Genie here I come

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tex_T

Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
DFW
Hey All, first off howdy and I'm a newbie to the forum. Little bout me the last time I had Direct TV was when I spent about $600.00 bucks and me and a friend spent all day installing parts from a box, still have the ole receiver but as time moved on so did I. Had ATT uverse for about 9 years now and next weekend is my turn for DTV and the Genie. Like I said it's been a few years and please don't say bad ideal I may not ever here the end of it from the house hold. But any way my question is this, I own a travel trailer and one reason I went back to SAT is for the trailer, when I read up on direct tv's site they said I could use it in my trailer. Now I know it's not as simple as jerking it out of the house and using it in the trailer so could anyone give me some advice or guidance, like what kind of extra dish I would need to buy and can I or do I use the Genie box or would I have to buy another separate box, stuff like that.
Thanks, :rolleyes:

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You will need a Slimline dish with a swm type lnb. They can be the 3 or 5 lnb type depending upon your location and programming subscription. You will also need a power inserter. If you will have only the one receiver/dvr in the rv, then that's all you will need. Good luck with the Genie!

I would also recommend getting an HD in place of a client. This way you can take the HD and not the genie, it can be a bear moving that thing in and out and possible issues getting the clients connected to it everything you move it. With an HD it simple as unhooking in and hooking it up to the new dish

Hutch1814, when you say HD are you talking about a extra receiver? cause that was going to be my next question I was thinking about buying a extra hd dvr receiver but was wondering would I have to pay for another service, or do I just buy the equipment and pay a rental fee each month. Do you know how that works, about the extra equipment. And what you say about the clients I assume that their might be a issue with bringing it back into the house from what you are saying, when I try to hook the genie back up to the house, is that right?

Hutch1814, when you say HD are you talking about a extra receiver? cause that was going to be my next question I was thinking about buying a extra hd dvr receiver but was wondering would I have to pay for another service, or do I just buy the equipment and pay a rental fee each month. Do you know how that works, about the extra equipment. And what you say about the clients I assume that their might be a issue with bringing it back into the house from what you are saying, when I try to hook the genie back up to the house, is that right?

Yes, you answered your own question. I would replace 1 client for just an HD unless you must have an HDDVR with you when you're away from home. The receiver would be on your account so you wouldn't see any extra on your bill. A client and receiver fee are the same so you may have to spend an extra $49 or $99 for the receiver upfront vs the client but the end result would be much less of a head ache. I've had a customer take his genie to Florida and when he got back fought his clients for 2 days until he called and they sent me out. Just my .02 on what I would do. I'm sure somebody here may have a different or better idea though so it'll give you a few ideas on which way you may wanna go

Should of waited for the new Genie HR44 which I think would come in April, it's much smaller than the HR34 and HR24

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.