GEOSATpro 90cm Dish needs what HH Motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, I also own that Sadoun 6 foot dish. It's made for a 3" pipe. I would NOT consider using a 3" pipe all the way from the ground up to my roofline!

You need to use a minimum of a 6" pipe (schedule 80), or even larger size pipe (if schedule 40), and step-down the top piece where the dish is mounted to 3" by having a stub welded into the top of your pipe. Even for a 6' dish such as this. A 3" pipe that's 20-25 feet tall, will never hold up to your wind load, and you'll never brace it strongly enough to keep your eves from tearing off in a 75 mph wind. You also need to plant that pole, probably 5 feet minimum into the ground for proper loading. I'd also use at least 1,000 lbs of concrete in that base. My hole I dug for mine is only 4 feet deep, and I have 800lbs of concrete, and another 80lbs down the pole (which is only 7' out of the ground).

Trust me on this, as I've been an installer over a 35 year period, starting with ota towers and roof tripods, and moving up to c-band dishes and such. I'd much rather use too much concrete and braces, then not enough. The whole thing is only as strong as it's weakest point. I have seen 50ft towers bend over like they were made of plastic straw, just from a 20mph wind. All because one brace tore loose at the eves, and there was no cement in the base at all, (just pipes driven into the ground) and no guy wires.

Last edited:
next door neighbor has welder in his shed, welded together a carport last year using pipe.
I had thought about pyramiding up from a larger diameter, thanks for this; I may revise my plan a few times, that's why I got the 90 cm dish while I plan the C-band install and may revise it a few times if I score a mesh dish.

I have 2 large shed buildings I might brace to instead of the house, that would bring height down to 12'-15' from 20-25'

I'll get the 90cm up and plan mo better for the C-band (My brother was like, " just mount it on that telephone pole you have the light on " ...termites ate the bottom of the pole, it's about to fall out of its concrete... lol

the 75 mph gusts is rare, This is where people come to escape when hurricanes hit down South, however in the last 5 years, Ive twice seen gusts in the 60-75 mph range which blew over rock walls/fences and most of the city needed a new roof so, it does occur (but rare) "Things attached to my house" are insured. I had a carport, destroyed by water weight in a storm, insured and replaced ... the old carport scrap which someone was to get paid to haul off and sell for the aluminum scrap, got bought, and cut down in size and made a patio cover which got attached to the house ... but I may not attach it to the house if it's this much trouble.

For now, the 90cm on a motor when the motor arrives, will be on the former DishTV mast/pole on the roof, with two added leg braces on the mast/pole just to get it up fast.

And the old DirectTV mast/pole can hold my scanner antennas a while and I need to be up there to replace a uhf only with a vhf/uhf combo antenna anyway

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts