Status
Please reply by conversation.

beer4me

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
Gowganda North Ontario
in the past i have spent quite a bit of time looking for g10r , and quite bluntly gave up . i have read that g18 replaced g10r . is there any improvement in signal strength etc. i don't want to risk losing more hair. [ near toronto with a 33" dish . ] i have managed to find other sats with no grief, and am quite patient . thanks for any info. :confused:

the problem is that you are probably having interference issues from the adjacent birds specially since AMC 21 @ 125W started on Ku at the biggining of this year, but the 33" dish works. Heck I even tried a 24" Dish with a very low noise LNB on a very sunny day and with a very very short run os RG-6 it worked.

I was at my sisters last weekend, she has a fixed 30" pointed at g18 and she was having problems when 125W started up, but not much lately. Except about 1/2 hour before I needed to leave the F1 race we were watching lost signal. All the channels on that transponder lost a lock, I think it was 11720.

Not enought time to try and adjust it for better signal. At least her kids are more into video games than tv.

thanks.

i've been away . thanks for the info. i am near timmins , and , at least i have some hope. thanks again.:up

G18 at 123W is sandwiched between the stronger signals from 119W and 125W.

For me, G18's signal is hard to pick out with a analog beeper type meter (which is the only kind I have). When listening with the beeper, it is hard to pick out G18's weaker signal between its noisy neighbors.

Set up your receiver and a small TV right by your dish. First find 119W, which has a very strong signal, then mark the position of your mounting pole to dish mount rotating/clamping collar with a pencil. Go to the antenna setup/installation screen for your receiver. Set your receiver to a strong transponder on G18. You may need to manually enter the values. (There is good info on strong transponders for each FTA satellite on this site.) Slowly rotate your dish about 1 mm at your pencil mark to the West. You should now be very close to 123w G18, and hopefully you will see some signal quality on your chosen transponder. Peak signal and enjoy! If you go too far and get 125W, make another pencil mark, and know that 123W has to be right there between your marks.

Hope this helps, I spent many frustrating hours trying to find G10 then G18 before figuring out the above after much online study and trial and error. Now I can find G18 in a few minutes with a 30" or larger dish.

G18 may be a little easier to align if you are on the west coast but I can get it on an 20" old hughes net dish. Now to stop rain fade I use a 90cm dish. As for interference from adjacent birds forget it, poor signal is down to alignment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)