Galaxy16 to launch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
here's a question...why when they replace the satellite, they call it ___ R? (yes I do know what the R means)
why don't they call it the new satellite name? Or is that so the people with old C-Band receivers don't have to think of what it was and try to figure ouot the conversion?

On the same subject, why isn't G12 (at 125) known as G5R? As long as I can remember, its always been G5

How long does the major FTA birds have till they run out of fuel? Also, what type of fuel is this? Battery or what? At any rate, if anyone has it, a good link on how satellites work would be agreeable.

G16, It's been launched!

In progress,TP = 12070, SR = 13235, V-PID = 308, A-PID = 256, PCRPID = 8190

Al

Edit: Polarity = Horizontal, forgot Sorry.....

Last edited:
While watching this launch, I found some of the films they showed about the companies involved in building and launching and maintaining this satellite, during the waiting process of the different stages of rockets and the spacecraft (satellite) separation from the rockets and finally acquiring acquisition signal from and turning the spacecraft over to Loral to be quite interesting. For example, this is the last satellite to be launched under PanAmSat, it is the 11th in the fleet over the US of 24 in the fleet covering the World. I didn't here a name to be used (other than PanAmSat) for the company after this satellite. I did hear them mention a guy who was instrumental in starting PanAmSat, who was working for Intelsat at the time PanAmSat came about. If I gathered some of the info correctly, It appears PanAmSat and Intelsat will be merging, if they haven't already. Therefore, I assume from this point on they will be Intelsat satellites when they are launched. They also said SeaLaunch will be launching Galaxy18 in 2007, don't recall where it is going, if they even said where?

Al

It took an hour, that seemed slow to me, but of course it's going much higher than the shuttle flights, so I guess that would compensate for what seemed to me to be slowness. It's still Amazing, like you said.

Al

I also watched a little bit of the launch earlier this morning. Nice videos! I remember reading somewhere else a month ago that the companies where merging. I wonder where Galaxy 18 is going?

Too bad this was an replacement bird as I would have like to see some more feeds ;) G4R is already kicking out some nice stuff though:

Attachments

• g4r_1.JPG
    g4r_1.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 131
  • g4r_2.JPG
    g4r_2.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 106
One of the Sea Launch people said this was Sea Launch's 24th launch and there 4th launch for PanAmSat. Since Sea Launch is lauching Galaxy18 in 2007, I can't help but wonder, who is launching Galaxy 17 and when?

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts