RPB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Burnet County, TX
After spending days and no luck finding
DG380B
SG9120B

(Sadoun and Galaxy Marketing are out of those)
I happened to think ..
I wonder if there is something else I can use, or if those are even what I should be looking for.

I got the GEOSATpro 90cm Dish
from SatelliteAv (currently leaning against front porch rail receiving 101W- 103.0°W AMC 1 Ku :p)

I only ordered the KU setup to tide me over while I put the C/KU system together, and I got the 6' dish partly together today, assembling actuator and polar mount now, digging a hole in rock for a pole taller than my roof is taking a while (buildings+neighbors trees issues)

E-mailed an installer (advertises he does FTA installs too) in a nearby city to ask his charge for digging in rock and if he had a used larger 8'/10'/12' dish (he advertised he had a large supply of used dishes)

Still, I need an HH motor though and am only at this FTA stuff a week now so I don't know what to use or where to go to find it.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Stab hh90 is a very nice USALS motor from the Italian company that developed the USALS protocol.

Maybe place an add in the satelliteguys classified for a hh motor? A member may have a spare that they wish to sell.

That's funny. I was going to recommend the Stab HH-90, too.
I got one years ago, and am very happy with it.

IT used to be that an SG-2100 motor was all the rage.
Then, one of the importers polluted the pool with junk.
As a result, I wouldn't touch one any more for love nor money. :(

Regarding other models, search the forum for comments, if you find one you're considering.

As for 8/10/12 foot BUDs, we talk about finding good ones all the time.
The two in my signature were outstanding bargains with H-H motors!

Thanks for the replies ..

I tried shopping the Interwebs earlier for stab motors and came up blank, but this time "may have ordered" ( I keep ordering stuff and next day getting e-mails that the place I ordered from has none, hopefully this one will have it in stock)
harmonyfta
Stab HH-90 satellite dish motor 1 $69.00 free shipping

So far I got about $800 into the new hobby, and not a strong enough signal to update either MicroHD's firmware yet (actually I get the satellite, not the listed transponder number yet; I can watch TV on that satellite though, till a cat rubbed against the dish leaning against the porch railing with a coffee can holding the position)

After the cat, I just got sports on NBC, I wanted FTA so I could avoid the sports on TV lol
I just hesitate to get on the roof install it, get up again, install it on a motor
I already need to get on the roof to replace an OTA rotor and on another OTA antenna replace a CM4228 UHF antenna with a uhf+vhf one I got.
I need to buy a new ladder.
The installer I e-mailed says he never installed C-band, and has no dishes over 36", so I guess I'll finish my 6 footer too by myself.
(And my health insurance Co wants to pay for me to join a health club LOL),

I bought a SG9120B but it recently died. Not sure how reliable its suppose to be but I'm not buying another. : /

If you can get line of sight to the arc of satellites, I'd go with a proper piece of pipe in the back yard.
About 4' out of the ground , and 3' below, in cement.

- stiff
- shielded from wind
- easy to remove snow
- perfect access for fine tuning & motor alignment

If you can get line of sight to the arc of satellites, I'd go with a proper piece of pipe in the back yard.
About 4' out of the ground , and 3' below, in cement.

- stiff
- shielded from wind
- easy to remove snow
- perfect access for fine tuning & motor alignment

It's kind of a crazy site for satellite, this part of Texas is no tall trees, nothing but cactus ... except my neighborhood where there are trees all in a line South of me, and all in a line East of me (back yard) The best location is about 7 feet above my roof pole braced by the Eaves on the North side of the house for my 6' dish. Most strong winds 70 mph gusts once a year, come from the North (bent the ota antenna elements, but not the 1-1/2" nor 1-1/4' EMT masts

The 90cm dish I'll just mount on a motor on the peak of the roof farthest South to shoot between two trees straight South/ with about a 45 degree arc to the left and a 45 degree arc to the right for about half the available satellites.

One huge oak 100 year old the neighbor has got termites in half of it and that half is falling over, other half should die this year ... I'm being patient :popcorn

When you mention 6 ft dish, do you mean a mesh or full dish? If its mounted 7 feet above your roof I'd be concerned about the wind resistance if it is a full dish. Once you're set up, please post some pics. Like someone once mention here, "we like pictures".

Am using an sg2100 for my 39" dish. No problems whatsoever. It even handles the 6foot panels last month. I made sure mine though was an original and not a clone.

Cheers, K

it's a full dish from Sadoun, the 6 foot c-band prime focus. I intend to get schedule the 3- 1/4" or 3-1/2" (whatever O.D. replaces the tiny stand pipe they sent that's 30" or so tall) 40 steel pipe, so far my hole in the rocky soil is only a foot deep (after using a pick and shovel, it will be deeper and concreted, and exactly plumb with one edge against the fascia on the eave of the house and strapped to that fascia connected to two rafters, one on each side. I'll pour mortar mix down the pipe after it's up (carrying bags of it to the roof will be fun, I'll carry a 2 gallon bucketfull at a time) reason so high above roof (higher than needed for a 6' ) is future replacement with larger 10'-12'-15' ??? mesh ... planning ahead

I'll take the round dish mount that fits atop the pole to the hardware store/welder and get the biggest O.D. and thickest wall available, then fill it with mortar (after making it plumb and supported against 2 roof rafters)

Last edited:
If it were me, (and it is not!) I MIGHT put a tiny dish on the roof (my microwave link for internet.) But a 1m dish or larger is going to be down where the wind can not destroy it or something it would blow into. In TX the Clarke Belt is high in the sky so a tree under a TX look angle would have to be very tall to block signal. Depending what part of that "tiny" state you are in! Corpus - 70 feet from the dish, cleared a 65 foot tree by about 25 feet, (as I recall.)
If you are in the hurricane region, be sure to check with your insurance carrier for coverage - liability included - for the dish at that height. My kids OTA TV antenna needed 2 sets of 3/16 inch guy wires with a 15 foot mast! Better be safe then sorry.

I have two OTA antennas guyed up there already(CM4228 and HD1800U, largest ones I could get) been there a few years., only the elements bent in wind gusts but the months are stable.
I have lots of discone scanner and Shortwave etc antennas to get around to putting up.

I am in hill country, my brother can not get any TV station OTA as he is behind a hill. (No hurricanes here in central TX, I moved from Houston and went through several though)

I have a line of trees and house to the South

My location
Latitude: 30.7614°
Longitude: -98.2208°

thelist

Retro TV
Tuff Tv
My FamilyTv
PBJ
Frost Great Outdoors
on

Name: 137W AMC-7 (GE-7)
Elevation: 34.9°
Azimuth (true): 237.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 232.9°
LNB Skew [?]: 46.5°

obstacle 25' tall tree and tool shows anything 22.8 feet will obscure signal (if I'm using dishpointer right)

thelist

Antenna TV Network (it's in Red, ? WGN)
(I get AntennaTV Network OTA from Houston 225 miles away *some mornings* it's like RTV/MeTv
on
125.0°W Galaxy 14 C
Elevation: 43.8°
Azimuth (true): 224.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 219.9°
LNB Skew [?]: 37.1
32' tall tree on neighbor's property, dishpointer tool says 36' will block signal, I can tell tree to stop growing

Dispointer actually indicates I should get from 22W to 137W ... but the neighbor's shed which is over 8' tall blocking 22W needs to go

I know lots of 'Dishpointer' satellites are not listed on "TheList" but I enjoy dxing and listening to scanners/Ham/Longwave/Shortwave and discovering junk so it will keep me occupied.

Name: 97W GAL Elevation: 54.1°

Azimuth (true): 177.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 172.9°
LNB Skew [?]: -2.0°
arrow-l.png

AXY 19 (G-19)

30.0°W Hispasat 1C.1D Ku
Obstacle over 5 feet obscures signal
(my house, the 8-foot wooden neighbor's fence, their shed, trees ... at my roof level, I'm good, clear line of sight.)
How often will I watch 30W? I dunno, might be more entertaining than the debate tonight

;)
Elevation: 10.0°

Azimuth (true): 101.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 96.8°
LNB Skew [?]: -57.3°
arrow-l.png

I enjoy OTA TV (especially "Local News") sometimes from Shreveport Lousiana - 371.1 mi away on my OTA antennas; height is good on a round world....and when neighbors put stuff in my way

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's a tool that can drive a Realtor crazy when you shop for a house

Enter address, it gives elevation above Sea level (handy for hill country)
daftlogic . com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude . htm

Next time, I'll tell the Realtor I want a house with a C-Band dish and ...

Last edited:
If Hispasat @ 30w is 10 degrees elevation for you ...
You are near the end of your rope.
As for motoring over to it, I doubt any receiver will calculate out that far, and good luck getting the motor over there, too.
I'd say that called for a dedicated dish, probably an inverted one.

I strongly suggest you reconsider a realistic arc, and get your dish down where you can work on it.
Roof-mount motors are for guys with previous experience .

I'm just roof mounting the 90cm KU dish

I'm not roof mounting the large C-band dish, it will be on a pole in the ground, but above roof line like many here
The prevailing strongest wind gust blow it into the supported eave/fascia roof trusses thingys so it's supported 10' off the ground leaning against the house, being pushed into the house instead of away, besides being in cement in the ground, and goes up past the edge of the roof/support/brace about 4 or 5 feet
(this is why I'm trying to find an installer that used to install these ere, lots were done like this, but I can do it with neighbors' help, if I have to)
see photo here this is how they used to install the C-band here, so I'm trying to find an old installer
http://waco.craigslist.org/for/3301356008.html

Last edited:
Clarification:
My point was, dishes where you need be up on a tall ladder OR the roof, are not recommended (by me). :)

Added benefit:
No installer needed.

'nuff said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)