Getting a new roof; advice for dish placement

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Michigan
Well it's time for a new roof. Unfortunately my current dish (1000+) is installed directly on the roof, with an easy to access switch in the attic.

I would like to move my dish to my backyard, installed on my deck for easier access..but doing so will require a lot of work and new cable that I don't have. I would be moving the dish to the other end of the house. I can route the cables through the basement easily.

Does Dish offer any compensation, or a service to move a dish when getting a new roof? I'd rather not re-install on the roof if I can help it. But for the sake of convenience (no re-wiring) I was thinking of taking the dish down for the new roofers, then just putting it right back up (lag bolts directly into the roof). I was going to go up to the roof today to check out the facia under the roof, if it can support the dish I could move it just about 8" and I'd be there.

Am I missing any alternative installation methods/suggestions?

Thanks

I would call dish and ask them for what they would charge for reinstalling the dish. I would think if you been a long time customer you should be able to get a good deal, but you never know. I also beleive Dish would rather not install on roofs anymore.

Too bad you've already got a D1000+. That sounds new... You could possibly upgrade to something that requires a new dish, commit to 12-mo or 18-mo, and Dish would install a new one.

Most service calls that I've arrived to and that state something to the effect, "roof-work just done...roofers didn't place dish correctly", usually amount to the typical $29 service call if you have DHPP.

Generaly relocation of the dish is free within a 10 foot range, outside of that it is considered a reinstall, with what your doing that is an existing customer reinstall and there will be a charge. Now heres some good news, if you go to the gold sponsor forum one of the sponsors has a specialty roof mount kit that would actually work out for you and keep your roof looking alot better than it does now. You can click on Sadouns link at the top and look for the comdeck mount, this option would be a better bet than having to deal with the hassle of a reinstall, you might even want to get a pair for future upgrades.

Well it's time for a new roof. Unfortunately my current dish (1000+) is installed directly on the roof, with an easy to access switch in the attic.

I would like to move my dish to my backyard, installed on my deck for easier access..but doing so will require a lot of work and new cable that I don't have. I would be moving the dish to the other end of the house. I can route the cables through the basement easily.

Does Dish offer any compensation, or a service to move a dish when getting a new roof? I'd rather not re-install on the roof if I can help it. But for the sake of convenience (no re-wiring) I was thinking of taking the dish down for the new roofers, then just putting it right back up (lag bolts directly into the roof). I was going to go up to the roof today to check out the facia under the roof, if it can support the dish I could move it just about 8" and I'd be there.

Thanks

I had my roof done 2 weeks ago (ranch house here in seaford, ny). I purchased 2 commdeck dish mounts instead of screwing lag bolts thru the roof again. The commdeck mounts are a better way of saving money and headaches down the road. Had the roofer place the mounts over the same location (61.5 & 110/119)
as the previous installation. I suggest you take a look at the commdeck.com or sadoun.com and look for the installation video just to give you an idea what these mounts may be easy for you to put on the roof. Besides, i re-installed both dishes, peaked and completed the alignment. Easy if your tech savy, but not to difficult.....rolou21.

Great everyone thank you for your thoughts. I am going to look into the roof mounts.. I have done several complete Dish installs myself (my own, various homes and friends) so I'm not afraid of doing it all...it is time that is the concern. :)

I thought more about this last night, and I may just move the dishes to the under the deck location on the other side of the house to make it easier for me to access-I would be able to easily get to the dish to clean it off/whatever with a 6' stepladder.

However, after I stain my deck today I might sing a different tune - simply whatever takes less time right now. The mount sounds like a good option.

Thanks again!

I never liked having my dish on my roof, and therefore I reworked it so that it would be pole mounted in my front yard. It would IMO be so much better to get your dish off of your roof. No more climbing onto roof to check dish, clean snow off of dish, etc...

or you can alwasy get non pen mount. that bends. so you can put it on the peak.
DS5046.JPG

going to go up to the roof today to check out the facia under the roof, if it can Does Dish offer any compensation, or a service to move a dish when getting a new roof? I'd rather not re-install on the roof if I can help it. But for the sake of convenience (no re-wiring) I was thinking of taking the dish down for the new roofers, then just putting it right back up (lag bolts directly into the roof). I wassupport the dish I could move it just about 8" and I'd be there.

Thanks
I don't think Dish allows for this but you can call and check..Thing is ,even if they do, somebody is going to have to pay the guy doing the work..

If the Dish is mounted in the same general location and all the installer has to do is re-align it, then a $29 DHPP service call will solve the problem.

If you need the Dish moved, your probably best calling a local installer. Sounds like your in the Detroit area and if you wanted to give the Dishstore a call I can have you speak with one of my technicians and for a fee they could come out and professionally move the Dish and switch.

If the Dish is mounted in the same general location and all the installer has to do is re-align it, then a $29 DHPP service call will solve the problem.

If you need the Dish moved, your probably best calling a local installer. Sounds like your in the Detroit area and if you wanted to give the Dishstore a call I can have you speak with one of my technicians and for a fee they could come out and professionally move the Dish and switch.

you are right but alot of times the roofers will take the dish down, take out all the cables and rip everything out, and its prob gone be re-install. more than 2 hours time allowed for service call.

dont forget if you get DNS tech. the office will require him to do DNS standard install. so he can pass QC.

or you can alwasy get non pen mount. that bends. so you can put it on the peak.
DS5046.JPG

Ok idea but those things are ugly when you have to load it down with cinder blocks.

you are right but alot of times the roofers will take the dish down, take out all the cables and rip everything out, and its prob gone be re-install. more than 2 hours time allowed for service call.

dont forget if you get DNS tech. the office will require him to do DNS standard install. so he can pass QC.

Most of the time the roofers will remove the dish, half the time they put it back up and ninety percent of the time the use roofing nails to put it back in.

Doesnt matter if its dns or sub, all techs are required to do a standard install thats up to code just as dish techs do.

You are going to have to pay for 2 hours of service at $59 per hour. You must pay this since it is not a trouble call, but a service change. So you will have to pay the fee since the dish has already been put in a set spot. The only way they would move it for $29.99 if there was a tree blocking it, or the mount was unstable. Oh yeah make sure the roofers don't put the dish back on, this will void your warranty for your roof!

It will not void your roof warranty if you use CommDeck or RetroDeck to re-mount your roof if installed per the installation instructions.

Thanks for the additional comments.. I'll do this move myself, have a great location on the underside of my deck (over a walk-out basement) that will give me very easy access to the dish & switch, and get it off of the roof. Just need to purchase some RG6U cables & connectors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)