Future MPEG4 customers who have "moved"..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

byron!

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
chelsea, nyc
if your service address is your "vacation home" and you plan on getting the new HD-LIL services (when available), how are you planning on getting around the installer/equipment being sent to the wrong address. I recently had my HDTiVo replaced under the protection program, but I just got the tracking number and had the FedEx center hold it for pickup. but seeing as how D* is going to require professional installation, what is everyone planning on doing to keep their "moved" address?

FYI... my real location is in a market with no LIL and my "vacation home" is in the Pittsburgh (which is literally 10-20 miles from my DMA) DMA (but its so far out in the sticks I automatically qualified for DNS for all 4 networks). Hence the reason I was able to call Fedex and pick up the package (as opposed to living in FLA and "moving" to LA or NY).

Some might suggest just changing my address back to my real address sine D* is yanking HD-DNS when you sign up for HD-LIL, but there in lies the problem of my real home being in a tiny tiny DMA, thus unqualifying me for HD-LIL.

I don't know how i will do it. I just moved back to my real address to have my hd dvr and hdtv antenna installed. In a week or two i will "move" back into the pittsburgh dma so i can get pittsburgh locals since directv will probably never offer locals in my dma so I am in the same boat as you are.

i was under the impression that once i lost my DNS channels (SD - NY & LA, HD - NY only) that I couldn't get them back.

in any case... in this situation it doesn't help, because if you move.. you move yourself out of the DMA you are trying to get HD-LIL for.

Best ideas I have came up witih so far is..

1) order over the phone and don't say anything. wait for the installer to call and then tell him directv mistakenly included the wrong address and tell him you would be fine installing the new dish/reciever yourself and signing off on all the paperwork as well as giving him high marks on his installation. offer to meet him on his way to his next install (assuming its not too far).

2) order the dish and reciever out of pocket and then call D* after the fact and play dumb and request that they credit your account for the cost.

3) same as #2 except only order the dish out of pocket.. order the reciever from D* over the phone (assuming they will ship it UPS/FedEx) and get the tracking number and have it rerouted or pick it up at the hub.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)