Genie Pricing/Capabilities

Status
Please reply by conversation.

barco13

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Kansas City Metro
I just wanted to confirm the pricing for a new subscriber on DirecTV with a Genie. I am currently a Dish subscriber, I have America's top 250, out of contract with a VIP722k which sends an HD feed to my main TV & a downconverted signal to my secondary TV. My pricing is $64.99 + $7 (DVR fee). We recently received an HD TV for our 2nd TV and am looking to possibly upgrade, but keep an eye on costs as well. If I stay with Dish it appears I would be charged a $10 DVR fee plus a $7 2nd receiver fee to get the Hopper/Joey setup, & I would have to purchase the equipment (prior to new fee increases). It looks like with the current promotions on DirecTV, I would receive $35 off my bill the 1st year and $10 off the 2nd year which is great. Long-winded setup, but my question is just wanting to confirm the monthly charges for 2 HDTVs. Assuming I had the Choice package, would it just be $64.99 + $15 advanced receiver fee ($25 - $10 for autopay & paperless billing) + $6 2nd TV? With the Genie & 1 Genie Mini, how many HD streams could I record at once? Also, does the $10 discount off the $25 advanced receiver fee ever continue as long as you are on autopay/paperless billing? Thanks in advance, I know I may be ridiculed for jumping ship to save money, but I am just trying to find the most economical way to get a 2nd HD signal without stringing composite cable through my house.

I think you have the pricing structure correct. You can record up to 5 hd shows at one time.

Thanks! Is the genie WiFi ready? If not, I'm assuming there would be an advantage to locate that near my router and hard line it in (video on demand)? Any functionality loss on the TV that has the mini genie?

Just to let you know the 10 that comes off the advanced fee (25 for dvr/hd/mrv) lists as a 24mo discount, not a lifetime, however the contract ends in 24months. The promotions 2yrs ago were different and theyre was a free hd for life promo at that time, so you may be able to keep it after 2yrs but we wont know until 2015 for sure.

All other information is correct, both the genie and genie mini will output hd at the same time. So you have 5 availabe tuners to record on. Just keep in mind that the mini uses 1 of these tuners. So if you are watching live tv in both rooms you can only record 4 shows. If you watch one of them on the main tv, 3 if your watching other programs.

The "genie" can refer to either of two model numbers in directvs system, a hr34 or hr44. The 44 is wireless the 34 is not, the 44 is brand new, not even in warehouses nationwide yet, so getting it is not garenteed and you cant request it by number. Its basically a craps shoot. So if your router is near by you can hardwire it straight in. You can also ask for a wireless cck which stands for cinema connection kit. This basically adds a wireless receiver to any model receiver but may cost extra, im not sure on that.

Worst case senario, the hardwired cck can be installed next to your router if you have an extra coax line near it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Again, thanks for the information. Are there any output differences from the Genie vs the Mini Genie? I would probably have the Mini Genie downstairs for my large TV in basement which is furthest from the router. And have the Genie upstairs for my 2nd TV right next to the router. I am hoping the Mini Genie has digital out, HDMI etc...

It does have HDMI, I'm not sure about the digital out. If you are using HDMI, what would you use the digital output for?

There is a digital coax output in addition to hdmi, but no optical on the client. There is also a port for a breakout cable. This will offer composit or component cables.

I have an lg tv with lg surround sound, what i do is run an optical cable from my tv out to the optical in on my surround sound receiver. That way the 5.1 is passed via the hdmi from directv, my ps3, and xbox360 all via hdmi, then the tv itself sends it via optical to my surround receiver. Simplink controls the volume for me, but thats because both are lg branded. If you have mix matched components you can still do this, but you would need to volume lock the directv remote.

The genie itself (not mini) has a great many more outputs, as well as the ethernet jack, if your going to hardwire the internet that is where you want that box installed.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)