Galaxy 18 +AMC 21 with one dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

orange_999

Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
West Indies
Hi !

I currently have (2) 90cm Channel Masters pointing at Galaxy 18 and AMC 21.
I get good signal from both dishes.
My question is ,can I utilize one dish for both birds ?
They are only 2 deg apart.
My thinkin is that I can jerry rig a mount for both LNBs and I can find some other use for my other dish.

By the way..thanks fly out to MUZAK for trashing all their 90 CM Channel master dishes and linear LNBS in the dumpster ! :)

Background Info....
I live in the Dominican .. so really I am at the end of the arc here with almost no elevation ...lol ..
....just looking for some confirmation that my idea would work !

Thanks much for any thoughts on this !

123°/125° when they are at the horizon?
My feeling is: NO
No matter how far south you are.

Give me your latitude, longitude, and the focal length of the dish and we'll see.
Plus, if there are LNB side support arms, you would have to come up with a technique to move them apart to install two tiny LNBs.

Click on this link into the AMC21 thread, wait for the page to settle, and then read the next few posts for more info.

Yes..you bring up some good points..like the LNB support arms..they will most definately have to be modified...very possibly we are looking at one dish missing a support arm...:(
Another task is to choose which sat will be offset...(Example.. center mast on Galaxy18 then offset for AMC 21 or center mast on AMC21 then offset for Galaxy 18.

Im almost pointed into the ground here elevation wise with both dishes ..LOL !
Im at 18.838 70.460

With the lower elevation comes increased noise levels.. (AMC 21)
AMC 21 has a HOT MCPC that carries the main payload of PBS.
Galaxy 18 has many transponders with varying signal levels...so it makes sense to spare Galaxy 18 the signal loss that will occur.

I think I will start out by center masting the dish to Galaxy 18, and then offset to AMC 21.

Thanks to everyone with their suggestions

Orange 999:
One of the questions I asked when I started in FTA within the last month was how to do exactly what you are trying to do..The answers were a bit technical for this newbie so I have a dish at G18 only for now..Good luck on the project.

You might look at page 4 & 5 of the AMC 21 thread for some examples of dual LNB.
Without the focal length of the 90cm dish, I can't calculate the spacing between LNBs.
But from experience, I think you are up the creek with that dish, from that location, for those birds.

WescoPC has a post in those pages where he got 2° spacing on a very long focal length dish, but his location was closer in alignment with the satellites.
Do follow his link and read his exploits.

Since these dishes are so plentiful, I recommend using two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)