Gave up on D

daily huh?

I did one double reboot and its worked fine now for a week or so...yeah there were a few days where it hiccuped when you 1st turned it on. Big whoop. After that it worked fine

I have an HR24 and it used to be bearable (still quite a bit slower that a 722), but then they sent down new software that completely f'd it up and made it dead slow with blank screens on channel changes. I should not have to perform daily "triple reboots" just to make it function somewhat correctly.
:eek:
Wow I guess the hand of god missed your HR24 too. :rolleyes::eek:

Never had DirecTV, but the inlaws, who have it, never had a problem with their HR-24. I like getting into the TV dispute with him. He rubs the RSNs in my face, along with Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings (I wouldn't pay for Sunday Ticket and could get Extra Innings on cable) But I did blow him away with the functionality of the 722 (now have a 722k). He was also annoyed (before DirecTV updated HBO) to see that Dish had all of them, and was p-ed off when I was watching a movie on Epix and he realized that he couldn't go home and finish it. But I still will never get him to switch and he more than likely will never get me to either.

Never had DirecTV, but the inlaws, who have it, never had a problem with their HR-24. I like getting into the TV dispute with him. He rubs the RSNs in my face, along with Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings (I wouldn't pay for Sunday Ticket and could get Extra Innings on cable) But I did blow him away with the functionality of the 722 (now have a 722k). He was also annoyed (before DirecTV updated HBO) to see that Dish had all of them, and was p-ed off when I was watching a movie on Epix and he realized that he couldn't go home and finish it. But I still will never get him to switch and he more than likely will never get me to either.

If he is a big sports fan there is your answer.

daily huh?

I did one double reboot and its worked fine now for a week or so...yeah there were a few days where it hiccuped when you 1st turned it on. Big whoop. After that it worked fine

Glad to hear you aren't having issues. But reading over at the 'other site', there are the same complaints that were there a few years back about the same issue that has always been there it seems, pig-slow remote response! There simply is no reason for this to still be an issue after this many years. It is the single issue that caused me to leave DirecTV.

My HR24-100 takes about 5 -10 seconds to display video after a channel change with the latest firmware. Guide scrolling is not smooth but goes fast for a second then pauses then scrolls again. If that is acceptable or normal then I guess I expect too much. The HRs are badly underpowered and the chimpanzees at DIRECTV writing the firmware for them don't help.

SaltiDawg said:
Well there it is. No sense discussing it any more. lol :rolleyes:

We can discuss it uf you like, but if you want to dispute facts I dont see the point. List of difference and similarities could be helpful.

Sent from my Samgung GALAXY tablet using SatelliteGuys

We can discuss it uf you like, but if you want to dispute facts I dont see the point. List of difference and similarities could be helpful.

Listen, I have no desire to "discuss" it with you. When you have a mistaken opinion that you repeatedly describe as "facts" and "it is not a matter of opinion" it is a waste of time to attempt to reason with such an individual... particularly when it is simply a "fact" that Dish with all their quirks and problems has the best designed DVR available in this country... and that "is not a matter of opinion." :rolleyes:

Listen, I have no desire to "discuss" it with you. When you have a mistaken opinion that you repeatedly describe as "facts" and "it is not a matter of opinion" it is a waste of time to attempt to reason with such an individual... particularly when it is simply a "fact" that Dish with all their quirks and problems has the best designed DVR available in this country... and that "is not a matter of opinion." :rolleyes:

And to those of us who are very long time subscribers, what a change of events concerning receivers. Their simple receivers were good, but starting with the Dishplayer, and then the early DVR's there were many problems, and Direct had better receivers, like the TIVO's of the time. Then, as SaltiDawg quite correctly says, despite their quirks and some other problems, has managed to zoom past most all others when it comes to receivers. "If only Direct TV or Charter had your receiver" has been said many times by friends after using mine. (But loving sports they won't be switching.... :) ) One didn't believe me that I could use an antenna, get channels from Mass, and record them.

Just responding for clarification purposes

I think you are confusing two different issues. To state which one prefers and why is a matter of opinion; I've never stated otherwise. To state which is faster (Dish) and which has more features (Direct) is a matter of fact, not opinion. These can easily be measured.

Remember what you are disputing is this quote by me:
Even their older DVRs can do many things and probably more total things than the Dish DVRs, even if they are slower, particularly with networking
This is not an opinion statement. It is a statement of fact that can easily be measured by listing features and measuring speed

To put is simply. If I asked which DVR has more features and can do more things, particularly when it comes to networking. The answer to that question is a matter of fact, not opinion. If I ask which features one prefers and which DVR suits the needs for that person based on those preferred features, that is a matter of opinion, not fact. If I asked which DVR is faster, the answer to that too is a matter of fact, not opinion. If I asked if speed was important, that is a matter of opinion, not fact

Last edited:

Remember what you are disputing is this quote by me: This is not an opinion statement. It is a statement of fact that can easily be measured by listing features and measuring speed

To put is simply. If I asked which DVR has more features and can do more things, particularly when it comes to networking. The answer to that question is a matter of fact, not opinion...

And of course, this would be not true. Unless we, again, accept what you say as truth. lol

Last edited:
mdram said:
or ask anyone that has used both

I have used both and for me it boils down to one factor. I had a HR24-500 and now have a 722K. Okay are you ready for what the deciding factor is????? Response! I don't know how many times the HR would not respond to my remote. Somedays it would be great other days I literarily wanted to pull my hair out just trying to change the channel number. On the other hand the 722 is ALWAYS responsive for me. I push a button on the remote and it responds. So when people talk about having more options or this or that I really don't care if I know it's sluggish or can't do the simple things right!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have used both and for me it boils down to one factor. I had a HR24-500 and now have a 722K. Okay are you ready for what the deciding factor is????? Response! I don't know how many times the HR would not respond to my remote. Somedays it would be great other days I literarily wanted to pull my hair out just trying to change the channel number. On the other hand the 722 is ALWAYS responsive for me. I push a button on the remote and it responds. So when people talk about having more options or this or that I really don't care if I know it's sluggish or can't do the simple things right!

my hr is slower then my 622 was, but since i can do things with fewer buttons, it ends up being a wash, or faster
imho ymmv

Can your HR do more things in total than your VIP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)