Geosat 3500 VS Linkbox9000

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I still have not tried a back-up on my 9000i or tested the Ali Editor yet,so I can't comment on whether the process will work.(I have read that some owners have been unable to copy the files BACK to the receiver.IDK )But to be on the safe side,make sure you have the receiver updated before you do all the blind scanning and Sat positions.That way you are ok at least until you need a FUTURE update. ;)

Turn the internet on the receiver and do the internet update.It was foolproof here.

I did the latest update over the Ethernet connection, which I like much better than having to go through the serial cable route. :) I did find the option in the menu to save my channel data to the USB Flashdrive, I will do that shortly; I just hope it works. :)

(I have read that some owners have been unable to copy the files BACK to the receiver.IDK )But to be on the safe side,make sure you have the receiver updated before you do all the blind scanning and Sat positions.That way you are ok at least until you need a FUTURE update. ;)

is this something i should do as soon as it arrives? update the software? what is the latest version software? does it upgrade automatically from the ethernet port?

is this something i should do as soon as it arrives? update the software? what is the latest version software? does it upgrade automatically from the ethernet port?

I wouldn't think it's something you would need to do immediately urgent, but I would upgrade the software before blind scanning satellites. Otherwise you will lose everything after rebooting. I just happened to check for updates this past Saturday on the Ethernet connection, and a new software update popped up. It might pop up automatically for you. The receiver automatically connects to the Linkbox server for updates, so there's nothing extra you need to do; other than to verify your Linkbox is connected to the Internet in settings. The software update is dated February 2016, it's so new, there's nothing mentioned about it on the website. There's no mention as to what the new software does or improves, and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I think it might be an update to the main code or IPTV, but not too sure. After my Linkbox 9000i rebooted, I had to blind scan everything all over again, so after I got that all done, I was able to make a channel backup to my USB Flashdrive. :)

As Christopher posted above:Just update before you spend a bunch of time blind scanning,renaming channels,etc as a precaution.

The Manual does a better job describing this,but here is the general steps involved:
1)To turn on internet the first time: Menu > Network Setting > Settings > Select Network and enter your network info.
2)Then go back to Network Setting > Net Choose > Select Wifi or Ethernet.(If it doesn't connect automatically after step one.I forget)

To Update: Menu > Tools > Upgrade By Network > Upgrade mode > I just use All Code. > then hit Start. *
It will list the Current Version and the Newest Version.If you don't have the latest just click Yes.

*Since I rarely watch IPTV, I turn off the network except when it is needed.I also switch off the power strip when not viewing...but that's just me.*

thanks Chris, looking forward to its arrival :)

Hey Mikey11, just wanted to let you know that I just got my 2nd Linkbox 9000i receiver today.

I just figured out that when I set the video resolution on the Linkbox 9000i to 1080p (thinking it was best), it might cause a bad horizontal twitching jitter on your TV; due to a video mismatch between the two. If you set it to 1080i resolution in the Linkbox settings menu, you won't have the bad jitter problem. Or you could also set the Linkbox resolution setting to "By Source" for an automatic adjustment. Just thought I would pass it on to save you and others aggravation.

I thought for awhile that I had a bad box, turns out it's working just fine, I just had the setting done wrong in it.

Reactions: Mikey11 and rodder
thanks for that,

i got mine yesterday, but didnt have a lot of time to play around with it, i scanned in about 5 KU sats, but have not really even looked through all the menus and settings yet,

when i change channels it says the display in the menu bar (480, 1080, etc etc) which i noticed has been changing automatically depending on the channel,

i must say i am very impressed with the picture quality, the setup menus seem very simple to navigate through and use, and the USALS for my motor seems to work perfect,

one minor complaint is that the clock/channel display seems to be excessively bright compared to other receivers, i am using it in my bedroom, and during the night with lights and TV off it lights up the whole room, i don't really want to have to power it off every night, i guess i will get used to my new "night light" :)

thanks for that,

i must say i am very impressed with the picture quality, the setup menus seem very simple to navigate through and use, and the USALS for my motor seems to work perfect,

one minor complaint is that the clock/channel display seems to be excessively bright compared to other receivers, i am using it in my bedroom, and during the night with lights and TV off it lights up the whole room, i don't really want to have to power it off every night, i guess i will get used to my new "night light" :)

Yeah, I really can't complain about the way mine has been working so far. I'm going to see how it does on my motorized Ku Band Dish today. :)

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about the bright front LED display at night, unless you can find something to cover or obscure the front of it without blocking the remote sensor as well. Maybe try some kind of tinting tape or lens tape from the auto store to cover the display. It might help to dim it down some. :)

Reactions: Mikey11

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about the bright front LED display at night, unless you can find something to cover or obscure the front of it without blocking the remote sensor as well. Maybe try some kind of tinting tape or lens tape from the auto store to cover the display. It might help to dim it down some. :)

That can definitely be annoying. I have the same problem with a card reader in my bedroom computer and an Acurite 02032C weather station on my night stand. The card reader has a bright white LED that's always on when powered. There's no option to turn power off to USB in the BIOS so I put a small circle of electrical tape over it. The weather station is supposed to have an adjustable dimmer but many have reported, myself included, that the new design doesn't work properly. It's at full brightness day and night, so bright in fact that I have to put a DVD case in front of it at night! Oh well, the joys of modern electronics! :rolleyes:

yeah thanks guys,

i have only ever seen one receiver that had the ability to adjust/dim the brightness of the display and that was an older Sonicview 8000HD that i had, was an excellent receiver but no DVB-S2

one minor complaint is that the clock/channel display seems to be excessively bright compared to other receivers, i am using it in my bedroom, and during the night with lights and TV off it lights up the whole room, i don't really want to have to power it off every night, i guess i will get used to my new "night light"

This might be a solution,but not a cheap one : U-50 UHF Remote Control Kit for Linkbox and Pansat @ hypermegasat $32
Then it shouldn't matter what you cover the clock with since you are no longer using the front IR Receiver.(?) There is an option in Menu >System > Other to turn off the Front IR if not needed.

I turn off the power strip here when not viewing.
*** If this wasn't such a great FTA box...you'd hardly notice the bright clock...you'd be trying to get the darn thing to work.:whoo

joshrr , Are you able to receive the 101w 4MHz spacing transponders for Decades, Movies! and Heroes & Icons channels? I had checked last month with new firmware and the PIDs are still getting jumbled after scanning and these channels cannot be viewed or recorded.

I don't believe that this and the switch control errors have yet been addressed?

Brian i hooked up my 3500 to try this and i get Decades, Movies and Heroes on the 3500 but not on my 9000i

Brian i hooked up my 3500 to try this and i get Decades, Movies and Heroes on the 3500 but not on my 9000i

I get them fine on my 9000i.I MAY have needed to manually scan one or more in after blind scan.I don't remember that far back.Running the latest official SW that is available by Network Upgrade.Setup is in my signature below.
Heroes 3953/V/2734
Decades 3956/V/2734
Movies 3961/V2734

I noticed on the 3500 the channels initially play with correct VPID/APIDs displayed after scanning, but return at a later time and the VPID/APIDs are overwritten (via SID automatic update) and displaying those of an adjacent channel.

Reactions: . Raine
I will have to look when I get my Linux comp back up and going, but I believe it wasn't either of those. I want to say it was something to do with removing the Glorystar components from the receiver.

It was very early on and that was one of the first things I did, streamlined it by removing things I didn't need that only complicated things for me.

Right now, both my Linux comp and the 3500 are down and all the back-ups/notes/copies I have are [stupidly] on the Linux computer.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)