GBOX wiring question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chum1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
pa
I am using the old ribbon cable to wire a GBOX. The large wires are the motor, but which other 2 go into the sensor outlets? I have a green, orange, and brown wire, and another set of small red and white wires. Thanks for the help! :)

Easiest and quickest way to find the correct wires is to open the actuator and look for which two are connected to the reed switch. If you have an old actuator, it may have a Hall effect transistor sensor, which uses three wires. It will have to be changed out for a reed switch. Ground the shield wire (uninsulated) at the actuator end only.
The other cable with a white, black and red wire are for the servo on a polarotor feed.

I am using the old ribbon cable to wire a GBOX. The large wires are the motor, but which other 2 go into the sensor outlets? I have a green, orange, and brown wire, and another set of small red and white wires. Thanks for the help! :)

You'll have to open up the actuator cover to find out which wires are laid down on the reed sensor (pulse counter) terminals and then connect those colors to the sensor input of the Gbox.

Chum,

Are you still working on this? What make/model is the actuator? Rather than changing out the sensor you may be able to get it working by supplying +5 volts to the third wire. I used an old cell phone charger for my Von Weise.

Jim

Hehe, well I tried to see but the weight of the ladder with me on it bent the pole over, but the actuator is old from 1995. Is there a reason they installed the dish so high? In the spring I would like to either use the old dish and replace some parts, or use a 4 footer instead. The old dish was just too high.

Hehe, well I tried to see but the weight of the ladder with me on it bent the pole over, but the actuator is old from 1995. Is there a reason they installed the dish so high? In the spring I would like to either use the old dish and replace some parts, or use a 4 footer instead. The old dish was just too high.

Sounds like they didn't know what they were doing when they installed the dish. They didn't use enough concrete.

The actuator is a Superjack 2x HB model. I purchased a new receiver, GBOX, and DMX741. A buddy is going to fix the mast in the spring. Too much ice outside now. Can a new actuator be wired with the ribbon cable?

Thanks for the answer Fat Air your info has already helped me alot. About the pole I have a clear line of sight to the south. Would it be ok to have the pole lowered? Its about 10 feet high out of the ground, and I cant safely work on it.

If there are no obstructions from the SE to SW that the dish would be pointed into, as the dish moves about the polar axis. Go to dishpointer.com and put in your location, then select sats to get the azimuth. Zoom in and see if the line goes through a possible obstruction, Also has a tool on the page you can move along the line and it calculates the height where an obstruction would occur. Most BUD's were/are commonly installed on a 4 to 6 ft pole. Enough height to keep the edge of the dish off the ground, and out of the snow, when moved all the way east or west. Remove actuator, let dish down all the way, measure from ground to lip. if more than average snow depth(inches), there's what you can cut off the pipe. (18 inches is a common snow depth around my BUD) I hope that made sense. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts