G1 Signal problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BOBHUSKER

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Northern California

I have an 8-foot dish with a DMS International C/KU Digital LNBF that gets a great signal on every C-Band satellite except the G1 (133 degrees). I have had problems in the past but usually got just enough of a signal to get by. I have a 922 4DTV receiver and I need a 40 quality plus for HBO. Last month, SkyVision told me the problem was a wayward satellite. Things improved a few days later until this evening. I now cannot get more than a 23 quality on channel 100 meaning that all my HBO’s are out!! I have my actuator set to “Linear East.” My LNB type is “C-Band and KU band LNBF.” My feedhorn polarization is set to “Rotated 90%.” I have to use that setting to get the H transponders. Also, I use a G-Box to move my dish instead of the receiver. Since SkyVision is closed until Monday, I thought I would try you guys out. Changing the LNB type to just “C-Band LNBF” does not improve a thing. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Bob

Alignment of the dish. The HBO's on G1 are harder to get because they use a 7/8 FEC. Which means that there is very little error correction. The reason they do this is to give the excellent picture by using that extra bandwidth for video instead. HBO on G1 was really designed to work with 12 foot or larger satellite dishes that cable companies use. A smaller dish will work but you will experience issues here and there. Thats why it is very important to have your dish peaked to the max if you want the HBO's. Heck I don't sub to them currently but when aligning my dish I always use the EBNO on HBO to squeeze every last drop out of G1. This assures me my dish is operating at maximum efficiency.

Get the wrenches out do some tweaking of the azimuth and elevation and make sure the feedhorn is dead center on the dish.

Last edited:
Everything tvroro said. :D
Also...
Ditch the Gbox, and let the 922 do it's thing the way it was intended, including moving the dish back to G1 for updates. The FTA receiver will also work fine this way since you have an LNBF. (Both receivers can select polarity). Those Gbox/Vbox things are cheaply made Chinese junk compared to the 922. The dish probably isn't even stopping on G1 exactly everytime, causing some signal loss right there, especially on 7/8 FEC signals, where precise aim is a must :eek:

Everything tvroro said. :D
Also...
Ditch the Gbox, and let the 922 do it's thing the way it was intended, including moving the dish back to G1 for updates. The FTA receiver will also work fine this way since you have an LNBF. (Both receivers can select polarity). Those Gbox/Vbox things are cheaply made Chinese junk compared to the 922. The dish probably isn't even stopping on G1 exactly everytime, causing some signal loss right there, especially on 7/8 FEC signals, where precise aim is a must :eek:

7/8 FEC is a good thing. It allows one to fine tune to get that last drop of signal. Too much error correction will mask a poorly aligned dish. I run my system like a commercial headend, I want things done right. It pays off when conditions get kind of rough. Case in point, when Zombiesat was interfering with AMC-11 I was hanging out on the MTV master suite allot. I never had an issue with any interference. I was pegged at 99Q all the time. Pays to do it right :D

Having same problem here with my Orbitron-7. Except it started about 3 or 4 days ago and signal goes back up to the 40's after 10 pm or so until the heat of the day starts next day. Yesterday reached 103 degrees! Yes I know my dish is to small,but reckon heat could have something to do with it?:confused:

Having same problem here with my Orbitron-7. Except it started about 3 or 4 days ago and signal goes back up to the 40's after 10 pm or so until the heat of the day starts next day. Yesterday reached 103 degrees! Yes I know my dish is to small,but reckon heat could have something to do with it?:confused:

Heat causes thermal noise *K Kelvin* from the ground to be a big factor *especially on smaller dishes*. Also your LNB temperature goes up as the outside temp goes up. Not to beat up the guys using small buds but I was taught way back in the day that you need to build a margin into your install. What that means is you want extra headroom for when things like this happens. I didn't put up a 12 foot dish for the look of it *although it's cool :)* I put it up to be way above receiver threshold which give me the edge when anything goes on that can cause a reduction in signal.

Thanks for all of your replies. The reason I use the G-box is I don't want my dish moving automatically. I move it back to the G1 before bed every night. On Thursday night, I was getting a 43 quality on channel 100 and everything was fine. Now, as of last night, it is down to 30 or less which is not good enough to get a picture. It is windy today (and last night) here in the San Francisco Bay Area so I may have my satellite friend try to adjust the dish. But, like I said, all my other sat's are working fine. I may cancel my HBO subscription with SkyVision on Monday as I am real tired of these problems!!!!

Thanks for all of your replies. The reason I use the G-box is I don't want my dish moving automatically. I move it back to the G1 before bed every night. On Thursday night, I was getting a 43 quality on channel 100 and everything was fine. Now, as of last night, it is down to 30 or less which is not good enough to get a picture. It is windy today (and last night) here in the San Francisco Bay Area so I may have my satellite friend try to adjust the dish. But, like I said, all my other sat's are working fine. I may cancel my HBO subscription with SkyVision on Monday as I am real tired of these problems!!!!

If you can't get G1 up to snuff on your smaller bud you can always subscribe to the W5 HBO's through SRL. They have 3/4 FEC and are better for small buds even 6 footers. If you use the 922 for a mover you can turn off auto updates. Mine has been like that since day one.

I don't know how much you understands about aligning a bud but you should able get an 8 foot to be okay on G1 for the HBO most of the time.

You and you friend can study these. This stuff is a wealth of information for the bud user.

http://boresight.ripco.com/0630_152823-2.wmv

Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

Last edited:
you can turn off that feature of havin your dish move automatically at 2am, chk the settings, mine is off.

as for the G1 sat, can some of these problems ppl are havin is because that sat has gone crazy now? i have not seen much on it for a bit, last i heard it was close to 131w

as for the G1 sat, can some of these problems ppl are havin is because that sat has gone crazy now? i have not seen much on it for a bit, last i heard it was close to 131w

The Zombiesat threat is over at 133 and 131 now. 133 is where G-15 went nuts, it was replaced with G-12. G-15 is drifting to the east waiting to cause more problems with G-14 and G-18 later this summer.

Thanks again for all of you who have posted. I may go ahead and let my 922 move the dish to see if that helps. I just checked my subs on W1 and W3 and they are working well, but, I did notice a little less of a signal. Perhaps my dish does need some re-alignment. Time to get to work.

G1 usually works fine on my 7.5' dish. There are other factors such as terrestrial interference. I get drop outs that i can time on a stop watch proving it is some type of TI. today even on my 10' dish HBO and Max are down to 63% quality. they are usually 83% plus.

G1 HBO Problems

Hello,

I noticed the same issue today on G1 for the HBO feeds. I took out my FirstStrike FS1 meter for a measurement, and the other transponders are coming in normally. I wonder if the transponder that HBO is on went weak?

I have a mesh 10' dish (cannot find a 12' or 18' to put on the pole). I also noticed similar fade issues on Ku band on AMC 21 (125W) where the signals that usually come in like a ton of bricks are barely there.

One one note, it seems to be the Vertically polarized signals that are bearing the brunt of the issue.

Brian

My HBO's are down in Q on my 12 foot today something is going on with HBO or the bird.

Last edited:
HBO G1 Signal Problem

I thought I would post an update. I called SkyVision and they said they have received numerous complaints about the G1. As of now, they are unsure of what is causing the problem. The signal is fine at S.V. headquarters and only some of their customers are not working. Because I have had problems with this sat before (because I only have an 8 foot dish), I canceled my subscription and as soon as my credit card is credited, I am going to re-subscribe on the W-5 sat, which has a much stronger signal. The S.V. guys say they take calls for SRL too, which is a good thing because the S.V. service guys are great!! I highly recommend them. They answer their emails fast too.

Thanks again to everybody at this forum. I cannot put into words how much you guys have helped this newbie out (especially tvropro).

I checked my HBO this morning and it was normal. Although it was down about 9 quality points yesterday. Having a 12 foot dish though it had allot to go even with it weaker yesterday because I'm way above threshold.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea though even if you sub on W5 to peak up the dish. I have to schedule to touch mine up too just in case it's off a bit. It's been a year since I peaked my Bud. :D

G1 HBO just for the record

I was looking at the Q on my HBO this afternoon and it's a bit down so I said let's see if it on my end. So I went out with my 5" tv set for EBNO. I pushed down and lifted up on the dish... dead center was the best so my dish is right on the money. This confirms there is an issue with the uplink at HBO or G-12.

Any one that wants to do the same set your dish on HBO play with the jack and skew for maximum then take a tv out to the dish. Push Options 6,0,5 diagnostics C and watch the EBNO. It should be maximum in the middle. If it goes up by lifting or pushing down on the dish your dish needs alignment.

This report from the TvroPro Headend :)

I just thought I would mention that I switched my subscription to the W5 (HBO) and my problems are solved. It's the first time I have watched HBO trouble free since I got C-Band on April 2nd. It's a good thing because my signal is still down 15% on the G1 so it looks like that problem is here to stay. I get a 71 quality on the W5. :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)