Genie Mini output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bvbellomo

Original poster
May 15, 2013
United States
I just got a Genie/Mini in the living room and a bedroom. I need to buy a TV for the bed room, possibly along with a sound system. I might also want a blu ray player for the bedroom, but don't have the budget, space or need for a 2nd full home theater system. Audio is very important to me, and aesthetics is very important to my wife.

I believe the Genie Mini does not have any kind of analog audio out. If this is correct, I need something with a DAC, amplifier and speaker drivers. This could include the TV itself, a sound bar, a home built device (I love DIY electronics), etc.

I believe there is a setting for "Dobly Digital". Does turning this off adversely affect sound quality or simply output the same quality sound as PCM? Is this a reason to find a DAC that decodes Dolby?

Can anyone recommend a cheap Blu ray player that has digital audio INPUT and analog audio output? The blue ray player would function as a receiver.

I have tried reading the Genie manual, unfortunately is the most useless manual I've ever read - completely devoid of any technical details, and full of hand-holding to get you through DirectTv's menus that you should be able to figure out yourself.

I just got a Genie/Mini in the living room and a bedroom. I need to buy a TV for the bed room, possibly along with a sound system. I might also want a blu ray player for the bedroom, but don't have the budget, space or need for a 2nd full home theater system. Audio is very important to me, and aesthetics is very important to my wife.

I believe the Genie Mini does not have any kind of analog audio out. If this is correct, I need something with a DAC, amplifier and speaker drivers. This could include the TV itself, a sound bar, a home built device (I love DIY electronics), etc.

I believe there is a setting for "Dobly Digital". Does turning this off adversely affect sound quality or simply output the same quality sound as PCM? Is this a reason to find a DAC that decodes Dolby?

Can anyone recommend a cheap Blu ray player that has digital audio INPUT and analog audio output? The blue ray player would function as a receiver.

I have tried reading the Genie manual, unfortunately is the most useless manual I've ever read - completely devoid of any technical details, and full of hand-holding to get you through DirectTv's menus that you should be able to figure out yourself.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=H2510PIN&d=DIRECTV-H2510PIN-10-Pin-to-Component-Dongle-for-DIRECTV-H25-and-C31-%28H2510PIN%29-&c=Satellite%20Components&sku=

[url]http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=10pincompos&d=DIRECTV-10PINCOMPOS-10-Pin-to-Composite-Dongle-for-DIRECTV-C31-%2810PINCOMPOS%29&c=Satellite%20Components&sku=

[/URL]

The Genie client has digital audio out, or analog audio if you use the "dongle" HIFI linked to. But in either case, you would need an amplifier since the analog audio is line level. Best solution IMHO would be to use digital audio to a sound bar, if the TV audio does not meet your needs.

The Genie client has digital audio out, or analog audio if you use the "dongle" HIFI linked to. But in either case, you would need an amplifier since the analog audio is line level. Best solution IMHO would be to use digital audio to a sound bar, if the TV audio does not meet your needs.
How much worse (or better) of a signal will I get using the dongle vs running digital out to a receiver or other DAC?
Will a sound bar that decodes Dolby give me any better sound than one that does not?

BTW - the mini client is a C31-700

You need to control the volume after the signal leaves the C31, you need something with an amplifier and volume control.
If you use the digital output to a soundbar that handles DD 5.1 you will get DD 5.1 surround sound, to the extent your soundbar can output it (no rear speakers I assume). If you use the analog audio to the TV you will get PCM stereo. If you use analog audio to the soundbar, you will either get stereo or you will get pseudo surround sound "created" by the soundbar, if it has that capability.
To get full DD 5.1, you would need a surround sound system connected to the digital output.

My guess is that you would be very happy with either digital audio or two channel analog audio to a soundbar. But it's your choice!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts