OTHER Generic Dvb-s2 firmware

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Baby L

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Idaho USA
Good morning,
I have a generic Dvb-s2 receiver, that may have been misrepresented by the seller. It clearly said in the add,
Dolby audio, which is why I bought it. It turns out, to get the Dolby audio, I need a firmware update. I* have no clue of the manufacturer. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? To be very clear, I am not interested, in any way, of hacking anything, I would just like to be able to run my full signal, into our bedroom tv. i got an HDMI splitter, that said it supports uncompressed audio, but apparently it does not. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Most likely you will be stuck with no audio.
However, give us as much info about the box as you can.
Include a link to where you bought it also.

Reactions: Baby L
Most likely you will be stuck with no audio.
However, give us as much info about the box as you can.
Include a link to where you bought it also.
Okay, I bought it on Ebay, in Oct. The seller no longer sells them, so I can't send a link to them. However, I found another seller, who has the exact same units, except of course, their add says Dolby is optional. Also, this seller is in China, and the sell I ordered from, was supposedly from CA.

Here is all the info I can find for the system

Model ID : 3, Ver:6

sw ver : 1.01 r0 trunk

Date : Jul 23 2015, 16:29:26

Description : av2018_s2

In the only audio selection area I can find, the only choices are Raw, (Which works through the HDMI to one tv at a time) And LPCM (Which does not work at all that I know of)
Thank you for responding.
P.S. I was not able to reply with the link to the other unit, due to an error that said spam like activity

What brand and model is printed on the receiver or the giftbox?

In raw mode, the AC3 audio is decoded by the connected device. I have never attempted to distribute raw AC3 to multiple devices, so I am grasping at a straw here....

Maybe the HDMI splitter doesn't support this audio mode?

What brand and model is printed on the receiver or the giftbox?

In raw mode, the AC3 audio is decoded by the connected device. I have never attempted to distribute raw AC3 to multiple devices, so I am grasping at a straw here....

Maybe the HDMI splitter doesn't support this audio mode?

There is no make or model printed anywhere on the receiver. Most of the current sellers, are now listing the same receiver, as unbranded. The splitter, says
  • Support compressed and uncompressed digital audio formats including DTS-HD , Dolby True HD and LPCM7.1 I thought uncompressed, would be raw, but either I am wrong, or it is also a bit misrepresented. We do have a 3D Bluray player, and hooking it to the splitter, everything, including 3D work fine. This leads me to think I was wrong about uncompressed, being the same as raw. We got our tv's and bluray when we were able to actually afford them. Since then, we are now on a fixed income, so we couldn't really afford to spend a lot on the receiver. At least it worked very well for NFL season. But, unless I can figure out something, I will have to try to come up with a real rec. If it would help, I would have no issue taking the cover off, to see if there is info inside, but only if someone here thinks there might be something inside that would help. Thank you all for the help you have already given.

Reactions: Titanium
Okay, I bought it on Ebay, in Oct. The seller no longer sells them, so I can't send a link to them. However, I found another seller, who has the exact same units, except of course, their add says Dolby is optional. Also, this seller is in China, and the sell I ordered from, was supposedly from CA.

Here is all the info I can find for the system

Model ID : 3, Ver:6

sw ver : 1.01 r0 trunk

Date : Jul 23 2015, 16:29:26

Description : av2018_s2

In the only audio selection area I can find, the only choices are Raw, (Which works through the HDMI to one tv at a time) And LPCM (Which does not work at all that I know of)
Thank you for responding.
P.S. I was not able to reply with the link to the other unit, due to an error that said spam like activity

Well, at least I have now found a link to the exact same unit, not the seller I was dumb enough to buy from, but the same unit any way.
I will try to post the link.
I can not post the link, due to an error, that says spam like activity, or inappropriate elements.

Try now.
You had less than 10 posts so the spam filter caught it.

The Aiorha link is to the common DVBS2 tuner used in many popular receivers.

Some firmware will use the same hardware and remote IR configuration on many OEM models. It is possible if you can open the STB find the SOC and tuner part numbers one of us will be able to recommend compatible firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

The Aiorha link is to the common DVBS2 tuner used in many popular receivers.

Some firmware will use the same hardware and remote IR configuration on many OEM models. It is possible if you can open the STB find the SOC and tuner part numbers one of us will be able to recommend compatible firmware update.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by SOC number. However, the AV2018 is the tuner I have. Also, here is a link, to the exact stb (that kinda makes me chuckle) With all of the specs. There is a fairly long number on the motherboard, and a small chip with a few numbers on it. I did not remove the heat sink from the main cpu.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...09639743.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.118.VNQ6Sg

SOC stands for System On a Chip, yeah the one under the Heat Sink. :)
I kinda thought that might be the one you have, I have seen it a lot lately.
It has the Novatek chip-set. Brian(Titanium ) is more familiar, with what will work exactly with it.

Word of warning, just because the case looks like yours doesn't mean the hardware inside is the same. These cases are generic and manufactured in bulk. OEM manufacturers select a case design and mate up their own choice of PCB / chipset / tuner to create a unique set top box. Remote controls are also generic and mass-produced.. The remote case, buttons and the labels may look identical, but the transmitted IR codes could be completely different and usually are.

If the manufacture or distributor didn't code a system ID code, you might be able to load firmware such as the Geosatpro HDVR1200, Manhattan DJ1997 or the X2 Premium version 1. The remote IR codes are the wildcard here. Once you install new firmware (if it takes) the remote control that was shipped and previously paired with the STB may no longer work because of IR code incompatibility and mapping.

I would recommend contacting your reseller one more time and requesting the link for the recommended firmware upgrade. It makes sense that if the reseller knew about the need for the upgrade, that they would be able to provide a link to the file.

Word of warning, just because the case looks like yours doesn't mean the hardware inside is the same. These cases are generic and manufactured in bulk. OEM manufacturers select a case design and mate up their own choice of PCB / chipset / tuner to create a unique set top box. Remote controls are also generic and mass-produced.. The remote case, buttons and the labels may look identical, but the transmitted IR codes could be completely different and usually are.

If the manufacture or distributor didn't code a system ID code, you might be able to load firmware such as the Geosatpro HDVR1200, Manhattan DJ1997 or the X2 Premium version 1. The remote IR codes are the wildcard here. Once you install new firmware (if it takes) the remote control that was shipped and previously paired with the STB may no longer work because of IR code incompatibility and mapping.

I would recommend contacting your reseller one more time and requesting the link for the recommended firmware upgrade. It makes sense that if the reseller knew about the need for the upgrade, that they would be able to provide a link to the file.

The mass produced cases, make sense, and is one of my main concerns.I figured as much, due to several looking the same, but with different capabilities. The link I posted, was the only one that had the same capabilities, as listed on the one I bought, other than the need for the update. I would think that would also be very sketchy, as since the seller left out that little detail, then the rest could have been misrepresented as well. The tuner is the same, that part I have seen. The only reason I didn't take off the heat sink, is not sure if I could make it stick again. All the sinks I have had experience with, have had some sort of lock down. If I was confident, in a way to make sure it would not come off on it's own, I have no problem taking it off to make sure it is the same chipset. If it is in fact the same chipset as advertised, would it have a better chance of working with one of the firmware you mentioned? Also, if I back up the original, and something goes wrong, is there a chance to reset it back to original? If one of them do work, and everything except the remote is good, would a remote for the one that I used, then work? and last but not least, are these firmware something I can even find? I have tried to contact the seller, several times, with no results, so I pretty much gave up there. I wish there was a way to revamp a coolsat 5000, but I already know that won't happen. No matter what happens, my future plan is to save a bit here, and a bit there, till I can afford a real STB, even if I can make this one work, then when I can afford a real one, the first place I will look for advice will be here! ;)

Loading a different firmware to anything can be very dangerous. You MUST make sure the firmware is compatible, or you will most likely "brick" your receiver. That word means exactly what it says. The receiver will effectively become a BRICK.

It may NOT be recoverable at that point. So be aware of that possibility.

Attempting a firmware upgrade via the USB port on a Novatek chipset either successfully transfers or fails. Very good Bootloader management. Have yet to brick a Novatek, but heading Primestar31's warning could prevent a first time firmware failure fiasco. :D

Attempting a firmware upgrade via the USB port on a Novatek chipset either successfully transfers or fails. Very good Bootloader management. Have yet to brick a Novatek, but heading Primestar31's warning could prevent a first time firmware failure fiasco. :D

Good morning, I am still a bit skittish, about removing the heatsink from the chipset, because I don't know if I can reattach it correctly, since there is no actual lock down. However, I did make a backup, via USB, then transferred it to my laptop. Then I opened it with wordpad, the first thing it said is,
Novatek dr78346e_v30 NT78336 Does this help at all, and is there any thing else I could look for in the backup file? O)f course, there is also a ton of code, so I would not want to try to put it all on here, but would not have an issue looking through all of it for any more info. And thank you ALL again for all your help. ;)

Loading a different firmware to anything can be very dangerous. You MUST make sure the firmware is compatible, or you will most likely "brick" your receiver. That word means exactly what it says. The receiver will effectively become a BRICK.

It may NOT be recoverable at that point. So be aware of that possibility.
Thank you very much for the warning, and I am taking it very seriously. And to be honest, unless I am positive I can find something compatible, I will leave things as they currently are. However, would it be cool to ask you a completely off topic question?

If you bought it on Ebay, and it advertised Dolby and fails to do it, you might get your $$ back, if you file a complaint with Ebay. The link you provided to Alibaba shows a box that says Dolby, but does not show AC-3 decode. I have no experience with a complaint to Alibaba, but you have nothing (more) to lose by making a complaint to them....
I bought STB shown below from Amazon last year when price was $39.95 and the unit has run for several months now, with no problem, except I had to do a firmware upgrade from the website to get the AC-3 Dolby audio. New firmware upgrade was put on website earlier this month, and I upgraded with it and had no problem.
X2 DVB-S2 M1 HD Mini Digital Satellite Receiver & USB PVR Media Player (FREE TO AIR)
Price now is showing as $74.95.

...would it be cool to ask you a completely off topic question?
Sure ask it.

Also if you try to upgrade via USB it will either take or fail. Now going via RS-232 is a whole different story.
Can you brick it via USB, most certainly, but the risk is lower.
Like Brian said, the remote compatibility might be the issue.

If you bought it on Ebay, and it advertised Dolby and fails to do it, you might get your $$ back, if you file a complaint with Ebay. The link you provided to Alibaba shows a box that says Dolby, but does not show AC-3 decode. I have no experience with a complaint to Alibaba, but you have nothing (more) to lose by making a complaint to them....
I bought STB shown below from Amazon last year when price was $39.95 and the unit has run for several months now, with no problem, except I had to do a firmware upgrade from the website to get the AC-3 Dolby audio. New firmware upgrade was put on website earlier this month, and I upgraded with it and had no problem.
X2 DVB-S2 M1 HD Mini Digital Satellite Receiver & USB PVR Media Player (FREE TO AIR)
Price now is showing as $74.95.
Yep! I was going to get one of these! I had it on the watch list, the next day, I put the money on my card, went to buy it, and the priced had jumped to $75! That was a drag! I do see one again, for the $39.95, if I can figure a way to come up with it, before another price jump, it could happen! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)