Galaxy 19 not on the sat list in Coolsat 6100. Need help with setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Any way to figure out what is the offset of that dish? I can then use the angle finder to make sure.

Also any opinion on this satellite finder ?
Amazon.com: Satellite Finder: Electronics

Since the dish is mounted on the balcony, I can look at my TV while pointing. I just don't think 6100 is fast enough to give me at least the initial blip to know I am going the right way.

Ah yes, I missed the dishpointer data that was posted, very good.

apsinkus, SatAV & Pixl asked you earlier what transponder info you had entered, are you sure you have entered an active tp?

Please list it and we can verify activity, if you don't enter a hot tp you will get NOTHING.

I think this is the same dish you have, looks like 24.62 degrees:

AZURE SHINE AZ90 90CM Offset Satellite Dish

[h=4][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Technical Specifications[/FONT][/h]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mechanical[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Effective Aperture[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]90 cm / 36"[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Diameter[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]93.5cm x 85 cm[/FONT]
Assembled Weight12 lbs.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]F/D[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif].5[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Offset Angle[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]24.62 degrees[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Surface Accuracy[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif].+/- 0.01 deg."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Elevation Range[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]0 - 90 deg.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Finish[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Textured Poly Powder Coat Color: Charcoal [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mount Type[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Universal - Roof or Wall with adjustable position tripod legs, 27" "J" post double ended for height or reach setting. 360 degree level adjustment.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Feed Support[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Universal 40mm / 23mm Clamp[/FONT]

apsinkus, SatAV & Pixl asked you earlier what transponder info you had entered, are you sure you have entered an active tp?

Please list it and we can verify activity, if you don't enter a hot tp you will get NOTHING.

I am using 11874 H 22000 to point, since that is where the channel I want resides at per "TheList!"

So any consensus on that satellite finder from Amazon?

Ah yes, I missed the dishpointer data that was posted, very good.

Yea, what he said!

As for the Amazon meter those can help and don't cost much. You will be somewhat blind in that all you see is a signal indication, but you don't know what you are pointed at. But when you find something just fire up the blind scan in the receiver, it will scan every possible freq and ch. that might be there. You then can identify what sat you are on and go East or West if the wrong one.

Also does anyone else have an opinion on the skew in the picture that looks left instead of right?

The satpointer says to do it looking from behind of the dish
Skew of LNB: 25.6°
arrowr.png

So I think I did it right, no?

The sat is at 97, and he's east of that. LNBF looks CCW to me. Should be good.
If that's the dish with 24.62° offset, and the satellite is at elevation 34.5°
The face of the dish should be tipped back, from vertical, very close to 10° (9.88)
In the picture, it looks to be vertical, if not forward slightly.

Skew looks like it is the correct direction to me.

That 11874 tp is not real strong on my setup. 11899 V 22000 looks to be much stronger. You might try entering the 11899 for aiming purposes, and switch to the 11874 once you find it, might make it easier.

The sat is at 97, and he's east of that. LNBF looks CCW to me. Should be good.
If that's the dish with 24.62° offset, and the satellite is at elevation 34.5°
The face of the dish should be tipped back, from vertical, very close to 10° (9.88)
In the picture, it looks to be vertical, if not forward slightly.

Yeh, what FatAir said.

I think I need to go to bed too, my math in the earlier post when I was figuring elevation/offset angle was a tad off. :rolleyes:

And apsinkus you are correct to not trust the elevation scale, they can be a few degrees off on these cheap dishes. Have to say that the scale on my dish (that is the same or similar to yours) is within a degree or so, though.

when they put the arms on the LNB arm they upgrade the scale accuracy, it is not perfect, but will be rather close. That is why I was saying it is a good one! I would take a dozen of those any day! If it is not warped when you assemble it, it should not warp even in high winds --( or when I took it out and put it back into the motor home) mine only warped when I tripped on it, it did not bend!

apsinkus: When nothing seems to be working or going right, I'm a fan of trying something different. Using dishpointer.com, I notice that Galaxy 25 at 93.1W should be visible to you right down that opening between the house in front of you and your own building. Just in case that house really is blocking your view of Galaxy 19, why not move your dish slightly to the left (i.e. a touch to the east) and try to receive Galaxy 25? A common full-time active transponder on 93.1W is Azteca on 12002 V 4349. TheList is a little out of date on this one. 12002 is where I've seen it lately.

By the way, old names for Galaxy 25 included IA6, T6, and G26. Your receiver may show those names instead of G25 for 93.1W.

And raise your dish in elevation a little too. Your dish is lower than mine and I'm over 2 degrees in latitude north of you. Even my dish is higher in elevation than yours is to hit the arc.

Last edited:
What is the elevation of 97W from your location? Hard to tell for sure from that pic but the dish looks like it is aiming very low, maybe 25-30 degrees?

And unless that dish is warped or damaged it should work fine, I am still using mine (.9m Azure Shine purchased from 3ABN for $50). Had that same TrackerII LNBF on it for a couple years too, it made a good combo and should work fine on 97W.

I've never had a CS6100, had several CS6000s, but I know they are quite different.
I seem to think the dish is aiming low too. He may also need to push in the LNB maybe half way forward toward the dish.

Unless I missed it, what is the LNB L.O setting you set on the receiver?

Last edited:
Or even a little further east to G17 @91W, 12010 V 11573, should be right down the opening.
If you get that digital level,{I love mine} place a straight edge vertical across the face of the dish and measure the angle.
Calculating the dish face angle = 90 minus elevation(sat) plus (dish)offset
90 - 34.55 (Elevation of G19 at your location) + 24.67(Dish "offset") = 80.12 Dish face angle, adjust the dish to this angle for G 19.
For G25 or G17, get their elevations from dishpointer and calculate the dish face angle that's required.
NOTE: This assumes the angles measure for reference horizontal as 0°, vertical as 90°, and the offset of your dish is actually 24.67°.
But should be close, within a few degrees. Once you do get it locked on the satellite. Something I've done is, measure my dishes face angle, and calculated the offset for reference later. Marked on the back of the dish. I like to have a second reference for the elevation. Elevation scale on the bracket and the actual offset angle. Good Luck, and hope to hear soon that you've got it locked in.

We have sold well over one hundred thousand Azure Shine 90cm dishes in the past few years...... I might have some suggestions to assist.

First a few observations.
A. The mast does not appear to be plumb and level. If the mast is not set plumb, all other angles will be incorrect! Nothing more frustrating than fighting with a mast that is not level.

B. The Dish appears to be aimed way too low.

C. The mast is not designed to be mounted using only the footer plate. The design is not strong enough to support the dish without the tripod support legs. You must use the tripod support legs.

D. You are definitely clearing the house in aiming for Galaxy 19. Do not try to aim for other satellites. Yes, it would be great exercise, but there is no need.

E. The LNBF skew setting appears to be correct. It is close enough to lock onto the signal if within 5 or 10 degrees of correct setting.

Here are a few install pointers.

1. Perform a string test! Stretch a string edge to edge horizontally and vertically. Do the strings lightly touch as they cross? If not, the dish is warped and it must be corrected before installing, or you are just wasting your time!

2. The lower LNBF arm elevation on your specific dish will measure approximately 6 degrees less than the satellite elevation angle. Set a digital level on the arm of the dish and adjust the dish elevation to be approximately 26.5 degrees.

3. Use Frequency Transponder Frequency - 12177 Polarity - Vertical, Symbol Rate - 23000. Make sure that the LNBF is set to Standard type with LO Frequency 10750.

4. Have a TV and the receiver right next to the dish so you can observe the Quality reading as you slowly pan the dish.

5. While watching the Signal Quality reading, SLOWLY pan the dish from the estimated satellite position 10 degrees to the east then SLOWLY 10 degrees to the west of the estimated satellite position. If the Signal Quality reading does not increase, raise the dish elevation 1 degree and repeat the slow pan to the east and the west. Repeat this process by raising the dish in one degree increments for up to 5 degrees above the suggested elevation and if necessary, 5 degrees below.

Last edited:
Brian, your directions really helped, especially using angle finder on the LNB arm. Though my mast was plumb, the scale on the antenna was at least 8 degrees off.

Now re. mast, is there a better solution for mounting them on Juliette type balcony, especially when I need to have it above the window line to avoid blocking sun for my neighbors?
Unfortunately landlord will not let me drill into walls. Right now I have a 6' pipe with that mount on top.

What about south ?

Maybe I am missing something but I didn't see anyone ask him if he knows where due south is. Azimuth doesn't do you any good if you don't know where 180 degrees (south) or 0 degrees (north) for that matter. If a program tells you the satellite is at 215 degrees from your location you need to know where 180 is, so you can move the dish from the reference point to the arc. Then go up and down in elevation looking for a signal. Everyone has him chasing the skew, the receiver, etc when I couldn't figure out how he knew where to look in the sky without any reference point.

Satman51,
Basically combination of using proper (read: not $1-store) compass I borrowed from my hiker friends and the angle finder was what got me the results. First I got it in general vicinity and then little wiggling got me the result.

Now here is a problem... I am already thinking about the positioner, now that I know how to find one with stationary. This stuff is addictive.

...I am already thinking about the positioner, now that I know how to find one with stationary...
Everybody comes to the same conclusion. If 97W is what you want, there's enough there to keep you occupied without a motor. Otherwise, I like installing a motor from Day 1 even though it is more difficult when first starting out. At least your effort will be rewarded with a whole bunch of stations on Ku. Your problem is that your line of sight is pretty restricted so a motor may not catch so much more anyway. Tell your landlord you will install two dishes if he lets you up on the roof: one for you and one for him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)