Future of analog systems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twinomad

Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
northern az
Looking throu all the ads, I noticed that the FTA receivers is still advertised as "auto convert to ntsc" or things like auto convert from "pal to ntsc," but never to the newer system called atsc and no where I can find out why? Does anyone know what the future plans are for the different systems. I am looking into buying a FTA or possible FTA-HD and I don't want to buy something that is already obsolete. This new Sanyo Monitor/TV does not have a analog input. Does the 8psk have to go in the FTA receiver or can I install it in the Computer?

I think generally these terms only refer to an output signal, specifically, a composite or modulated output. These are provided, of course, so you can view the picture on a regular NTSC TV. As for conversion, the box is smart enough to realize it is decoding PAL video but displaying it on an NTSC box, so it will do that translation for you.

I believe I've seen a thread around here somewhere with people wishing for ATSC modulators. Sort of special purpose item and not at all common or useful to most folks, like an NTSC modulator that does more than channel 3 or 4. Most people would maintain digital fidelity by using a DVI or HDMI link to their display, failing that, at least achieve high definition through component connections.

I'd be shocked to learn a new monitor does not have any analog inputs. I include in this definition component video, VGA, etc. Not just analog modulated sources.

Your 8PSK question confuses me on a few different levels.

I think generally these terms only refer to an output signal, specifically, a composite or modulated output. These are provided, of course, so you can view the picture on a regular NTSC TV. As for conversion, the box is smart enough to realize it is decoding PAL video but displaying it on an NTSC box, so it will do that translation for you.
And you would be correct, as far as I know from similar language used for auto-NTSC-to-PAL on Euro TV's and STB's

I believe I've seen a thread around here somewhere with people wishing for ATSC modulators. Sort of special purpose item and not at all common or useful to most folks, like an NTSC modulator that does more than channel 3 or 4. Most people would maintain digital fidelity by using a DVI or HDMI link to their display, failing that, at least achieve high definition through component connections.
Well there is the ZeeVee but those are $500 for the original (VGA-to-QAM) and the newer rackmount units are $800.
ZeeVee ZvBox and the ZvPro are the only ATSC/QAM modulators I know of avalible to anybody.
As for what's taking so long is the matter of how ridiculously long and expensive the licensing is supposed to be for ATSC.

Your 8PSK question confuses me on a few different levels.
And me as well since 8psk a modulation scheme and not a particular Broadcast standard.

ATSC=DVB-S2 as 8VSB=8PSK (or something like that)
The first are Broadcasting methods, the second are modulation schemes.

I suppose the answer is "The DVB-S2 PCI card or the DVB-S2 receiver should support 8psk (as it is part of the standard) but regular DVB-S PCI cards and receivers probably will not"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help - New to FTA Satellite

Ghetto Satellite Rigs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)