Futurist: Both Formats Will Grow

The only problem with this article is that discs sales are not equal now and there does not seem to be anything in the current future to suggest an equality might happen. And if HD-DVD cannot at least show parity with BluRay how are they going to convince other BD studio supports to also support HD-DVD?

As the numbers get bigger that 70 to 30 ratio that BD is holding over HD-DVD in discs sales is only going to get bigger. This is begging to look like the old VHS and BETA wars all over again. Toshiba will stay in the game and so will Universal as long as those M$ dollars keep flowing but what happens if M$ turns off the spigot or comes out with a BD player for their XBOX360?

It's currently 62.49% to 37.51% for the year in Blu's favor. All current data supports that the ratio BD is holding will not get bigger. Look at the sources yourself. plenty of info on the AVS forums.

who cares? LOL Right now, neither is blowing anyone out of the water. At my local Hastings, they have both formats available for rent (and to purchase), both take up the same amount of room (Proud of Hasting to give both equal ground, too bad others haven't!) and ALL of them are in, no movies are out (for rent).

who cares? LOL Right now, neither is blowing anyone out of the water. At my local Hastings, they have both formats available for rent (and to purchase), both take up the same amount of room (Proud of Hasting to give both equal ground, too bad others haven't!) and ALL of them are in, no movies are out (for rent).

Exactly, this war was stupid. Both formats are for the most part equal as far as entertainment purposes. BD does have the advantage in terms of mass storage in long run, but that only really comes in to play in regards to computer users. I think this will have an impact, but we are still at least 3 years from the burners reaching critical mass. HD-dvd has a slight advantage now in that the players are much cheaper in terms of price point but this won't last longer than a year or two tops. This stupid war is unfortunately going to carry on for a long time and we are all going to lose because toshiba and sony could'nt get along.

Exactly, this war was stupid. Both formats are for the most part equal as far as entertainment purposes. BD does have the advantage in terms of mass storage in long run, but that only really comes in to play in regards to computer users. I think this will have an impact, but we are still at least 3 years from the burners reaching critical mass. HD-dvd has a slight advantage now in that the players are much cheaper in terms of price point but this won't last longer than a year or two tops. This stupid war is unfortunately going to carry on for a long time and we are all going to lose because toshiba and sony could'nt get along.

This war is what is driving HW prices down. It really is a good thing.

This war is what is driving HW prices down. It really is a good thing.
Hmmm.... How about if everybody agreed on a single format, and then competition among producers of that single format would lower prices on that single format?
s1.gif

How about manufacturing more units of a single format lowering the production costs?
s2.gif

Not necessarily disagreeing with your point. But pressure to lower prices can exist with or without a format war, me thinks.

Meanwhile, my $355 brand new Sammy BD-P1200 Blu-Ray player arrives tomorrow! :bounce

Hmmm.... How about if everybody agreed on a single format, and then competition among producers of that single format would lower prices on that single format?
s1.gif

How about manufacturing more units of a single format lowering the production costs?
s2.gif

Not necessarily disagreeing with your point. But pressure to lower prices can exist with or without a format war, me thinks.

Meanwhile, my $355 brand new Sammy BD-P1200 Blu-Ray player arrives tomorrow! :bounce

Hope you enjoy the new player. HD media PQ/AQ is super regardless of the format.:up

"Hmmm.... How about if everybody agreed on a single format, and then competition among producers of that single format would lower prices on that single format?"

Except without competition, I fear Sony would be slow to make improvements and would keep royalties high, slowing any price drop. I don't want to see HD DVD go away TOO quickly. And if they stick around, I won't shed a tear.

...pressure to lower prices can exist with or without a format war, me thinks.
This is true as long as there are no subsidized players, like the XBox360 add-on and PS3.
And those are not going away any time soon.

Diogen.

Hope you enjoy the new player. HD media PQ/AQ is super regardless of the format.:up

Thanks! I read great stuff about this player (Samsung BD-P1200) here at Satellite Guys. But today I went over and checked the thread at AVSForum and there seemed to be lots of complaints. :( Now I am wondering if I should open the box when it gets here or turn around and ebay it again while it is still sealed. (That's where I got it.)

Right now I have an OPPO upconverter which looks great to me with standard DVDs at 1080i. (My HDTV is 1080i because it is 3 or 4 years old, before all these 1080p sets came out.) The HDTV uses DVI and I have only analog 5.1 audio. I think most of the complaints about the BD-P1200 were about decoding digital audio and issues with cutting edge HDMI versions. So, considering my setup is older, I assume I would be plenty happy with the BD-P1200. I am hoping the BD-P1200 upconverts as well as the OPPO since standard DVDs will be mostly what we will watch for a long time until more Blu-Ray rentals are available.

By the way, the only reason I went to Blu-Ray over HD-DVD was because Blu-Ray is the format the local video stores are renting. There is only one store with HD-DVD rentals at least 10 miles away and at least 3 stores closer offer Blu-Ray. I just want to get a player for the format I can use. (That was also how I decided on VHS over betamax about 20 years ago.)

The HDMI on the Sammy will work with no problems with your DVI. As for analog out - that is the easiest way to get the PCM on BDs to your receiver if you do not have HDMI. Besides, most movies are only 5.1 anyway.

The folks at AVS are very pro HD-DVD and are quick to pull the gun on any BD product. That said, there have been problems in the past with the Samsung BD product but they have since corrected those problems and that was with an earlier model.

The HDMI on the Sammy will work with no problems with your DVI. As for analog out - that is the easiest way to get the PCM on BDs to your receiver if you do not have HDMI. Besides, most movies are only 5.1 anyway.

The folks at AVS are very pro HD-DVD and are quick to pull the gun on any BD product. That said, there have been problems in the past with the Samsung BD product but they have since corrected those problems and that was with an earlier model.

JoeSp! Many thanks for the reply and putting my mind at ease. I did not know about the pro HD-DVD bias at AVS.

I will open the box. ;) The family is in for a surprise tonight.

I did not know about the pro HD-DVD bias at AVS.

I will open the box. ;) The family is in for a surprise tonight.

There's not. There is an equal amount of blue vs. red over there and the mods are fed up with most everyone. You can get good info in either forum and you will see fanboys trolling in both forums. One of the worst is actually a blueboy that puts out info that never comes true.

S~

Enjoy your Sammy. If you don't like it, the Panasonic is outstanding and supports TrueHD and DTS-HDRA and DVD-A.

S~

Diogen, we both know that to each other our respective oppinions are not worth a hill of beans -- that is to each other.:) Did I misspeak about the Sammys?

Teachsac, what is DTS-HDRA? Did you mean DTS-HDMA?

Since 1080iBeVuMin meationed upconverting. Does anyone know if any of the BD players use the HQV chip for upconverting to 1080p?

Since 1080iBeVuMin meationed upconverting. Does anyone know if any of the BD players use the HQV chip for upconverting to 1080p?

Samsung 1200 uses the HQV chip. Video is nice, but I heard that the audio side really isn't all that great. No True HD Support or DTS HD decoder.

S~