Gbox positioner help needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

starman345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
Well, I received my new Gbox positioner, its worth mentioning that I ordered it from Sadoun on Sunday afternoon and it was delivered on Wednesday afternoon, not bad for hafway across the US. Thanks Sadoun for your speedy service.
I'm going to be using my Coolsat 5000 to blind scan cband signals so I am wondering how the Coolsat and Gbox will interact so one knows what the other is doing. I understand I have to find a satellite, and store it with the Gbox, what I am not clear on is how does the Coolsat know where that position is? Do I assign a position number in the Coolsat with diseqc1.2 and also store that same number in the Gbox? I read the manual several times but how to do this is not clear to me. Can anyone explain how this works?

Well, I received my new Gbox positioner, its worth mentioning that I ordered it from Sadoun on Sunday afternoon and it was delivered on Wednesday afternoon, not bad for hafway across the US. Thanks Sadoun for your speedy service.
I'm going to be using my Coolsat 5000 to blind scan cband signals so I am wondering how the Coolsat and Gbox will interact so one knows what the other is doing. I understand I have to find a satellite, and store it with the Gbox, what I am not clear on is how does the Coolsat know where that position is? Do I assign a position number in the Coolsat with diseqc1.2 and also store that same number in the Gbox? I read the manual several times but how to do this is not clear to me. Can anyone explain how this works?
Hey There!

I don't remember clearly how the Coolsat works, but make sure you have the actuator wires hooked up correctly and the dish moves East when you tell it to and West when you tell it to.

I always start in the center of my arc and assign a position number inside the receiver of around 25 or so depending on how many numbers the receiver allows for.

Choose a good strong transponder on that satellite and fine tune it in either using the receiver, or the remote on the GBox. I find that I can get a little extra fine-tuning with the GBox remote.

Once you have it, save the position in the receiver which will auto-magically save it in the GBox. Then move to the next satellite using the procedure above and assign it the next number. If West use 26 and save it.

Repeat for all satellites in your arc.

Nothing to it. :)

Once you have it, save the position in the receiver which will auto-magically save it in the GBox. Then move to the next satellite using the procedure above and assign it the next number. If West use 26 and save it.

Repeat for all satellites in your arc.

Nothing to it. :)

Auto-magically!!, that was what I was looking for:eureka....the missing link. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

make sure you have the actuator wires hooked up correctly and the dish moves East when you tell it to and West when you tell it to.

That happened to me on my V-box LOL

This little box is pretty slick! I hooked everything up, it is simple, and started looking for satellites. I started out on a known satellite so it was easy to nudge the dish east and west to find the rest of the birds. It works great with the Coolsat 5000, as Linuxman said above, store the satellite location in the Coolsat and it is stored in the Gbox as well. What I really like is the ability to re-name the satellite to anythiing I like. The box comes with 60 satellites already in its list and they are recent which is a plus. It seems very accurate and moves the actuator faster than the analog c-band IRD I was using. This was a good purchase, no regrets.

From the manual:
Input any name you like, up to 6 letters
1. Move the actuator or H-H mount with the left and right buttons on the remtoe to the right position.
2. Press the name button for 2 seconds: the LED will flash the pre-stored satellite name that is built intoe the GBox.
3. Press the up arrow key and choose the first blank "______". After 2 seconds the leftmost side of the "_" will flash. You can move the cursor by pressing the left/right buttons. Then type in the name using the number buttons (1-9).
4. Press the OK key. The name that you choose will will flash three times, then the assigned position will show the name.
5. Thirty empty positions are available for you to name. A name you input will show a dot, ".", in the rightmost side of the LED display when you choose it, but the 60 pre-stored names will not show a dot. You can easily see which names are pre-stored or named by you.

Also from the manual:
Other functions of the "Name" button
The name button can alternately display the name, stored number and position count. If you tap the name button once, the display will switch from name to position count. After 2 seconds, the display reverts to name.

If you tap the name button once, the display will switch from name to position count.
After 2 seconds, the display reverts to name.

The second part is a little confusing to me, but that's just me.

The first part is pretty straight forward.

Hope that helps!

DvbDream is now controlling the 10 footer via raw diseqc commands, no problem as the Gbox understands diseqc1.2. The more I use this little box, the more I like it. I am having a problem with my SG-2100, although I use Usals, I do have a few positions stored in the motor itself and sometimes when I hit one of those position commands with the Gbox both my c and ku dishes turn. I tried to re-set the motor this afternoon to wipe out those positions without success. Its actually a DXM-7000 branded as a SG-2100 What a pain, hold both buttons in while cutting power, then power up....you need about 4 hands! Next motor will be "paper clip" compatible.

The more I use this little box, the more I like it.
Glad you are getting everything squared away with the GBox. It is a nice box!

Yes the newer SG-2100s don't have the paper clip to reset them, but SatelliteAV has a model that does. You might think of them for the next one.

Thanks for the info on SatelliteAV, I"ve bought from them before and will again. Didn't know about their GS120 having the paper clip hole, thats the one I will be getting....sooner than later, spring is coming along with good weather for dish playing:)
BTW, I was enjoying your pictures from your Birdview adventure, very nice, but I must say it is discouraging for those of us still up to our armpits in snow to see those pictures of you guys in short sleeves, with green grass under your feet. You realize its been about four months since I've seen anything but snow on my lawn?:D

BTW, I was enjoying your pictures from your Birdview adventure, very nice, but I must say it is discouraging for those of us still up to our armpits in snow to see those pictures of you guys in short sleeves, with green grass under your feet. You realize its been about four months since I've seen anything but snow on my lawn?
Well don't feel too bad, it isn't exactly spring here yet either.

There was 11 inches of snow that fell in St. Louis on Tuesday. We got about 2 inches here. There isn't any green grass growing yet either.

But Spring is coming, and I will be glad. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts