Please reply by conversation.

tedb3rd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Rome, Georgia, United States
QUESTION 1) What size dish do I need to receive 11720 V, and 11799 V transponders from the Galaxy 10r (123W) satellite? I setup my system and I get 10 channels from the blind scan: KBS World, CEA, 3CTV, 3C Community, CEA, TimeShift, Retrojams, KBZT, and 2 pay channels. (The DishPointer site says I need a 300cm dish for that satellite but it also says I need a 30" for 119 but Dish 1000 works fine here with my DishNetwork system.) ...I'm hoping the dish I have will suffice.

I'm hoping my problem is this...

QUESTION 2) I noticed that 11720 and 11799 frequencies are not listed under my INSTALLTION -> DISH SETTING (123W Galaxy 10r) -> Frequency list. I tried adding the transponders (11720 V 27692, 11799 V 26657) but, after that, it does not list what I just added nor does it scan those frequencies when I try to do a channel search again.

I would really like to get the channels that are on those transponders. Also, I'm brand new to FTA so if anybody realizes an ID-Ten-T error that I might be committing, then let me know. (...thats "I D 1 0 T" error)

Here is my setup:
Coolsat 6100 Private
Winegard 30" DS-2076
Zintech Dual Polarity LNBF ZKF-F22N

1. a 30" dish will be fine. I use the exact same dish you have (30" Winegard) here in MN
2. I would just do a blind scan and let the box grab the frequencies :)

What kind of signal strength do you get? I did a blind scan but it still only picks up the 10 channels that I mentioned above.

According to the Lyngsat coverage map on Galaxy 18 (aka 10r, correct?)--I am in the >50 EIRP zone. So, as I understand, I'm about in as good as a location you can get for that sat. Am I reading the map correctly?

I'll try tweaking the alignment. ...and also, what's the deal with skewing the LNB? Do I need to do that--my dish is pointing to only one sat and I only have 1 lnb. The dish is set 90--straight to the pole.

So, you say your from, "places men fear to tread?" Perhaps you can come help me!--it shouldn't be too long a drive since I'm only about 20 minutes away from the Alabama state line! ( - :

MN=Minnesota :)

Skew is critical when aiming a single satellite dish. If its at zero skew (up and down) I have no clue how youre getting anything. check thelist at the top. Put in your zip and it will tell you what the skew is for your area. For me its around 30 so if I am in front of the dish facing it I turn the LNB counterclockwise 30 degrees (the dish might have notches or the LNB does)

Lyngsat maps I take with a grain of salt. Some of those maps say I can get C-Band with a 36" dish but we all know that aint gonna happen :)

Too bad I didn't know-I was up in Ft Payne about a week ago, on one of the hottest days yet, not too far from Rome!
You should be able to figure out that little problem with the skew though. Then all those channels will pop in for you and you won't believe how much tv you're getting.

I guess I just used my newbie stupidity card for that one. Thanks for the training. I'm used to doing Dish Network, DirecTV, and WB installs and that doesn't matter since they are circular. If it did, I guess you would set the RPMs on the LNB.

(I guess I can make fun of AL because all but 2 people in my entire family (mine and wife's) was either born, raised, and/or lives there now. Gadsden is closest family and that's not far from Ft.Payne at all!)

Be sure to peak your dish, including moving the LNBF in and out as well as skew (turning clockwise, counter clockwise) for maximum signal. Very fine movements are needed to get the maximum signal. Once you think you have it, check all the transponders for signal strength, as sometimes you can peak for one and it will not be peaked for another.

Congratulations you found 123W!

If you aren't already, try setting a tv and your receiver outside next to the dish and use the built in signal meter to fine tune for different tps.

Make marks on your hardware to show where you are now.

With all your nuts and bolts tight try pulling back on an edge of the dish, top, bottom, left or right, while looking at the signal meter. If pulling one of these directions improves your signal then you need to move the dish that way, a very small amount.

what's the deal with skewing the LNB?

You have two different threads going. Do you have the motor hooked up now?

If you're using the motor then the skew should start at zero and the motor will change the angle of the whole dish as it moves across the arc. You may fine tune it a little to one side or the other of zero but that should be your last step.

If you aren't using the motor then you need to turn the skew for 123w and your location as given by a sat calculator.

I had an SG-2100 but yesterday it just quit working--period. Nothing except for the little LED indicator light was green. I tried resetting receiver and the motor, no help. I tried pressing the button for manual move--nothing. I tried controlling via the receiver--nothing. So after tweaking that for all week and then to have it completely crap out, I was a little frustrated. Anyways. It's being returned and I'll look into getting another. For now, I'm just going to shoot at 123W and do a little more research on motors. When I was trying to find true south, I kept finding 89W satellite with the USALS set to 87W (so I thought) (2.2 degree change for my location, so you really can't tell just by looking at the dish) so I was troubleshooting the wrong thing. I thought the motor was moving but it wasn't. Anyways...

I have skewed the LNB and now I'm doing the blind scan again as I type this. We'll see.

...much better. Thanks for the suggestions! I got many more stations and now the signal strength is in the mid 80's. I'll get a new motor and when I get that installed/tweaked it will be even more glorious.

Good deal , now you can enjoy G10 ! Plus its good experience, seems to be a fairly tough satellite to hit sometimes.

I got a fixed on G18. Would not want a motor on it! ---(and a dish on G25, one on AMC4, one form PBS, one for E*7, etc. Course my space is only slightly limited and I will have at least 8 receivers hooked up when I finish, Motors sound like way too much trouble for KU. Not C band will be a diferent story.
Smile, Please,
POP

I am sure you already sent that motor back, but if you didn't, switch to another cable you have laying around to determine if it really is the motor. When I was initially playing around I had the same issue.... and it came down to a bad cable... was really strange. And POP you would need something military grade or created by NASA to withstand the winds on some of our most severe planets just to have a motor at your place. hehe

Thanks, badhat! Yes, my post for the 1M on G25 did not like the wind last weekend. 10 second gust was under 50, but the peak was a real BLAST. Looks like a 3/8 inch offset in it now. Fortunately, without a motor I can just realign the dish. Will wait 'til the wind calms down. A neighbors shop caught fire Monday-- about 75 fighters and 20 trucks showed up to fight the fire. If it had hit the hay field, it would have gone 15,000 acres in minutes. We got it stopped. Lost a 4WD John Deere and welders, but we did not let it jump the road.
Now back to the thread - sorry for the hi-jack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)