General Instrument HDD-1000 User Manual?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
I just purchased a General Instrument HDD-1000 HD decoder off fleabay. I got it cheeeeeap. I figure at less than $33 delivered, it's not much of a risk. I've read that not all HD-1000s have ASI in (some have HSI in). The best I could tell from the low-res pics, this one looks like it has ASI... I can hope, I'll find out soon enough.

However, I've searched high & low for an online manual, but no luck. Do any of you guys have one that could be uploaded here? I've already looked in the "FTA Manuals" area. That's where I got my DSR-4500X manual from, but no HDD-1000.

I know that eurosport84 and others have (or have had) this unit. I'm hoping one of you will have a pdf of the manual. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Iv'e got one (hdd1000)
I've seen two types, one that looks half of the size of mine with a Motorola badge. And of coarse the full size General Insterments one

The one I have here has Hsi and ASI inputs....

Believe me I don't think the manual would say much, cause there is nothing as far as buttons or switches just plug in go...

There was a Motorola hdd 1100 on ebay that went for 77 bucks or so, I wanted that one because it had a Display and some arrow buttons.. But I got out-bid

I still have mine, that decoder and the DTE-7150 have a home here for good! :) Mine has ASI and HSI inputs, but I have no manual either. Pretty much like gardo403 said though... plug in & go. ASI out from my DTE-7150 to the ASI in on the 1000. Component out to the TV, and the audio will come straight from your receiver, not the HDD-1000. When DCII C-band HD masters are in the clear on this system, nothing else comes close to the quality... absolutely stunning! -Good score, Anony55, you'll like it.

I still have mine, that decoder and the DTE-7150 have a home here for good! :) Mine has ASI and HSI inputs, but I have no manual either. Pretty much like gardo403 said though... plug in & go. ASI out from my DTE-7150 to the ASI in on the 1000. Component out to the TV, and the audio will come straight from your receiver, not the HDD-1000. When DCII C-band HD masters are in the clear on this system, nothing else comes close to the quality... absolutely stunning! -Good score, Anony55, you'll like it.

You have my dream set up Euro. :D Someday. Hey I thought all those pizza heads say their HD was the best :eek: Ya right... LOL.

I have one running off a DSR-920

It also works with my
CDVB5110G

...There was a Motorola hdd 1100 on ebay that went for 77 bucks or so, I wanted that one because it had a Display and some arrow buttons.. But I got out-bid

ROTFL, So did I!! I had the bid on that one until under a minute. That one had a closing time that was in the evening... which means I was on a 28k dial-up connection & couldn't move fast enough to do anything about it. Had that one had an ending time time during the day when I have access to DSL, it wouldn't have sold for $77, lol. I guess that's just a good lesson about going ahead & placing a max bid instead of just the next bid up... rookie mistake on my part.

I would have prefered the 1100 to the 1000 because it's my understanding that it has analog SD out, as well as HD. My main TV is still an SD-CRT. So I'll have to play with the 1000 on one of the other TVs in the house.

My SD-CRT has component in... but it's just 480i. That's kinda why I was looking for a manual, to see if there was any "down-converting" settings that would allow it to do 480i. I figured it was a long shot, but wanted to check it out anyway.

I did find some FP "mainstream" HD channels near the middle of the arc. I'll most likely test 'em out on the HDTV mounted on the wall in front of the treadmill.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

...ASI out from my DTE-7150 to the ASI in on the 1000...

Speaking of ASI out to in... what kind of cable are you using for that? The ASI connections are BNC. I have a ton of BNC to RCA adapters. That's what I'm using for the composite video from my 4500X to my A/V receiver. Would a standard composite cable be good enough for ASI?

I've also seen where you can crimp on BNC connectors to RG6. Would that be better? I have what I need if a composite cable is good enough... but I don't have the crimp on BNC connectors for RG6.

Cheers

Speaking of ASI out to in... what kind of cable are you using for that? The ASI connections are BNC. I have a ton of BNC to RCA adapters. That's what I'm using for the composite video from my 4500X to my A/V receiver. Would a standard composite cable be good enough for ASI?

I've also seen where you can crimp on BNC connectors to RG6. Would that be better? I have what I need if a composite cable is good enough... but I don't have the crimp on BNC connectors for RG6.

Cheers

I just got a 6 foot video cable with BNC ends at my local Rat Shack. (He's an independent dealer and still has good stuff there including FTA stuff) :) If you have adapters, the composite cable will work fine.

...If you have adapters, the composite cable will work fine.

Thanks, I'll go that way then. I just checked, and it looks like the unit is shipping today. I should have it early next week. I just hope the HD channels I found with the 4500X stay FP long enough to do a little testing with this unit. If not, I guess I could test it with the Nebraska stuff on G-28/C. But the other stuff is a lot more exciting, lol.

Cheers

It came in today, and it's pretty much time to go home & play. Now that I've seen it in person, I'm starting to get a little excited about it.

First, it does have ASI in (w00t). Also, in addition to the component outputs, it has a couple of single video outputs labeled "Main" and "Monitor". I'm hoping that means that I can use it on my SD-CRT after all... we'll see tonight. Seeing this thing in person is better than the low-res pics on the Flea, lol. In person, I can actually read the connection labels.

As of last night, the channels that I want to test were still FP. So unless that changed today, I'm gonna have some serious fun tonight. That is, as long as the unit actually functions (fingers crossed).

Cheers

It came in today, and it's pretty much time to go home & play. Now that I've seen it in person, I'm starting to get a little excited about it.

First, it does have ASI in (w00t). Also, in addition to the component outputs, it has a couple of single video outputs labeled "Main" and "Monitor". I'm hoping that means that I can use it on my SD-CRT after all... we'll see tonight. Seeing this thing in person is better than the low-res pics on the Flea, lol. In person, I can actually read the connection labels.

As of last night, the channels that I want to test were still FP. So unless that changed today, I'm gonna have some serious fun tonight. That is, as long as the unit actually functions (fingers crossed).

Cheers
Awesome! You got the same one I have. I forgot about those composite outputs since I have no use for them. Have fun with it! :D:up

...as long as the unit actually functions (fingers crossed)...

Well, I'm not so sure the unit is in working order. I just get a dark snowy picture. When I hooked it up & plugged it in, I could hear a click once in a while. When it clicks, the dark snowy pic changes to a completely black pic. Then it clicks again just a few seconds later & the dark snow comes back. This cycle is repeated every 10 to 15 seconds or so.

I've had experience with clicking receivers before, which always meant a bad power supply. So I removed the top, and did a little studying. The power supply is well labeled, so testing was easy. This thing has a lot of different voltages coming from it (1.2, 3.3, 5.0, 9.0 & 12.0). I tested every line coming from the PS with a meter, and it appears to be functioning properly.

This was a little discouraging, because I figured I had a lot better shot at repairing the power supply than any other board. I did inspect the other boards for burn marks or bulging caps, but it all looked brand new. Of course, some of the boards are stacked, so it's hard to get a real good visual on some areas.

With the top off, I plugged it back in. I wasn't feeding the ASI in this time. The clicks were the same as before. I tracked the clicks to the relay for the alarm (the one right by the external alarm connections).

That made me wonder if the alarm (clicks) are normal when ever there's no stream coming in on the ASI connection. So I hooked it back up & used a different and shorter cable this time. I also confirmed in the 4500X menu that ASI out was turned on. Still no joy.

I was wondering if one of you could test to see if you hear the alarm relay clicking when ever there's no stream present? I'm not 100% sure that this unit is bad. I can always try one of my other 4500Xs as well, I have 2 more of those. If one of you would be willing to test that, it might help me determine the condition of mine. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

my relay clicks like you described... when the stream drops and if the signal is to low....

do you get the splash screen when the unit is first powered up?

The HDD-1000 I have will click until it gets a signal Thur the ASI or HSI.

Keep in mind that it will only process HD and not SD.

QVC HD on C3 worked great last time i tried.

...do you get the splash screen when the unit is first powered up?

I'm guessing that the absence of a splash screen indicates a problem. I didn't see one. But then, I may not have had the TV set to the proper input when I first plugged in the HDD-1000. I'll check that tonight.

...Keep in mind that it will only process HD and not SD...

Yes, I was on an [FP] HD stream. I was even listening to the audio from the HD channel (directly from the 4500x). But calling it by name is frowned upon here. ;)

...QVC HD on C3 worked great last time i tried.

I may try that one too, just to make sure.

Thanks to both of you for the replies about the relay clicking. Based on what you guys have told me, I'm thinking that if (big if) I have a properly displayed splash screen, then the unit is probably OK & the fault lies in feeding the ASI in. If I don't have a properly displayed splash screen, then the unit is probably faulty.

BTW, just in case it helps... I tried both the composite out connections to my SD-CRT, and the component out to an HDTV.

Cheers

The HDD-1000 I have will click until it gets a signal Thur the ASI or HSI.

Keep in mind that it will only process HD and not SD.

QVC HD on C3 worked great last time i tried.

Exactly. As the others have said, it will click until it gets a steady ASI stream from the receiver. It's probably fine. The GI start-up screen only shows for a second or two, so be sure you're monitoring it's output at the exact time you power it up.

I get no start-up screen... confirmed. I did notice that when I provide it an ASI stream, that the alarm relay clicks much less & longer times in between. In fact, at one point, it went several minutes without triggering the alarm relay. So providing it an ASI stream certainly has some affect.

But unfortunately, it looks like the unit is defective. I'm glad I didn't pay much for it, lol. I wonder if ATS repairs these units. I know it would drive up my costs if they do, probably to a point of being more $$$ than just buying another one. But they're pretty hard to find in the first place. So a repair may be worth it. I think I'll call ATS & ask.

Cheers

I'd keep your eye's peeled for another one. I wouldn't toss it out.. there are lots of good parts in that thing. In fact my power supply in my hdd 1000 make a buzzing / high picted noise. so mine will most-likely die... Keep in mind these were run 24/7 /360 for probably a decade or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts