Funny Thing Happened Last Night...

The person in question is most likely not carrying a license for this... This area is full (Southern WV) of unlicensed operators. I'm living in my house that my grandfather used to live in, and in this yard is an antenna... The person might have hooked up to it without me noticing because I never use it. I might have to go check it out in a little bit and see what is going on.
Can that get any more redneck?

Can you describe the Antenna? Maybe PM a link to a picture? I might be able to help you determine what kind of Antenna he's using.

Steve, i'm not inferring that the operator, IF LICENSED, is correct to intentionally interfere with anyone. What I am saying is that ultimately, by the law, the operator is not compelled to do anything about it.
And I'm saying a whole bunch of folks don't give a rat's ass about the law when someone invades their domestic tranquility. They take care of it.

As for your ravings about an inalienable constitutional right to watch mindless drivel on television... just... wow. Have you READ the constitution?
Again, you're being "legalistic" and I'm being "realistic".

By the way, a lot of rights are not in the constitution. Women have a right to equal pay for equal work though the ERA failed. And most any judge will enforce everyone's right to breath clean air.

And, in prisons from coast to coast, inmates have won court battles to preserve their right to watch TV in their cells, at taxpayers expense yet.

Your argument: It's the viewer who has to fix the problem: Possibly legally correct(to a federal bureaucrat).

My argument: Somebody messes with my TV reception, they fix it, not me: English common law (the basis for all tort law in the US), common sense and rough justice if need be(as a last resort).

I only started this because some postings implied the monkey was on the poster's back to deal with and/or pay for curing problems caused by his neighbor's pass time just because the jerk thought he had a license interfere with the "rights" (quotes for you) of a law abiding TV drivel watcher.

In the words of the philospher Y. Smirnoff: America: What a country!

Is it the Hams fault that the person complaining has a low quality TV? I am a ham also and i find that 99 percent of interference I cause on peoples tv, phones, radios is because their tvs, phones and radios are made cheap. I run 1500 watts all the time and i do not interfer with my neighbors stuff. I ground everything and my antennas are has high up as i legally can go.

Well I am wondering if the OP ever went and asked the neighbor what it is.

Is it the Hams fault that the person complaining has a low quality TV? I am a ham also and i find that 99 percent of interference I cause on peoples tv, phones, radios is because their tvs, phones and radios are made cheap. I run 1500 watts all the time and i do not interfer with my neighbors stuff. I ground everything and my antennas are has high up as i legally can go.

Thanks PapaLittle,

that has been my point all along. I run over 100 watts in my living room with an antenna just out in the front yard and I never have interference problems. I did set my carbon monoxide Detector off once... but that was just funny. Who knew you could RF overload a carbon monoxide detector?

Of course, I was tuning up a slinky when I did that. :)

Dialog is common redneck dialog ... The first night I heard it, they were discussing a fight that had occurred at a local Dairy Queen... As for the comment about it being a low quality TV... It's a Sanyo 27" for the bedroom... The living room has a 55" Sony SXRD. Can't afford a higher quality one in the bedroom right now. The person's antenna in question rises out from the ground to above their roof (About 20 feet) white on top with a circle type bottom halfway down the pole.

Ghosty, can't determine from that description of the antenna. Maybe one of the other hams on the board can chime in and offer some help.

I certainly didn't mean to infer that your TV was sub-standard, just that in the case where interference happens, it typically can be at least partially attributed to the quality of the components receiving the interference. Totally understand not being able to do any better for a bedroom TV... i'm in the same boat!