Getting a new box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cr8zy1337

Original poster
May 14, 2007
So I have adelphia cable in Los Angeles, owned by Time Warner now. I have the service I need and everything but now I want to get a new box for another room and then I'm planning on taking it with me to college. As far as I've heard it is not illegal to purchase your own box and use it as long as you pay for your service. However, I'm just wondering if I get a Motorola DVR box or something of the sort will it work with my cable? I already know what types of boxes they give people in my area the Motorola Moxi and the 6416 i believe. Adelphia told me that I can only get cable with one of their boxes because they look for a certain serial number or something of the sort but it kind of seemed like they were saying that so I would rent a box from them.

Do I have any other options besides renting a box from them?

none of the major cable companies will let you own your own box. some of the mom and pop cable companies will let you do what you want.

welcome to the site.

they didn't say that I am not allowed to have my own box, only that it will not work. So they basically implied that if I can get it to work then I am fine because I already am paying for the service.

So if I get a box online will it work if it is the same model as the one they give out in my area?

yes you can own as many boxes as you want, but unless you do something illegal, you will not get them to work with digitial channels.

i have a hard time believing that a cable company said if you can get a box to work, then you are ok.

they said you can have your own box but it won't work, which leads me to believe that if i can get it to work then i am fine. i am already paying for the service so I am not stealing anything.

i don't understand why people buy boxes online or through ebay if it won't work unless you do something illegal.

i don't understand why people buy boxes online or through ebay if it won't work unless you do something illegal.

Because they are stupid or just don't know any better. Once they get screwed over, they more than likely relist it themselves to get there money back!

Bottom line - you will never get any of the current Motorola or SA boxes to work. They use a rotating encryption scheme and there has been NO ONE that has broken (by passed) it. In the US, SA & Moto do not sell to the end user.

However, per July (or June) 1, the FCC says that all new boxes put into use in the field must employ removable encryption (cablecards). Existing boxes are grandfathered in. That MAY lead to those manufacturers (or others) to release new end-user products. If so, you would still need to get (rent) a cablecard from the cable company - which seems to average $3 per card currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts