Geosat 90cm dish install question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi all, what is the purpose of the long bolt that goes through the A hole on the dish mounting clamp? I guess it's a pivot point for the elevation adjustment but not sure. That bolt prevents the dish from sliding fully onto the mounting pole. To put it another way, the bolt sits on top of the mounting pole. Wouldn't that prevent installing the tube from an HH90 motor? Did I put the dish together properly? It's certainly possible I messed up something.

Thanks for your help,
Alan Rovner

Here's a pic of my installation. I guess you are supposed to assemble the dish clamp while mounting it to the HH90 shaft. I assembled the entire dish assembly and then ground the lip off of the HH90 shaft to slide the dish up on to the motor shaft. You don't need any instructions if you have access to a hammer and a grinder! Hope this helps.

I'm sure someone here will chime in with a better solution, but my installation is working fine.

sat1_zpsmviwboxp.jpg

Here is the way it should look. The long bolt is to prevent the dish from rotating on the mount.
Yes you are supposed to assemble it and then slide the whole dish with shaft into the motor; however it will still work ok if you grind the lip off.
_MG_5408.jpg

Reactions: Cosmo Blatz
Here is the way it should look. The long bolt is to prevent the dish from rotating on the mount.
Yes you are supposed to assemble it and then slide the whole dish with shaft into the motor; however it will still work ok if you grind the lip off.

Thanks for the picture KE4EST! I'll remember that for next dish. I wish they'd have put a pic like that in the instructions. Don't need no "insert bolt 'A' in hole 'D' " directions when there is a clear picture!

Hi again the two pictures above show two different scenarios. It looks like KE4EST drilled a hole through the HH90 shaft and stuck the long bolt through it. In the first photo it looks like the bolt was left out completely. I guess it doesn't matter as long as the main clamp with the 3 bolts is secure.

Thanks,
Alan

No I didn't drill a hole, it was already there for the purpose I said.
You really need to put a bolt through the shaft. It can and will still spin even if you have it tight.
If you try to over tighten it and "He-Man" it, the bolts will snap!

The difference in the pictures shows the bracket that bolts to the dish with four bolts in the first picture is upside down. There is an arrow on it that points up, that can be seen in the second picture.

The HH90 I have, had the hole there for the bolt to go through. I've had it for a bout a year and half, so maybe they quit putting a hole in the shaft. I'm pretty sure that KE4EST's had the hole there to start with.

Good luck getting it all set up.

I see that I am bit slow here. Everybody, done did beat me.

Well, it's clear, mine is installed bassackwards! I'll leave it, but drill and tap a hole for a bolt through the collar into the HH90 shaft to keep things from rotating. The dish is tracking the arc perfectly, so I don't want to take everything apart. This is a good thread though. I don't remember there being a hole in my HH90 shaft. That's why I did what I did when I didded it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)