Getting a bad feeling

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badhat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Moses Lake, WA
The information for free to air is endless. Many people state facts and specific opinions about everything. I am freaking out because I finally was able to order a Fortec Mercury II and a SG2100 motor to go with my primestar dish. So here's where I get freaked out... through alot of reading I have seen people say that smaller dishes and free to air doesn't work well in the northern United States. I have this terrible feeling that I am going to be very disappointed. My package is due to arrive tomorrow and I will have my new goodies tomorrow night. I have to ask though... did I just waste $200?

No you will be in good shape. Primestar dishes are decent sized dishes for picking up anything Ku. I'm not sure where you're hearing that information.

The information for free to air is endless. Many people state facts and specific opinions about everything. I am freaking out because I finally was able to order a Fortec Mercury II and a SG2100 motor to go with my primestar dish. So here's where I get freaked out... through alot of reading I have seen people say that smaller dishes and free to air doesn't work well in the northern United States. I have this terrible feeling that I am going to be very disappointed. My package is due to arrive tomorrow and I will have my new goodies tomorrow night. I have to ask though... did I just waste $200?

Primestar dishes are better than most , especially if you have a 90cm or larger. The 84E is good too. Don't worry :) The Primestars were designed to pick up a 50 watt bird back in the 90's. Most satellites have double the power now.

I am freaking out because I finally was able to order a Fortec Mercury II and a SG2100 motor to go with my primestar dish. So here's where I get freaked out... through alot of reading I have seen people say that smaller dishes and free to air doesn't work well in the northern United States.

Where did you read that? I'm in a northern state too (Minnesota) and my 30" dish works great for 99% of the FTA up there. I also have a couple Primestar dishes and those are bigger so they work great

The only issues I have is on Satmex5 which has a couple Spanish stations. The footprint for that sucks in the Northern states so its iffy. All the other satellites work just fine here in MN and will work fine in WA :)

I'm with the others. I have a 36" dish up here in Canada and I get everything just fine, so you should have no problems with a smaller dish further south.

Well that's good to hear since I have the Primestar 75E. It's unfortunate that I have to work in a different town today but UPS site says my stuff is scheduled for delivery. I caught the false information here in the forums can't remember where and somewhere else that wasn't here. I probably just read into it too much. I imagine after I get setup and running this weekend I will probably have a few more questions. Now I am excited!

You'll be fine. I have a .75m Channelmaster (same as your Primestar) here in eastern Maine and I get excellent signal on G10R with an invacom LNB.

enjoy! Eric

I just did it and I'm still a newbie

You will be fine. I just did the same thing with a DirecPC dish my brother gave me.

I also picked the Fortec Star Merc II and so far I'm very happy with that choice.

Pointing the dish was a bit of a challenge since I had only done that once before but a Walkie-Talkie and patient 9 year old helped on that one. (the 9 year old was in the house and I was on the roof) :)

So my motor and receiver are here. Now I can't wait for daylight tomorrow. I have noticed though... do I really have to modify my dish mount to accept the motor tube size or do I have to order the proper tube for my dish mount? Any recommendations?

Hi badhat, I'm about 90 miles south of you and the 75E primestar is so much easier and stronger for me than the GeoSat 90cm. I use G25 mostly (no motor) and Q on 75E is consistantly 65 or better. with the 90cm I seldom get above 35...If I go to another sat. it is easy to aim and easy to come back to G25 (or AMC4).

I am sure those with more knowledge then me will comment on the tube size, but i am quite sure I saw that the correct size tube is available to order. BTW my main problem here is wind, over 35 mph tonight - then the generator quit! I think Moses Lake is calmer.

Hi badhat, I'm about 90 miles south of you and the 75E primestar is so much easier and stronger for me than the GeoSat 90cm. I use G25 mostly (no motor) and Q on 75E is consistantly 65 or better. with the 90cm I seldom get above 35...If I go to another sat. it is easy to aim and easy to come back to G25 (or AMC4).

I am sure those with more knowledge then me will comment on the tube size, but i am quite sure I saw that the correct size tube is available to order. BTW my main problem here is wind, over 35 mph tonight - then the generator quit! I think Moses Lake is calmer.

I am so glad to hear from someone close by that I shouldn't have many problems. I am going to point my dish at any satellite I can find tomorrow and wait for the correct tube for my motor. On the wind comment yeah I think 35mph is a bit excessive but it's (the weather) is so unstable here. We just never know what we are going to get.. sand storms, wind storms, you know what I mean.

chapelrun: haha on the 9yo comment. I have 4 kids... that gives me a great idea. :)

Well scratch the new tube thing since I only see it to 50mm which is 2 inches if I did my math right. The mount on the dish right now is attached to a 2 1/2" tube. Wait a second... I would imagine the dish mount once tightened might clamp clamp to 2 inches. I have seen some of the mount modifications in these forums but I am more about the neat and clean look. I do have some directv and dish network dishes laying around. I will have to see what I have that might work. I am so impatient.

I haven't done it, but some people on here have used PVC as a sleeve over the SG2100 tube to get it to 2-3/8". Which is what the Primestar should be. But whatever you can come up with, should work....?

I haven't done it, but some people on here have used PVC as a sleeve over the SG2100 tube to get it to 2-3/8". Which is what the Primestar should be. But whatever you can come up with, should work....?

Yes I did google that a little while ago tonight.... pointed to a post in 2005 on these forums. Since I am so impatient I might give that a try.

One possible problem is the weight of the Primestar AZ-EL mount on the motor, but since you have a smaller Primestar dish, that may not be a problem. If it is, many forum members here have found ways to fabricate lighter mounts that work very well :)

One possible problem is the weight of the Primestar AZ-EL mount on the motor, but since you have a smaller Primestar dish, that may not be a problem. If it is, many forum members here have found ways to fabricate lighter mounts that work very well :)

Yeah I am all about some fabrication. I am getting dressed now to go out and set it all up. I am just going to set it up stationary until I make my decision on what I want to do. A couple days seems like a very long time to me to wait for another motor tube. Plus I have two identical dishes with mounts so I have options. Ok now to figure out which satellite I want to find today. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)