General help required on a communal satellite dish....

JPR

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Scotland
Scenario is that there are five houses with a communal satellite dish. Three of these houses have Sky and the other two use free view/ free sat etc. There was a disruption to power supply at one of the properties with Sky and the two properties without Sky had no signal at TV. Was this a coincidence or did the lack of power cause this? I'm not even sure whether you need a power supply for a dish.. Any help would be appreciated... :)

I'm not even sure if I'm on the correct site for help... Apologies in advance, any help would be appreciated

The dish LNB needs power and usually gets it from one of the receivers connected to the LNB on the dish, or with a power inserter at a switch

Therefore is it feasible that one of the houses 'controls' the power supply and if their supply is interrupted the signal to the two affected houses would be lost? In addition to this does this mean that this house is paying for the electricity to power the dish? I'm not very technical... You may have figured this out :)

Last edited:
Therefore is it feasible that one of the houses 'controls' the power supply and if their supply is interrupted the signal to the two affected houses would be lost? In addition to this does this mean that this house is paying for the electricity to power the dish? I'm not very technical... You may have figured this out :)

A lot depends on the specific setup. Realize, folks on this particular forum are familiar with the systems for Dish (and less so for other sat companies). If it were, for example, Dish, it would depends on what is downstream from the antenna. For large installations, a lot of Dish installs have a DPP44 switch (or several in series). Each DPP44 has a line that runs to a receiver (line 1) that has to have a power inserter in the line. It's a small-ish (4"x4" or so, give or take), box where the coax passes through, with a 120V power cable coming off, goes through a transformer (??) device, much like you see on a power line to a laptop, where it then goes to a 120V power outlet. Example shown here:

https://ftaelectronics.ca/store/dis...us-dpp-44-multi-switch-multiswitch-dpp44.html

I know for Dish, if the power is out on the power inserter, everybody on that switch can lose signal.

You really should be asking this question on an English or European satellite. Scotland is not local for us and systems are different from USA.

The point is. Without specific details on the hardware involved, no assumptions can be made beyond those that come from the fact that you lost signal, and one of the homes participating is without power.

That seems to indicate that things are wired such that a receiver in that home or equipment attached to and powered by that home were providing power to the LNB. But without knowing the specific equipment and wiring layout, that's the best you get.

Can a loss of power in a home cause others connected to the same DBS dish to loose signal? YES.
Must loss of power in a home cause others connected to the same DBS dish to loose signal? NO.

You might try to get power to a receiver/s in that home without power via an extension cord to see it that fixes the issue....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)