Genie and Frozen Picture

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bculp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Philadelphia
Hi all! This is my first thread on the site so bear with me with the details and questions.

In early September we upgraded to the Genie and also received the wireless kit so we could view DirecTV on Demand. No real issues overall. In mid-September, we were having issues with our television (Samsung 50" Plasma) where it was changing from Home Mode to Store Demo Mode. Samsung seemingly fixed that issue but ended up having to replace the mother board sometime in October. That is part of the backstory.

Over the last two weeks, we were having issues while watching live TV, the picture was freezing. We would reset the box and it would be fine for about 24 hours and go back to freezing. DirecTV came, assessed the situation, I showed them video of what was happening, and they felt it was the box/hard drive issue. All cables and wiring seemed to be fine based on their assessment. Got a new box, was installed on Friday, November 8. Today on November 9 around 11 AM, the picture froze again. I called the DirecTV technician directly who was actually with his supervisor. They recommended disconnecting the wireless kit as the supervisor mentioned he was having an issue with the picture freezing and discovered the wireless kit was/could have been the issue. I did all that, reset the box, and am just waiting over time to see if there are any more issues. My questions are:

1. Has anyone else seen or heard of this issue before?
2. If so, was is the most likely cause? Since it happened with the second box and it was recent, I feel as though it cant be a hard drive issue.
3. Can this be related to the replacement of the mother board in our TV?

The issues of the picture freezing happened after a receiver update on October 22 and about a week before that was when the motherboard was replaced. Note that the issue of picture freezing did not happen right away after the motherboard was replaced. Can a TV itself cause the picture to freeze?

Our Genie box is a 034 if that helps. The technician mentioned that if it happened again, he may have to try using component cables and/or just using brand new cable wiring

We have Verizon FIOS and according to the site you referenced, the download is 31.8 Mbps and 3.3 for upload.

Now of course if you are using Wireless for connecting back to the FiOS router, you may be in an area that has a lot of Wireless A/P congestion. You could try and do a wired Ethernet to the HR34 box, with a good DECA, vs. the CCK box that you are using. I have a HR44 and two C31 boxes, and have not had any issues of stuttering while watching OnDemand.

I have my HR44 directly connected to Ethernet, on a Trendnet 10/100/1000 5 port switch, that is wired back to my ATT UVerse 3800HGV-B RG. There is another 8 port switch between the RG and the 5 port that the HR44 is connected to, but I have never had any issues with my LAN. You could have a nicked wire in your ethernet line, or bad patch cord to the CCK for Wireless.

Really I personally do not like using wireless for sending video, due to it still has a problem with 720p/1080i/1080p streaming, because of the shear large amount of data that is being streamed between the wireless A/P and the box or router.

I had so many issues with streaming on our Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590 through wifi, I went strictly wired Ethernet on it, because of stuttering, rebuffering, stalling, downgrade to 480i, for streams that should be 720p or 1080i on Netflix & Amazon.

The issue is not with watching On Demand. It is with watching live TV so I am a bit confused with your reply. I have a wireless kit for On Demand for DirecTV because a phone line is nowhere near the receiver. But could this wireless kit affect the live TV picture feed freezing? Can the TV itself cause this?

Also it was not an issue that happened right away. It definitely never happened on our old box.

I highly doubt it's the tv. There are several reports similar to yours regarding the HR34, but I haven't seen any for the HR44. That makes me think it's not an lnb issue, but the Genie itself.

Well that makes me feel better. But now it happened with two Genies which is why the technician thought it could the wireless kit as he described it happening to him too. The box has been rebooted so we will see as after rebooting it, it would freeze about 12-24 hours after so tomorrow will probably be telling. But there have been reports of it happening with the HR34? The new box they sent me is the 34 as well

I would push for them to send you a HR44. One of my classmates had the HR34, and warned me before we got our install, about the constant rebooting and hicups with stuttering, etc, while watching live tv. She got the HR44 shortly before I got my install, and stated she has had no issues with her Genie setup.

As for not having phone nearby to the DVR for OnDeman, you really only need Ethernet to allow you to connect to OnDemand. I would ditch the whole wireless setup and go with the HR44, and a wired Ethernet connection from it back to your router or switch. One thing is if you do run wired Ethernet, get a LAN tester to check the connection from point A to Point B for the Cat-5e or Cat-6 from the router or switch, to where the DVR is.

I use this for testing LAN runs http://www.lowes.com/pd_111115-1270...uct_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=IDEAL

I only have six wired runs in my place, with three currently in use, since I no longer have U-Verse for tv, just for Internet. I am only using two switches for my LAN. A Netgear GS-108 downstairs, and a Trendnet TEG-S50g 5 port, that sits with my a/v equipment. I have the HR44, Blu-Ray player, and a Trendnet TEW-690AP Wireless-N Access Point on that switch.

After I found that I did not need the Deca for the HR44, I pulled it, and went with direct wired Ethernet to it. It also got rid of some problems that I was having, with slow downloads, problems staying connected back to the Direct servers for OnDemand, the HR-44 would come back and state no Internet connection at times. I have had none of those after redoing things.

Just start the process of elimination of what could be the culprit, starting with getting Direct to send you a HR44 vs. another refurb HR34, which is probably what you got when you sent back the other one. Now of course you can always try the hard drive check when booting up:

Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The above was from info over at the directv forums.

If the issue happens again I will definitely push for the 44. I saw the below before:
Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

But what am I looking for when I do this tesT?

No I mean if I run that test, I am looking for some sort of error? So if there is no bad file report, am I looking for anything else? Regardless do you think I should do this test anyway or if the freezing occurs again

No I mean if I run that test, I am looking for some sort of error? So if there is no bad file report, am I looking for anything else? Regardless do you think I should do this test anyway or if the freezing occurs again
Yes, at the end it will report if any errors were found, just like if you ran a sfc /scannow or chkdsk on your computer.

I know that some are just going out and purchasing a add-on eSata drive to bypass the built in drive, but it still does not get rid of the fact, that the unit is bad. Run the test over night, report back if it finds any problems. Take a photo of the error if any, so you can have that info to tell customer service, why you are requesting a new unit. I would try and press them to send you a HR44, not another HR34, by getting them to understand what you are getting problem wise, and the fact that you are not the only one that is having this issue with the HR34 series boxes.

BTW, what is the last three digits on the label where the card is in the box (ie hr34-200, or such).

I have an HR34 with one mini client attached to our bedroom TV. I had this issue frequently when we first had the system installed. I did a little trouble shooting myself, and I eliminated it (knock on wood) with a few steps. Initially it would happen more often when I was using the Mini Client. It would freeze, and I would have to go reset the HR34. Eventually I started leaving the HR34 powered completely on all the time, and it seemed to help the problem. Eventually I disconnected the Cinema Connection Kit (the wired version) and connected my HR34 directly to home home network since I already had an ethernet jack at its location. This back fed internet to our other receivers, and since then (again knock on wood) I've had not a single freeze up. So disconnecting the Wireless kit *might* help. Report back whether that corrects your problem or not, I am curious

Yes, at the end it will report if any errors were found, just like if you ran a sfc /scannow or chkdsk on your computer. I know that some are just going out and purchasing a add-on eSata drive to bypass the built in drive, but it still does not get rid of the fact, that the unit is bad. Run the test over night, report back if it finds any problems. Take a photo of the error if any, so you can have that info to tell customer service, why you are requesting a new unit. I would try and press them to send you a HR44, not another HR34, by getting them to understand what you are getting problem wise, and the fact that you are not the only one that is having this issue with the HR34 series boxes. BTW, what is the last three digits on the label where the card is in the box (ie hr34-200, or such).
if it's an HR34 it's a -700. It's the ONLY manufacturer of the older genie units

I have an HR34 with one mini client attached to our bedroom TV. I had this issue frequently when we first had the system installed. I did a little trouble shooting myself, and I eliminated it (knock on wood) with a few steps. Initially it would happen more often when I was using the Mini Client. It would freeze, and I would have to go reset the HR34. Eventually I started leaving the HR34 powered completely on all the time, and it seemed to help the problem. Eventually I disconnected the Cinema Connection Kit (the wired version) and connected my HR34 directly to home home network since I already had an ethernet jack at its location. This back fed internet to our other receivers, and since then (again knock on wood) I've had not a single freeze up. So disconnecting the Wireless kit *might* help. Report back whether that corrects your problem or not, I am curious

I'm gonna say your wireless connection may be the issue. The wifi is a horrible idea at this point unless it's a 44. For some reason the external wifi's have been nothing but a headache since the first day they hit the field. Some work flawless, others, well.. Not so flawless.

I'm gonna say your wireless connection may be the issue. The wifi is a horrible idea at this point unless it's a 44. For some reason the external wifi's have been nothing but a headache since the first day they hit the field. Some work flawless, others, well.. Not so flawless.
I think that a lot for some people can be congestion, also if they are near a military installation, airport, radio or tv station, or even just too many wireless access points in the near vicinity.

Now that we are seeing 5ghz A/P's becoming more common, even though the users are only using 2.4ghz, you still have that bandwidth being ate up by those radios which have no traffic on them. Even if we have the OP use inSSIDer, they would need to have a WiFi card in the computer, that is 5Ghz capable, to check for any congestion in their area on that frequency.

Update for all: The picture froze again at 10 AM EST with no wifi connection hooked up. And it is h34-700. Im going to attempt to run the test when rebooting but now it appears the wireless kit is not the issue. Can it just be the box? And definitely not the TV itself. Two boxes, same issue. I mean the odds of it happening again with the same box? They cant all be like that can they? And regardless of what the test shows, I am going to call for the 44.

What channel did it freeze on? In another thread a poster is saying it's a local channel issue on the broadcast side.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts