Get OTA antenna to stop paying for local channels...help

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Hello
In a continuing effort to lower my Dish monthly bill, the thought just hit me (4 years too late perhaps) that I can get an OTA antenna to see my local channels. I know that I HAVE TO use the Dish OTA USB dongle, and I assume that the OTA channels will appear in the guide since there is an OTA option within the settings that states so.

1. Are there any preferences for the actual antenna to buy? Or will any HD antenna work? I have a gigantic one in the attic, but it's one of those arrow-shaped, 1980's TV antenna.
2. Do the OTA local channels appear in all the guides of the Joeys?
3. If I get a Fire Stick and use Dish anywhere to replace a Joey on 1 of my TV's, will the local channels appear on that TV?

Hello
In a continuing effort to lower my Dish monthly bill, the thought just hit me (4 years too late perhaps) that I can get an OTA antenna to see my local channels. I know that I HAVE TO use the Dish OTA USB dongle, and I assume that the OTA channels will appear in the guide since there is an OTA option within the settings that states so.

1. Are there any preferences for the actual antenna to buy? Or will any HD antenna work? I have a gigantic one in the attic, but it's one of those arrow-shaped, 1980's TV antenna.

An antenna is an antenna is an antenna. I'd try the one in your attic first. Do you have a TV with a tuner you can hook up and check reception?

An antenna is an antenna is an antenna. I'd try the one in your attic first. Do you have a TV with a tuner you can hook up and check reception?
I don't have a way to do so. The antenna is fairly inaccessible in the far end of the attic, and I don't know if there even is a coaxial cable. I suppose that I could sweat it out and find it, but will an antenna from the 80s pick up HD local channels?

you can get hd channels with a paperclip if stations are near enough.....I can pull stations 16 miles away....I do however use a normal antenna.

Reactions: NABRIL
ok. point taken. I will climb up there and see if I find a coax cable that hopefully goes down to the first floor. I will have to attach whatever antenna I use to the Hopper, correct?

ok. point taken. I will climb up there and see if I find a coax cable that hopefully goes down to the first floor. I will have to attach whatever antenna I use to the Hopper, correct?

Can you post your TV Fool report from www.tvfool.com ? That will help us determine what you should be able to receive at your location

Can you post your TV Fool report from www.tvfool.com ? That will help us determine what you should be able to receive at your location

Thanks numb and all. Here is the report, and I would get quite a few channels, though I'm only interested in the majors (ABC, NBC, etc).
TV Fool

I think that I own an old antenna with rabbit ears and a round loop in the middle; it will be easier to try that, though I need that USB dongle first.

Thanks numb and all. Here is the report, and I would get quite a few channels, though I'm only interested in the majors (ABC, NBC, etc).
TV Fool

I think that I own an old antenna with rabbit ears and a round loop in the middle; it will be easier to try that, though I need that USB dongle first.

Most of your channels are in the Green, so yes, a good set of rabbit ears would probably work well.

Surely enough I connected an old RCA desktop antenna with 2 straight antennas and a center loop to one my tv's, and it found a bunch of channels that I didn't know existed. Cool. So, I will need to get that USB dongle for the Hopper, and I will connect this antenna. Maybe 1 day, I'll bother with the massive antenna in the attic.
Do I HAVE TO buy the dongle from Dish? Or can I get it elsewhere?
Thanks to all

Reactions: charlesrshell
Surely enough I connected an old RCA desktop antenna with 2 straight antennas and a center loop to one my tv's, and it found a bunch of channels that I didn't know existed. Cool. So, I will need to get that USB dongle for the Hopper, and I will connect this antenna. Maybe 1 day, I'll bother with the massive antenna in the attic.
Do I HAVE TO buy the dongle from Dish? Or can I get it elsewhere?
Thanks to all

Dish depot, solid signal. Those are good suppliers. eBay also has them as well if you want to go that route.

Reactions: charlesrshell