Getting a different market

doncaruana

Original poster
Jan 11, 2014
Michigan
Not sure where all this stands and apologize if this is something I shouldn't ask but...

A while ago my dad bought a house that is just outside the metro area he's lived all his life (Detroit). When he got dish, they put his service address as an address in the Detroit zone so he got Detroit channels instead of Toledo.

Now, he's bought a new house that's in the same predicament. I'm not even sure they can or will do what they used to do, but if they could, isn't a matter of the service address and controlled by dish proper? The reason I ask is when he called dish to setup an install at the new house he asked and they told him the installer could set it up. But as long as he's pointed in the right direction and getting the right spot beam, isn't that something that dish would just flip on and off? The installer really doesn't have anything to do with what channels you receive, right?

In other words...I think they fed him a line just to get him to commit to a 2 year contract.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The DMA (Designated Market Area) that you reside in isn't controlled by DISH they just assign your broadcast stations by your address. DISH has been found guilty of violating Federal Law so they no longer blatantly thumb their nose at it. You might want to search for "MOVING".

Your local stations that you receive are determined by the zip code where your dish service is located. I receive my locals from Youngstown, OH 7 miles south of me in another community receive their locals from Pittsburgh, PA

I am not sure if there is another way around but maybe someone else could chime in and let you know

So service address = mandated local channels, right? In other words, installer still has nothing to do with it. Obviously he couldn't tell them he actually installed it in a different location...

Thanks folks!!

So service address = mandated local channels, right? In other words, installer still has nothing to do with it. Obviously he couldn't tell them he actually installed it in a different location...

Thanks folks!!

Yep nothing the installer can do, it all revolves around the service location or address on the account.

You misunderstand what DISH meant and it has nothing to do with getting you sign. The Installer will call in to DISH after the install from the house, give the information needed and DISH turns on the service. The installer then (Should) be sure it is working correctly. No doubt the CSR upon hearing your question on the market you are in just felt it best to have the installer call in to get it set up rather than you. That is what they meant by the installer setting it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts