capacity, but like I said before being able to watch most programs in the living room of the RV since more comfortable watching, or since you mentioned Dish buying a 750gb external hard drive and hooking up to the Dish DVR since that is now possible. we do want the capability to watch live TV or recorded programs in the bedroom while the other person is in the living room watching something else.

Another potentially dumb question is that if SD was OK in bedroom you could just run coax, is that right? How expensive are component cables and will there be signal loss over 30' or so? We would want audio so the red and white RCA cables would also have to be run, is that correct? Under this scenario the bedroom remote would have to be UHF so it could control the living room DVR without interfering with the living room DVR and remote, is that correct?

So what is the best setup for our RV?

Dish has the better dual tuner HD dvr, you can set receiver in living room and run second set of connections to the bedroom (should you want HD on both tv's, HDMI to one set and component to the other, and since the hard drive spinning is audible, having the receiver in the living room will not keep you awake). Anything recorded would be viewable on both tv's.
<br>
To add to the above you can get 'Y' RCA nips to split the Audio or use the Dvr in single tuner mode and use TV2 audio out.

Not to start a war but is Dish or DirecTV a better option?

Due to spot beams, your local stations probably won't work more than 150 miles from home.

You can get an RV exemption from DirecTV which will get you the networks in SD from NY and LA. If you had Dish, they can't offer an RV exemption. You'd need the RV exemption from All American Direct. AAD carries stations from NY and San Francisco.

HD on dish will be better then hd from direct unless you get one of those crankup 1000.2 /KA/KU . on dome systems inmotion or standing you are limited to one sat at a time so if your watching a progrma and want to record another and its from a difrent sat your watching from your sol... majority of dish HD is located on 61.5 or 129. with direct its 99 103 and those require a big KA/KU or expensive inmotion system. SD programing Direct wins as 190+ chanels are on the 101 dish SD top 100 is on the 119 and most of the movie chanels any pkg higher and its all over the 119&110. Pick your provider carfully and dont skimp on a cheap inmotion system (intellion) as they are to neww to trus

I am thinking about the MotoSat Universal HD system that can have a LNB with the characteristics following. Is this what I need?

MotoSAT HD Universal Antenna
<br>
HD-SL5 for DirecTV's Slim Line 5-satellite system (99º,101º,103º,110º, and 119º)
<br>
HD-DP3 for Dish Network's 3-satellite system
(110º, 119º, 129º)
<br>
HD-SC2 for Star Choice's 2-satellite system
(107.3º, 111.1º)
<br>
<br>
HD on dish will be better then hd from direct unless you get one of those crankup 1000.2 /KA/KU . on dome systems inmotion or standing you are limited to one sat at a time so if your watching a progrma and want to record another and its from a difrent sat your watching from your sol... majority of dish HD is located on 61.5 or 129. with direct its 99 103 and those require a big KA/KU or expensive inmotion system. SD programing Direct wins as 190+ chanels are on the 101 dish SD top 100 is on the 119 and most of the movie chanels any pkg higher and its all over the 119&110. Pick your provider carfully and dont skimp on a cheap inmotion system (intellion) as they are to neww to trus

Some of the portable dish systems are capable of receiving all the required satellites for a particular HD system but they use a single lnb that re-points to different satellites when the receiver requests different channels. The problem with this is that if you're using multi-receivers they all have to watch programing from the same satellite.

Motostat is a top of the line system and they probably use a multi lnb system that can support multi receivers, but you need to verify that before purchasing.

The other consideration is that Direct TV uses KA band for their HD broadcasting and none of the in-motion systems work with KA band, if that's something you're interested in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)