Genie hr34 hard drive failure?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dvrjunkie

Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
DC Metro
The hard drive on my hr34 genie appears to have failed. The self diagnostic tests the genie runs to try to resolve the problem, tells me it fixes the 5000+ sector errors after working for over 24hrs, but the genie still fails to start correctly. I would like to run gparted on the drive to see if it is readable/salvageable, but the genie box itself is difficult to open. Has anyone ever done this on a genie? If you did, how did you go about opening the case? I'm trying to salvage the recordings on the drive if possible.

I think the drive is toast..opening the case voids the warranty. Do you have the Protection Plan ? Call Direct and have the DVR replaced

Even without the protection plan it is only $20 shipping cost to get it replaced.

With that many sector errors, it likely is something like the read element failing, or similar, instead of a bad sector so to speak.
That in mind, attempts to copy data from the drive will likely end with unusable data anyway.

If you replaced the drive you could possible watch whatever is recovered. If you replaced the DVR you could not, as the recordings are tied to the receiver number.

As for opening, I know the HR24 is 4 clips, two on each side, that you can get by using a small flat screwdriver and some credit cards to keep the clip in. Then there is two clips on the bottom that release the lid once the side clips are up. That is the HR24, I don't know if the HR34 is the same or not, never tried to open one.

Yeah, the drive is probably done for, but I figured this would be a good troubleshooting opportunity, especially if I could recover some/all the recordings or even luck out and repair the drive itself. Dtv has already shipped a new DVR, and I'm not too worried about voiding the warranty for the old one since it appears dead anyway.

Just don't mess something up with the HR34 you need to send back or they can charge you for it when they receive it. I've never read of any cases where this has happened, but they have the right to per the lease agreement. That is why many simply say it is against the terms of the lease and advise against it.

In this case, I'd advise against it as you have a new one coming, the data is likely unrecoverable, and even if you did recover it - the data would not be playable on the new receiver as all recordings are married to the receiver number.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts