Future of C-band.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Since getting into FTA I've realized that I could get several mesh C-band dishes for free (or next to nothing). The price is right, but space where I live is at a premium. Loosing the space would be the real investment.
Would anyone care to share their opinion of the future of the C-band FTA hobby? I would also be interested in opinions of what could be gained with a C-band setup. I see the extra channels, but would the gain (in channels) be worth it?
The clarifications by Stefan here:http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51610 got me to thinking about this. I really appreciate his comments. I never really thought of things in that light.
Thanks.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It is the main source of our programing. FTA is nice if you have the time and paitence to scan every satellite, with the C Band you just go to the satellite and flip through 24 channels then go to the next one. Takes about 30 seconds. Also I like the idea of knowing where something is and you know it's going to be there until you don't pay for it. Don't get me wrong, I like FTA, it's fun to play with and discover new things, but it's not reliable. As we say "here today, gone tomorrow." If you are a sports fan, it is a must. About 6 satellites FTA sporting events. Free music, any format you are into. I've had the "Big Boy" 22 years and it's the best investment I have ever made when it comes to entertainment. NPS is a very good provider and is dedacated to keeping C Band alive. I see a bright future.

I really wish R&D for the home user BUD would make a come back. I mean they now make feedhorn and dishes that are capable of receiving most of the arc. That way you can serve all the receivers at the same type with independant channel viewing without moving the dish.

Now I do not know if they can be scaled down to the 8' - 10' range for home use, but I have seen them in action. I mean it sure would be nice to have a 8' toroidal type dish. With the available C/Ku/Ka/DBS/ LNBs we just buy and add in the receivers of choice, but all served from the same dish.

Last edited:
If you need space then you can get some phased array ku and c-band domes that are smaller but you will have to pay a bit for some of them.

C Band

123tim said:
Since getting into FTA I've realized that I could get several mesh C-band dishes for free (or next to nothing). The price is right, but space where I live is at a premium. Loosing the space would be the real investment.
Would anyone care to share their opinion of the future of the C-band FTA hobby? I would also be interested in opinions of what could be gained with a C-band setup. I see the extra channels, but would the gain (in channels) be worth it?
The clarifications by Stefan here:http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51610 got me to thinking about this. I really appreciate his comments. I never really thought of things in that light.
Thanks.

I have both C/KU BUD and FTA...Wouldn't trade the BUD for any pizza offering and FTA really rounds it out for me. In other words...Just say NO to PIZZA!
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)