Getting 118.7

TFLeonard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I would like some help sorting through various repsonses from Dish Tech support.

A channel I subscribe to (TV5) is moving from 61.5 to 118.7. I have been told that in order to continue to receive all my programming I will need to "See" 4 satellite locations in total.

I have a legacy setup with three dishes pointed at 61.5, 110, and 119 going through a switch 64 into a 622 DVR.

One tech told me that I just needed to add a fourth dish with an FFF LNBF pointed at 118.7 and plug it into my SW64. That would be my preference because I don't want to just throw out all my equipment for one channel.

I called tech support back, and the next person gave me a completely different story: that I needed to get rid of all my dishes and replace them with a Dish 1000.

My gut tells me the second is almost true, except that I think I would still need the 61.5 dish, after all, its pointed drastically differently from the other dishes and it would be a technical miracle for the Dish 1000 to get 61.5 while generally pointed at the other satellite locations.

What I really want to know is if I can do a simple addon to my existing setup with a fourth dish, and maybe a switch and LNBF upgrade, or am I forced into the DISH 1000 solution?

The LNB for 118 will not work with your SW64, If you want 118 you will need DP LNBs and a DP 44. You can get 118/119 with 105 or 121 Super dish and the 118/119 LNB assy from a 500+ or 1000+ for about $69

Because DISH is moving the programming they should give you a free upgrade to a DISH 500+ or a 1000+ depending on programming you subscribe to. I suspect a dish 500+ should do with the 61.5 kept for HD. If all you have is the 622 it is compatible with all of DISH's LNBs and dishes.

Since it looks like I can't get 129, there's no point in getting a 1000 plus dish. Therefore a 500 plus and Sw44 would do the trick. Since I'm far south east, I'm a bit reticent to dump my nice big dedicated dishes for 110 and 119 especially during the summer rain storms.

Is there a antenna/lnbf kit that will allow me to add a fourth dish strictly for 118.7? I would then replace my Sw64 with the sw44 plus and be OK? I could also make new dish bigger to maximize my signal strength in bad weather.

Since it looks like I can't get 129, there's no point in getting a 1000 plus dish. Therefore a 500 plus and Sw44 would do the trick. Since I'm far south east, I'm a bit reticent to dump my nice big dedicated dishes for 110 and 119 especially during the summer rain storms.

Is there a antenna/lnbf kit that will allow me to add a fourth dish strictly for 118.7? I would then replace my Sw64 with the sw44 plus and be OK? I could also make new dish bigger to maximize my signal strength in bad weather.

It wouldnt be a SW44, it would be a DPP44

You would need to get the D500+ which is a bigger dish than the DIsh500 is right now

I'm south and just did it. Bought a dishpro 500+ lnb from Sadoun, one of the proud sponsers of this forum (it included an extra single dispro lnb that I added to my inventory). I popped the shell cover off it per pics that Iceburg provided in this forum (opens up the barrel so it will fit in the collars of large dishes). The back of the 500+ internal lnb is black so I taped the back with aluminum reflective air conditioner tape to cut the heat load. Replaced my 119 lnb on a 2.4 M with the new one and got instant reception for both 119/118.7) using a DP44 switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts