gabshere's Birdview

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Great ideas Greg
for right now i will leave them but if i do work on them i have a dremal that can cut them off
( little scared to mess with old aluminum with rusted parts on them lol )

Ok not much for me to do yet as the yard is still to wet to work in. The dish is still on the trailer. So i decided to check on a couple of things, one ( and the main thing) was cleaning the dish surface. Skewed mentioned it was algae , which i thought to be correct , it looked like a black algae with several spocts of lichen growing well. Now if you know anything about algae its hard to get rid of plus throw in to the mix the rough texture of the Birdview surface , that makes for the perfect clinging surface and difficult to clean.

So i decided to test a spot out with pool chlorine ( granulated its what i use instead of shock ) so i got 1 ounce of pool chlorine and mixed it with one ounce of water ( Warning Warning pool chlorine is much stronger than you bleach that you buy in the jug at wal-mart. it can be very harmful to most anything it touches clothes , eyes, open sores) Use with caution. my test spot can be seen in the photos below. the test spot showed killed and discolored algae after a minute or two.

now for my second aplication i used 3 ounces of pool chlorine & 32 ounces of water. after 10 minutes surface area showed discolored areas , i guess where i might have overlapped the spray area with enough to kill the algae but other areas only showed minor discoloration to the algae. I will post those pic in the next reply box .

Attachments

• DSCF4948.JPG
    DSCF4948.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF4949.JPG
    DSCF4949.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF4950.JPG
    DSCF4950.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF4951.JPG
    DSCF4951.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF4952.JPG
    DSCF4952.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 113
heres the photos mentioned above with the mixture ratio of 3 to 32

ran out of mixture after 1/2 way on second application will have to mix more and try again tomorrow.

so far i have not touched or rubbed the dish surface this is just with a spray application. i might have to consider a brush later depending on how clean the surface gets from the spray applications.

Total expected cost of cleaning dish surface
1 bag of super shock (16 oz) $3
1 galon of water $1

notice i'm using a reduces ratio , i'm catching most all of the run off with a bowl below the dish and can use it in my pool or dispose of in a area that can handle chlorine . overspray is a concern with clothes , probably best to wear old clothes.

Attachments

• DSCF4953.JPG
    DSCF4953.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF4954.JPG
    DSCF4954.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF4955.JPG
    DSCF4955.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 117
That should be pretty much the same deal as vinyl siding wash - only I think that stuff is probably not nearly as strong of a ratio as you are mixing...
Plus, I'm not sure how much it costs as the only stuff I've used was given to me...
I know it removed some really heavy algae in certain spots...

I took the last Birdview solid I got by the local car wash that had the wands to spray with while it was still on the trailer. The car wash did a great job cleaning it. Total cost was about $12.00.

Course Phlatwound now has that dish. :)

I was going to suggest a carwash. We actually own one in Broken Arrow (was going to tear it down for a new office, but financially it didn't make sense after reviewing the books) . If you find one that has the pressure turned up like I do and can pump as much hot water as mine, it should cleanup really well. I actually have the soap mix doubled right now because of the ice and snow we have had the last week. If your local washes operate like that, it might be a good time to run it thru.

We have major problems with algae around here, that dish was very close to a live oak and was not cleaned for years and years. I have oaks close to my house also and the boxing gets full of this stuff, every spring a go to lowes and get a gallon of "jomax" cleaner and a couple gallons of " industrial strength bleach" This stuuf is strong and it wil;l clean sidewalks back to almost new concreate look. I mix the Jo-max with bleach and as per the directions, but mabye a little stronger and I spray it on, let it set and hose it off. in difficult areas I keep spraying the idea is to keep it wet with the solution, a bug sprayer helps to cut down on product waste also. Sometimes on my side walk I have take a brush to it inbetween the soakings. I hope that this helps, living only a few miles from the gulf of mexico we have hot and humid weather and major problems with mold , mildew and algae. I can even show you homes near the port of Iberia that have purple algae growing on them!!! For those of you with salt water tanks I thought that was suppose to be coraline algae!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts