Galaxy 16 @ 99W question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Hello,

http://www.lyngsat.com/g16.html

shows a bunch of audio channels in the clear in the Ku band.

Are those actually in the clear and more importantly, are they DVB or DC-2 ?

I am wondering whether there is a technical restriction that a Transponder must be all DVB or all DC-2 and so Lyngsat only lists that designation once per transponder...

On the ku side, you can sometimes get the CNN Airport channel, but it has "No Sound" when this happens. And, you have to do an "All Scan" to get it.

Al

I can get that too sometimes ( video - no sound ) If I do a blind scan for all ( FTA and scrambled ). At first when I got my new blind scan receiver I scanned for everything to try it out but now usually only FTA. The only exception is G13 which has SNOT and SNOM which are scrambled. It cracks me up everytime I see them come up on a scan.

You can look around for a used 905 or 920 and should be able to hit G-16 Ku with a 90cm dish, you will also be able to subscribe to the DCII programming if you would like to.

Concerning mixing digital formats (MPEG or DCII) on a single transponder, I believe you can if that transponder has multiple frequencies in use. A different digital format can be used on each different frequency on that transponder. However in the commercial world, if the transponder is only using a single frequency, it will only use a single digital format type at a time. Have fun.

You can look around for a used 905 or 920 and should be able to hit G-16 Ku with a 90cm dish, you will also be able to subscribe to the DCII programming if you would like to.

Hmmm. This makes me wonder. Those HITS channels are 19510 3/4 , which something cheap like a DSR-4200C can do I am pretty sure. I may have to try that just for fun. I have one of those boxes in the closet somewhere.

I believe I read that a 4200 can do HITS, but wouldn't it have to be authorized?

I have a 4200C, maybe I'll give it a try :)

Yes, a 4200C might be able to get some of those signals I think. The only thing is the 4200C must have been previously authorized in order to get FP signals. Also I believe there is an option in the menus to reset the authorization. So, if the previous owner reset the authorization before getting rid of the receiver, it might have removed the ability to get FP signals, though I'm not really sure about that. Anyway, I'd not recommend ever selecting that option as I'm not sure of the consequences and suspect they might not be good.

One would expect that there might be some dsr-4200s showing up on ebay soon as PBS is dropping some of their DCII feeds pretty soon. One thing to consider with the DSR-4200, is these receivers are getting a bit of age on them and the batteries may be getting toward the end of thier life span in some of them.

Last edited:
Talked to Annenberg today, no problem authorizing these for home users. They just need the unit ID and serial number. They want a license mailed into them, which you can print out from their website, but she said they would go ahead and authorize the unit for me now. I'm at the office and had sent myself the unit ID number, but didn't have the serial number here so it has to wait for now. I will maybe start a new thread about these in the near future, containing things about authorizing, how to use Voom/Primestar remotes, etc. Just a lot of unknowns about these things, I learn something every time I power it on it seems.

Talked to Annenberg today, no problem authorizing these for home users. They just need the unit ID and serial number. They want a license mailed into them, which you can print out from their website, but she said they would go ahead and authorize the unit for me now. I'm at the office and had sent myself the unit ID number, but didn't have the serial number here so it has to wait for now. I will maybe start a new thread about these in the near future, containing things about authorizing, how to use Voom/Primestar remotes, etc. Just a lot of unknowns about these things, I learn something every time I power it on it seems.

Good to know! I'll try that myself. I wish it was that easy for all of the FP stuff up there :)

Good to know! I'll try that myself. I wish it was that easy for all of the FP stuff up there :)

I was under the impression that it is that easy, I guess I'll soon find out. My understanding is that if I get anybody to authorize for me, it should then get all FP and ZK up there. No?

Theoretically, it should get all zero key stuff anyway, although I don't believe there's much of that if any. FP is a different story though. I don't think it will get FP unless individually authorized for each service, although I might be mistaken. Maybe Stefan would know the answer to that one?

The only receiver that I know will get FP out of the box is the Motorola 4800/Digitrans 7150 series...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)