Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I'm considering buying a new receiver and I want to know the opinions of those that are already using one. Itemizing the good and bad points would be helpful.

Read this, maybe? :rolleyes:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...-dvbs2-stb-photos-and-initial-testing.351697/

I don't know how all the latest firmwares have made the HDVR3500 now, if there's been improvements or not, because I'm running a modified 872? firmware and bailed a long time ago on waiting for fixes/upgrades from SatAV.

It's a decent receiver, I like it quite a bit, but I also fixed all my problems with it myself. I have no idea if any of the issues I was having with the receiver have been fixed in the later firmware releases, my guess would be no, but I could be wrong. Not worth the $160 or so, in my opinion. And if you have problems, be prepared to fix them yourself or live with them.

To my knowledge, my issues with it haven't been fixed in firmware releases, so I'd be screwed if I was the average user. The editor is still not working either, which is silly, I have a working editor, it wasn't hard to fix.

I like the HDVR3500 a lot, but if I wasn't able to fix the issues I had on it myself, it would have gone back for a refund, or in the garbage.

The thread is real looong, but read through the thread on the HDVR3500 before you buy one. Lots of opinions there.

The Linux aspect of it may have some attraction and bearing on your decision, reading some of your past posts, it seems that you use and are pretty comfortable with Linux.

I like the HDVR3500 a lot, but if I wasn't able to fix the issues I had on it myself, it would have gone back for a refund, or in the garbage.

You should not have had to fix the issues yourself. This shows a lack of support for the receiver.

The thread posted is a very long read and nowhere is it ever disclosed if the receiver was ever updated to fix the problems that were listed with it.

It appears that it would be better to wait for a receiver that has better support then this one has had.

The last few pages have people saying they can not update the receiver to the latest firmware now. This receiver has way too many problems in my opinion for it to be even considered as a contender here.

I just wanted to conduct a poll and get brief comments. I didn't want to wade thru 50+ pages of comments in the other thread. Anyway, I don't remember seeing anything about this receiver being 4k (UHD) capable so I might just wait for that to be included in the next generation of receivers.

No thanks.

The Linux aspect of it may have some attraction and bearing on your decision, reading some of your past posts, it seems that you use and are pretty comfortable with Linux.

Yes I am comfortable with Linux. I use it 99.9999% of the time but I do run Windows 7/10 in virtualbox as guest OS. Building linux apps from source code can be a real hassle though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)