Funai to sell LCD TVs with built-in Blu-ray players in the US

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
CrunchGear Archive Funai to sell LCD TVs with built-in Blu-ray players in the US

Starting next summer, Funai (Sylvania, Symphonic, Emerson) is planning to sell LCD TVs with integrated Blu-ray Disc players in the US. The Japanese company has a lot of good experience with this approach. Sales from cathode-ray tube TVs with built-in VCRs reached 40% of total TV sales for Funai a few years ago.​
Currently 20% of all Funai TV sales in the US are based on TV/DVD player combos. Funai is likely to offer midsize and large screens with integrated Blu-ray players, both at Wal-Mart and electronics stores.​
Details regarding release dates and prices are largely unknown at this point but a planned 42-inch LCD TV/Blu-ray combo, for example, is said to be priced between $1,100 and $1,300.​
Betcha they sell well during black friday wally world sales. I wouldnt mind a 42" lcd with BR in my bedroom for around $800.

I'm torn between not wanting to risk some obsolescence in a combined unit, and liking the convenience. And it's not a desired brand, in my book.

All the same, for BD-Live and a bit larger, say at least 46", I'd probably bite, for a bedroom TV. At less than $1,000 it would be a steal, assuming the PQ was acceptable (not expecting great at that price, even a year from now).

Thanks for the heads up.

NEVER buy an all-in-one or combo unit of anything; sure way to throw money out the window. Unless the item is ridiculously dirt cheap; damn near disposable. Maybe in a child's room or something, but surely not in the H/T, den, or master BR.

Never been a fan of all in one units.

S~

Me either, but....

NEVER buy an all-in-one or combo unit of anything; sure way to throw money out the window. Unless the item is ridiculously dirt cheap; damn near disposable. Maybe in a child's room or something, but surely not in the H/T, den, or master BR.

I disagree. $700-800 for a +40" tv and BR player in my bedroom, Id take it. Now $1300 is too much.

Me either, but....

I disagree. $700-800 for a +40" tv and BR player in my bedroom, Id take it. Now $1300 is too much.

What happens when one of the other fails? IMHO its damn near a paperweight to me. What if you simply want to take the player for a weekend to the in-laws or something; CAN'T / ARGH! I hate not having a choice. Considering the likely quality of these units; you can come damn close to matching or beating this with two separates. Like a $599 - $799 FPTV (portable, expandable, likely better quality) and that Funai Blu-ray player Wal-Mart already sells (the $278 Magnavox named NB500MG9) or a $399 PS3.

Yes FPTV can work (in bedrooms as well); regardless of all the perpetuated myths and over-exaggerated mis-information over costs, size and in-room lighting. LOL

Syntax-Brillian Corporation, producer of the Olevia brand, has declared bankruptcy and is no longer producing Olevia TVs. I'll bet they're cheap.

Plus, the Olevia LCD's and such have gotten real cheap too. Funai will have to do a lot better than $1300.

Exactly; I would think of getting one of these in the 37" + size range for a spare bedroom / kids room for say $499 - $ 649 after exploring all other options.

What happens when one of the other fails? IMHO its damn near a paperweight to me. What if you simply want to take the player for a weekend to the in-laws or something; CAN'T / ARGH! I hate not having a choice. Considering the likely quality of these units; you can come damn close to matching or beating this with two separates. Like a $599 - $799 FPTV (portable, expandable, likely better quality) and that Funai Blu-ray player Wal-Mart already sells (the $278 Magnavox named NB500MG9) or a $399 PS3.

Yes FPTV can work (in bedrooms as well); regardless of all the perpetuated myths and over-exaggerated mis-information over costs, size and in-room lighting. LOL

Nah... if the Blu-Ray player fails, you can still attach an external player to it. I refuse to believe the display will be without HDMI inputs. (Will it have HDMI outputs for bitstreaming? You best believe this cheap player won't internally decode any of the high res codecs.) I've had combo VHS/TV units where the VHS player inside the TV became dirty. (Cheaper 12 years ago to buy an external VHS player and hook it up than to pay for a cleaning of those heads!) I just hooked up an external player(recorder) and went on.

If the TV fails...well...err...umm...you should've known those lower end brands are throwaway units anyway. (j/k)

I understand you CAN attach another if the internal fails but ARGH, why? I am having nightmares of white-trash trailer park junkyards!

MOTTO: Buy once smart; rather than multiple times stupidly; grasshopper!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts