GeosatPro Dual Standard LNB (SL2)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
I am creating this thread since two SL2 LNBs are at this moment travelling across America to me via USPS. I intend to install one SL2 on the same 1-metre dish alongside my current Digiwave DGL-990D standard LNB for direct comparison. I will configure the SL2 to be accessed via a separate port on the 4x1 switch, plus I will have the motor automatically peak the dish orientation to give maximum signal to each LNB when I use the remote control to quickly switch between LNBs for received signal comparison. I use this method to switch between linear and circular LNBs now and it works well. I'll report results obtained.

I'm hoping once and for all I'll be able to count on receiving DVB-S2 LPB on any night or day I want. Now it's hit or miss, though last night reception was excellent. And the second LNB will be mounted on a dedicated dish for 125W to get those PBS stations. And I'll manually push that dedicated dish over to 103W occasionally and play with the LNB skew to check out those NBC feeds which I've never seen. I've got plans...but I can't do it without product.

I was thinking about trying one out on my motorized ku-band dish, I have the qph031 on it right now, mite grab the sl-1 or sl-2 to test out when I pass by to pick up my MicroHD, just playing the waiting game :)

10 days after the USPS system started tracking the shipment, and 16 days after actually placing order, I sit and wait, watching the status sit at "Customs Clearance". Beginning to think ordering from the US may have been a mistake. I've received shipments from the U.K. and Hong Kong faster.

cyberham said:
10 days after the USPS system started tracking the shipment, and 16 days after actually placing order, I sit and wait, watching the status sit at "Customs Clearance". Beginning to think ordering from the US may have been a mistake. I've received shipments from the U.K. and Hong Kong faster.

Sorry to hear of the shipping frustration, but it actually it sounds quite normal. While your order immediately shipped, the USPS tracking on any package is pathetic at best and it is one of the reasons that we typically do not use USPS for Canadian customers unless requested by the customer. Packages become invisible once they are handed off to Canada Post and enter the dreaded Canada Post Customs department. Two to three weeks for a postal delivery to Canada is not uncommon. Insult to injury will be when a week or so after you receive your package, the tracking might be updated to reflect the package was delivered (possibly with an incorrect date)!

It is interesting that packages are typically delivered within 3 - 4 days within the US, Puerto Rico. Virgin Islands, etc., but takes weeks to reach our great neighbor to the North!

I am sure that some highly motovated postal employee is busy processing your delivery at this very moment! Hang in there an enjoy the hand off of a package from a pony express rider to a slow moving yak..... LOL!

Last edited:
If USPS is not used, there is no practical alternative. The cost is so high including the brokerage fee via any private courier that, unless you live in a city where you can clear the package in person at customs as I've done in Vancouver, there is no reason to shop in the US. For typical purchases (daily life things), we can get most items within Canada. With current exchange, most items are also competitive in price here too. I'm not worried about the 16+ days order-to-delivery; I'm more worried if I ever needed to return to the US: (16+) + (16+) = 32+ return trip. It's good to know: I'll probably go with a Canadian distributor on the microHD then.

As a US based distributor, I have been forever frustrated with the Canadian brokerage and customs system. No doubt that the Canada import process is anti trade. No doubt that the package handling by both of our county's postal services leave much to be desired. There is absolutely no reason that packages should not freely move between our borders..... Other than trying to extract every tax option from a Canadian citizen.

When businesses or a customer sends us small packages from Canada we never are charged a brokerage or customs fees. Postal deliveries from Canada usually take 5 - 7 days.

I am sure that there are great benefits for living in Canada, but commerce with the US it not one of them!

The postal system, in general, is just out-dated and, in my lifetime, the postal system will cease to exist as it currently exists due to its antiquated methodology and out-of-kilter cost structure in the 21st century. For the cost of sending one letter overseas, I could send faxes all morning, or send email and the new technology methods gets information there immediately. For physical deliveries, if capitalism were allowed to operate as it should, private couriers would probably do the job more cheaply and better.

Your solution is to simply have a presence inside Canada to go around this. I learned this from the president of a previous employer. When impeded in business, don't waste time fighting; just go around the obstacle. Need a distributor in Atlantic Canada?

Thank you for the offer to provide Canadian Distribution. Trenton Distributors in Trenton, Ontario is our distribution partner for Canada. The GEOSATpro product line is available through their resellers.

If you wish to be a Canadian reseller, please contact Trenton Distributors at http://www.trentondistributors.com/ or call 888-835-3478.

Please note that Trenton Distributors does NOT sell products directly to the public. They only provide distribution services to resellers. Please do not contact them unless you are a reseller.

Wow thats a long time, it's nice to have a local dealer, I can pick one up here in mtl in about 20 minutes driving time, both drsat in Toronto and rpssat here in Montreal have these items avalable.

I'm familiar with RPS Sat. I've got my eye on them for the microHD. Shipping from TO or Montreal to here is typically a couple of days so quite convenient. I have ordered books from the U.K.: 5 days shipping. Books may get preferred handling (i.e. no real customs check). We have a local sat dealer in Halifax, but he seems not to carry the "finer" products. But he's great for dishes because no shipping costs.

It's Coming! It's Coming!

USPS.jpgCanada Post.jpg :whoo:

I know what you mean. I have had CCTV cameras in Hong Kong on Tuesday and in my hand on Friday!
If that is the C band only, you will like it. Mine works great. Review in different thread.

We will all hope for you it is not broken.......

RT.

7 days in Customs, probably because they were having a hard time looking inside it with the X-ray equipment. [Deleted - Free Trade/Customs/UPS rant]

My previous statement should have read: 7 days in Customs, probably because they were having a hard time looking inside it with the X-ray equipment ?

Tracking indicates the package has arrived at my Local Post Office this morning. My mail lady will carry package in her vehicle and deliver to me (via my central community mailbox where I pick up mail) an arrival card indicating federal tax owing. She will then take my package back to the Local Post Office. I will take card to the Local Post Office tomorrow (cannot go same day since package is riding in mail lady's vehicle all day today), and pay the tax. I then should be able to get my new LNBs tomorrow. Until then, waiting... :playball:

Status
Please reply by conversation.