Galaxy 28 Ku band

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by SkySurfer80, Jul 10, 2019.

1. SkySurfer80

SkySurfer80 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Family

I am awaiting my new 39" dish but meanwhile scanning with my 76cm. A few years back I used to hit 89* Galaxy 28 for quite a few feeds, but for some reason I cant hit that sat even good enough to pull in the ASL channels. Is this just a hard bird to hit with a small dish? I am locked in the arc well enough to hit the nbc mux on 103 and the pbs feeds on 125 and am hitting the cnn feeds on 87 in the mid 80's quality wise so I just cant hit Galaxy 28 for some reason. Hopefully I can when I get my 39" dish cause I always loved the feeds I got on there.

spongella likes this.
  2. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb Dogs have owners, cats have staff Pub Member / Supporter

I find 89 to be a weak satellite. I can tune the LDS feeds on my 1.2m dish, but they aren't all that strong even on that dish.

There are occasional ABC/Hearst feeds on that satellite as well, but not that often.

N5XZS and spongella like this.
  3. spongella

spongella SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I use a 39 inch motorized dish and did a blind scan, got about a dozen TP's but no FTA. However I did a TP scan individually and found attached. I've seen these channels before though. Lyngsat has them as LSD Church. Also attached are scans of V and H TP's so there is activity.

Attached Files:

N5XZS and comfortably_numb like this.
  4. c-spand

c-spand SatelliteGuys Guru

Maybe more feeds will turn up.:bounce

5. SkySurfer80

I get lots of tps and once got the lds mux but very weak and now cant pull them in. It was showing 5pct quality on the Geosatpro 3500.

6. c-spand

oh wow, That Lds mux is also on 117w. Check www.satbeams the sun maybe right behind it creating havok. Once the sun passes should have signal.

N5XZS likes this.
  7. Titanium

Titanium AI6US Lifetime Supporter

July is the wrong time of the year for solar outages for satellite signals. The sun is far above the arc at this time of year.

A simple solar outage calculator for the Intelsat satellites:
    Sun Interference Calculator | MyIntelsat

8. c-spand

Yes not solar outages just more noise with the sun above or below alignment. I have notice this when i am tuning dish plus the other interference of side lobe activity during the day. Night time is great to tune the best too.

9. Titanium

Little to do with the sun alignment 20, 30, 40 or 50 degrees above the look angle of the dish, unless the dish is damaged or very poor design.

More likely that you are noticing the increased attenuation by the ionosphere and increased earth noise. This is more prevelant in daylight and summer season.

10. c-spand

Yes that is corect Ti. i am working with smaller equipment due to space. So when it comes to marginal signals i have to tune more in the evening to get what i can get for daytime viewing.

N5XZS and Titanium like this.
  11. N5XZS

N5XZS SatelliteGuys Pro

That Bird is little tricky from time to time. Yes BYU's feeds sometimes shows up same goes for Hearst's feed, which btw, owns KOAT-DT here in Albuquerque's TV market.:)

They have other sister stations provided by Hearst TV broadcasting company being fed on this bird.:)

12. comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb Dogs have owners, cats have staff Pub Member / Supporter

Yep, I sometimes see my local affiliate, KMBC, using this satellite for feeds.

N5XZS likes this.
  13. SkySurfer80

Well the Earth has been making alot of noise lately during the day between my signals can be in the 50's during the day and then high 70's at night. The ABC News feeds on 91* do that and so do the Infowars and even that test channel on the 95*. Dont even get me started on the PBS feeds! Those are in the 20's on some days then the same night in the low 60's! I thought it was the sun too.

14. Titanium

I doubt that these wild signal reception swings are the result of ionosphere attenuation or earth noise.

A varying satellite signal in heat/cooling cycles could also be caused by mechanical tolerances expanding/retracting in thermal shifts, aging components (drifting LO), adjacent satellite interference, marginal gain with reflector/feed, moisture (cable/connectors, switches). So many variables... start by isolating between the factors.

N5XZS, primestar31, norman881 and 2 others like this.
  15. c-spand

I will have maybe 5% swing between day and night. Skysurfer you may have to trace down whats causing that. Its to big of a change.

16. SkySurfer80

Maybe it is the geosat3500 receiver. This thing is definitely not an upgrade to the microhd as I thought it would be. After using it a month I think I am ready to buy another receiver. Only thing I can say for it is it can take a weak signal and make it watchable at 5 pct quality, but then again that 5 pct signal may really be 20 or more pct on another receiver.

c-spand likes this.
  17. kofi123

kofi123 SatelliteGuys Pro

There's a lot of VSAT and IP-over-Ku activity on this satellite since Network Innovations leases space here for their occasional use services.

spongella and comfortably_numb like this.
  18. c-spand

skysurfer i am not familar with the geosat stb. I have had the coolsat pansat and manhattan rc 1978 now i am happy with the osmio4k. Wanted to upgrade for future signals yet it has option to process 4k to 1080 so i can get all signals on my 1080 tv. But as long as your happy with that no worries. Have fun.

19. SkySurfer80

Thanks bud. The geosat has its ups and downs.

c-spand likes this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...