Funny thing D* Sales Rep said about E*

ItaliaVP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
We've been getting mailings from D* to come back to them (haven't been with them since 2001). So I figured what the hell, I'll call and see what they would offer me to come from E* to D*. Told them my current setup, which for D* would mean 2 HD-DVRS, and 4 regular receivers. The guy quoted me 500 bucks, where I then said I got the a 6 tv setup from my E* installer for 275 bucks. The funny part and the main point of the thread is that D* rep said E* gives its new customers refurbished receivers!!! It seem to be the case when E* was installed but am just wondering if this was true at all?

Yup it is true you can get refurbished equipment, however most of the time it is new equipment which is delivered, however since all the receivers from Dish or DirecTV are LEASED to you so it does not really matter. It is just like getting a cable box from the cable company.

It's no wonder that D* prices on monthly access are higher if they're just throwing away the old/bad receivers they get back in from customers. It's foolish to think that all of the boxes they get back just get stuffed in a closet. They do the same thing E* does when they get used/bad receivers back - they test them, fix them if necessary, and send them back into the field. It's a cost effective way of doing business, especially like Scott said, when it's leased equipment anyhow. I do know for a fact, as a technician myself, when a customer actually purchases a receiver, we do make certain that the customer receivers a brand new one. As opposed to when the equipment is leased, it could be new or refurbished depending on stock levels in the local warehouses. I also must note, that in most cases, the fail rate for new versus refurb units are practically the same. But again, being leased equipment, there is no charge for replacement equipment if something should happen to go wrong.

Thats the same thing they told me, I laughed too.. Im looking twards ebay so I can own.. Best buy you can buy the recivers at the same price and own them... I was surprised that I got the mailings from them too...

If D* told me that theirs was more money and was new that would be worth something to me - if I would be the owner of it. The fact that it is a lease makes it completely mute. As someone said its like a cable box. I am paying for the monthly service, I need a box, reman or new. If it fails get me another one. When that one fails then get me another one. Yes its a pain but if I am not the owner I pay more money I dont care. Its like paying a high priced lease when I could get the same car used for less. In three years I either buy the car or get outta it, as I dont own it. Why waste the money on something you know you will not have after a time.

Thats the same thing they told me, I laughed too.. Im looking twards ebay so I can own.. Best buy you can buy the recivers at the same price and own them... I was surprised that I got the mailings from them too...

BB receivers are also leased not owned.

Your best bet is always to lease receivers. They're always under warranty, unless you drop them in the fish tank or your buddy pukes on it. After a certain time you may have to pay a small trip charge for someone to swap it out for you, but the receiver itself is free. Also, if you pay 500 bucks for a receiver, in 2 years it's obsolete, then your left holding a 500 dollar brick. Leasing gives you outs on upgrades as well as giving you free replacement. You can't lose.

But again, being leased equipment, there is no charge for replacement equipment if something should happen to go wrong.
Your best bet is always to lease receivers. They're always under warranty, unless you drop them in the fish tank or your buddy pukes on it.

That is where you are incorrect there is a big difference between the way Dish and DirecTv service their leased equipment.

With Dish Network, If you have leased equipment it is covered for repair/ replacement for as long as you have their service. (you pay just $14.95 shipping)

With DirecTV, their equipment is only warrented for 90 days even if leased unless you are on their Service plan.
YES just 90 days even if leased. So if you have a $299 HR20 fail after 90 days, and you are not on their service plan, you are out $299 for a new "leased" one.

With DirecTV You Get a Pig in a Poke

After admitting yesterday, that my Homezone 622HZ problems were because of unresolved software problems, I called D* about the price to come back. The said $199 but said I would get an H20-100, H20-700, or H21. They would not guarantee a box but said it would be whatever the installer had in his truck. That was a deal breaker.

I've tried a few calls to D* trying to get a deal to swap out a Tivo for an HR20. I am very disappointed with the fact that they want $199 to do so. I literally argued with the last CSR for about 5 minutes. I have a very hard time giving that kind of money to "lease" a box that has to be returned when I no longer need it. If they were to give me back my money when I return the box, that would be fine. It's a lose/lose for the customer and a complete win/win for D*.

It also peaves me that some folks get free boxes, some pay shipping, some pay 99, some pay 199 and some pay 299. I'm on CC pay, Premium pack with EI and SuperFan. My bill is north of 120 a month. I'd think they'd give me a better break than 199, but that's all they'll give me.

Right now, they have me until my contract expires. Tech changes so much that, God forbid, cable may be a viable option a year from now.

In my opinion, the box should either be free or owned. Don't expect to take my money and, at the end of the day, leave me with nothing to show for it (besides a hefty programming bill).

BB receivers are also leased not owned.

People miss this all the time, One of my friends spent 499$ on a D* Tivo and found out it was a lease later, and then it broke.. they would send him another for 499$ He switched to E* then D* called three times in one day with three different stories ending up with "1. You owe us nothing, we don't want the reciever, 2.We are picking up the tivo, 3.You owe us 200$, and send back the tivo"

D does install refurbished units. I'm a new customer as of yesterday and 2 of the 3 receivers were refurbished units. On the warranty thing, the installer told me not to get the plan, and if a receiver starts acting up or quits, call them and add the plan and order service the same day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)