Future HD - Advice for Pole mounts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there Folks! The wife and I, we'd like to upgrade to the HD package probably after 1st of the year.

We currently have Dish 500 mounted on the side of the house on the wall part. I know if we do the 1000.2, it will be heavier and may need the support rods. I personally don't care to have the NEW dish mounted to the wall, and would prefer to have it pole mounted.
I have some questions. Currently the 500 dish is looking at 119 and 110. The right side of the dish is just a hair away from hitting the house wall. Picture will show it (hopefully). When we do the upgrade, will the tech align it to 129 or 61.5? My locals are the KC, MO market. I'd like to move the dish out 2 or so feet and up 5 feet away from it's current location. The reason why? I am "scared" that the future dish will have LOS with the 61.5 but as far as the 129 is concerned, the sky is clear to shine it through.
I took several pictures.
  • There is 1 picture looking straight to the sky atop the Dish 500.
  • A picture looking atop the shovel (future pole) straight to 129/121/119/110/61.5
  • Picture of sideview - at a glance
  • Picture of front - at a glance
  • Picture of where current dish is with the eave in question
Do you folks (by guess estimate) think I will have enough "space" to aim at 61.5 should the installer do that?
Reason why I am asking because I want to personally do my own pole mount. Want to bury it in fibered concrete 30 inches down...using 4 bolts in criss-cross pattern at the end..middle and top within 30 inches. What kind of pole do I use? I dont want to buy a big mouthed pole and the Dish tech hasta jury rig it onto the pole. I'd like something the Dish Tech can just slide the dish down, clamp down and be done with it. I am planning on doing this pole mount install within 2 weeks before the ground freezes up for the winter. That way, the Dish tech can come out and thank me for making his job THAT much easier when it's 20 degrees outside. Probably will have him give me quite some slack so in the spring, I will trench my lines leading up to the house. Thanks in advance. Sorry pictures turned out so-so..and no..its not the Northern Lights you're seeing. I have an OLDY digital camera soo....

Attachments

• front - at a glance.jpg
    front - at a glance.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 351
  • looking straight towards 119,110 on future pole (shovel).jpg
    looking straight towards 119,110 on future pole (shovel).jpg
    10 KB · Views: 258
  • Looking straight towards sky on dish top.jpg
    Looking straight towards sky on dish top.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 291
  • side - at a glance.jpg
    side - at a glance.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 290
  • skyview 119, 110.JPG
    skyview 119, 110.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 287
The 1000.2 is not heavier than the 500. If the pole on the side of your house is sturdy now, it will be fine with the 1000.2. No struts will be needed. The 1000.2 is a little wider than the 500, so the pole may need to be switched. The 1000.2 pole has the same foot pattern as the 500, though, so nothing will change. As of line of site for 129, you should be alright, but can never be certain unless am actually there to do sight survey.

The 1000.2 is not heavier than the 500. If the pole on the side of your house is sturdy now, it will be fine with the 1000.2. No struts will be needed. The 1000.2 is a little wider than the 500, so the pole may need to be switched. The 1000.2 pole has the same foot pattern as the 500, though, so nothing will change. As of line of site for 129, you should be alright, but can never be certain unless am actually there to do sight survey.

I agree should be no problems with what you have now. The 1000.2 by the looks of the picture will need the different mast, but should still work where it is now. I would also leave it there, it will be more stable than a pole mount.

If your picture is looking to the southern sky, it appears you have the satellite locations backwards!!!!! Remember, the LNBF receives a signal that is bounced off the dish. So the satellites are actually reversed from where you show them. For example, 61.5 is closer to the East Coast and 129 is closer to the West Coast.

If your picture is looking to the southern sky, it appears you have the satellite locations backwards!!!!! Remember, the LNBF receives a signal that is bounced off the dish. So the satellites are actually reversed from where you show them. For example, 61.5 is closer to the East Coast and 129 is closer to the West Coast.

With all the pictures that I took, looking straight into the sky, they all were looking directly to the South Western sky which I stated was either atop the Dish 500 and atop my shovel (in lieu of future pole) looking towards the southwest sky. If in fact that I do have my sats reversed in the pictures, I apologize. Would I STILL be able to get all the beams from all satellites within my "clearing?"

Also, what sized pole should I get? I know every body says get fence pole, but when I built my fence last year, I went with the larger mouth termination poles. I doubt the dish could slide over that one. I am looking for a pole that the dish can just slide down on without being jury rigged.

As others mentioned, you don't need no stinkin' pole !!!!

The 1000,2 mast should work fine, as also mentioned.

If there was to be any problem of the wider dish hitting the house for proper alignment, I'd simply move the mast to the brick chimney.

fred

As others mentioned, you don't need no stinkin' pole !!!!

The 1000,2 mast should work fine, as also mentioned.

If there was to be any problem of the wider dish hitting the house for proper alignment, I'd simply move the mast to the brick chimney.

fred

Ok..lets say I decide to scrape the plan for the post. If I decide to go ahead with the 1000.2 on the sidewall, does the mast have an "extender" (for lack of better words) that extends out more so than a regular mast does? If the dish needs to be turned more WEST, it probably could turn only maybe a few centimeters at best.
If the 1000.2 does have an "extender" mast, would the "weight" be kinda heavy since the wall is practically holding the entire dish unsupported "way" out there? If that is irrelevant, how much "more" could I turn WEST at best guess?

Thank you all again, keep your advice coming. It gives me something to think about.

The 1000.2 is not much heavier than a dish 500. It is quite a bit wider but it wont really turn much more to the west. If you have a signal meter then you can lower the mast and peak the dish that way to give more clearance. Takes a little more effort but usually works.

Can't tell for sure, but by lookin at your pics, it looks like you may be real close on LOS for 129. (btw, your sat locations are reversed)

If the side of your house prevents LOS for 129, perhaps a pole mounted a few feet out from the house, as you suggested, would give you what you want.

does the mast have an "extended mast" (for lack of better words) that extends out more so than a regular mast does? If the dish needs to be turned more WEST, it probably could turn only maybe a few centimeters at best.
If the 1000.2 does have an "extended" mast, If that is relevant, how much "more" could I turn WEST at best guess?

Thank you all again, keep your advice coming. It gives me something to think about.

I really want to thank every one for trying, but this 1 question remains unanswered. If I could find an answer to this, then I will put this to bed.

If the 1000.2 mast is extended more out than a regular mast, then that would probably buy me some room to move more west. Right now, I only have like 2 or 3 centimeters before the dish hits the house if I so choose to turn more west.

Hi there Folks! The wife and I, we'd like to upgrade to the HD package probably after 1st of the year.

We currently have Dish 500 mounted on the side of the house on the wall part. I know if we do the 1000.2, it will be heavier and may need the support rods. I personally don't care to have the NEW dish mounted to the wall, and would prefer to have it pole mounted.
I have some questions. Currently the 500 dish is looking at 119 and 110. The right side of the dish is just a hair away from hitting the house wall. Picture will show it (hopefully). When we do the upgrade, will the tech align it to 129 or 61.5? My locals are the KC, MO market. I'd like to move the dish out 2 or s

Don't worry about 61.5, KC HD locals are on 129.

I really want to thank every one for trying, but this 1 question remains unanswered. If I could find an answer to this, then I will put this to bed.

If the 1000.2 mast is extended more out than a regular mast, then that would probably buy me some room to move more west. Right now, I only have like 2 or 3 centimeters before the dish hits the house if I so choose to turn more west.

One of the sponsors here Dish Mount Products offers an extended solution for you if the arm of the 1000.2 is insufficient.:)

I just got a new 1000.2 dish and didn't use the mount (adapted my old SuperDish pole), so I just compared it to a really old 500 mount and you would get another 4-1/2 inches away from the wall if mounted on the same surface.

As for the yard pole, you want something with 1-5/8 inch O.D. Menards sells something called a "dock post" for chain-link fence that works fine. They come in 8 and 12 foot lengths, and my wing dish for 61.5 is mounted on one. It was actually a little bit high for comfort, so I used a big tubing cutter to knock a foot off and that gave me the adapter piece I needed for the old SD mount, which is 2" O.D.

Compared to the old 500 mount, I would also say that the 1000.2 model is made of heavier gauge steel.

sigmtr

Thank you every body for your help on this. I ultimately decided to go with a 2 3/8 heavy duty terminal fence post. It is 1 foot away from where the current dish is mounted onto the southside wall. I went down 30 inches..did 4 nuts n bolts within the 30 inches of the post...3 bags of concrete and poured a little bit of leftover concrete down the post hole. Stiff as a rock and doesn't move. Will have the future dish U bolted on so I can have options for multiple dishes later on. Thanks again for everything every one.

you put a 2 3/8 pole in the ground? better start looking a reducer cuz the 1000.2 takes a 1 5/8 pole.

I am planning to not have the 1000.2 slide down the "shaft" of it's mast. I am planning on doing the U-bolt thing. I will have it u-bolted on the outside of the pole. For added effect, I will have 2 bolts screwed in, but out enough that the top and bottom of base will "rest" on the 2 bolts so it will not be able to move up and down. A friend of mine has a BUD or a C-Band dish and his is U-bolted too onto a 3 inch pole. Has not moved a centimeter.

Ok..lets say I decide to scrape the plan for the post. If I decide to go ahead with the 1000.2 on the sidewall, does the mast have an "extender" (for lack of better words) that extends out more so than a regular mast does? If the dish needs to be turned more WEST, it probably could turn only maybe a few centimeters at best.
If the 1000.2 does have an "extender" mast, would the "weight" be kinda heavy since the wall is practically holding the entire dish unsupported "way" out there? If that is irrelevant, how much "more" could I turn WEST at best guess?

Can you provide a picture of your set up, or your friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts